Do any of you actually use a 30 round handgun mag?

TXAZ

I just bought a Beretta M9A1 and was looking for 15-17 round magazines online. (Legal in Texas and most of the US).

I ran across a fair number of aftermarket 30 round magazines. Question to you, is do any foo you actually own or use a 30 rounder for your handgun?

I use a 33 round magazine for my GLOCK 26 when I go to the range. I suppose I could see using it around the house, but never have. In general I think they’re great for range use, but can’t imagine carrying one.

I have a 33-rd magazine for my Glock that I have mostly as a novelty item. I fully loaded it once and got bored shooting it 1/2 way through the magazine and haven't touched it since (why shoot 33 rounds out of a pistol, when I have an SMG that's much more fun?).

Aside from the novelty of having them, the only practical use I can actually see for them is if you're using something like a Glock 18, Beretta 93R or if you're in the zombie apocalypse and need lots of rounds.

that seems like it would really throw off my shooting to go from a 1 pound mag to nothing, could be fun though

They are good for pistol caliber carbines that accept common pistol mags.

There are options that use either most commonly Glock or Beretta mags. So for that use, they make more sense.

I have some 20 round mags (Beretta) and some 22 round mags (Glock .40) that I bought for competition purposes. Never used a 30 round mag in a handgun.

Many folks carry their five-sevens with the 10 round floorplate extension (30 total). Probably a couple folks who carry PMRs, too.

TCB

I ran across a fair number of aftermarket 30 round magazines. Question to you, is do any foo you actually own or use a 30 rounder for your handgun?

I use them and don't waste you money on after market. Go to the Beretta web site and the were selling them for $40 and if you buy 2 they are $35 each. These are Beretta factory magazines and worth the money. I tried the cheap 33 round magazines for my Glock 26 and had to replace the "new springs in the new mags" with Wolff springs. The ones that came with the mags looked like the were crippled up when I took them out, pure JUNK

Yes, a thirty round mag has a great purpose . . . .

Yes, I have a 30 round mag for my Beretta 92fs. It serves well for exactly the purpose I bought it for . . . loads of fun!
Live well, be safe.
Prof Young

I have a few 170mm long mags for USPSA open division, they hold
28 or so. Have a couple of G18 mags--I've tried them out but I don't
use them often.

I have one for my CZ but it's ridiculous and I've only used it a couple times. Really after 15 rounds I'm ready to take a break and reload. I get the shakes otherwise.

Now a 30 rounder in my CX4 Storm would be a different matter. 17 rounds runs out quick in that thing.

I have a 30 (or maybe it's 33) round mag for my BHP. I use it sometimes at the range. But I like 20's a lot better; they don't stick out the bottom nearly as far. I bought a bunch of those from CDNN (I think they were Taiwan police surplus), but I seldom load them all the way up.

nope. I've used 15 round single stack mags for 1911s... they're pretty much just for fun. no real world application at all as far as I can see.

Nope. The highest capacity mag I've got is a 20 round MecGar mag for my PT-92. I bought it just to see how it works and for range fun. It works just fine, I might pick up a few more just to have on hand. If they made a 30 for it I might be tempted... ;)

Do any of you actually use a 30 round handgun mag?

I've got a 30 rounder for a Glock. Don't seriously use it. It's a good way to blow through $10-$15 worth of ammo, just like that, for no particular good reason.

Now, if I had something like a Kel Tec Sub2000 that used Glock magazines, then I might keep some around for use.

Last edited:
Nope. The highest capacity mag I've got is a 20 round MecGar mag for my PT-92. I bought it just to see how it works and for range fun. It works just fine, I might pick up a few more just to have on hand. If they made a 30 for it I might be tempted... ;)

one

We bought one with the intention to use it in 3-gun, but the match directors won't allow it.

On road trips, we load the mag up and throw it in the war bag. Impractical, yes, but somehow comforting.

Back