discoveries... while hanging the rifles on the wall in my walk in gun safe

I have a Remington 700 DBM in 280 caliber.
It has a 24 inch stainless steel barrel and receiver, a real nice synthetic stock and a 3x9 Leuopold scope mounted on it.

The rifle feels great to hold and shoot, it looks great and will shoot 3/4 inch groups at a 100 yards all day long and that's using Remington factory ammo.
If you could find one like it I would bet you would be extremely pleased to have it on your wall.

Also have a sweetheart of a Savage 99 in 300 Savage caliber. You might want to consider some old Savage 99s to hang on your wall, they are great rifles.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

off topic... but here are a couple of my range...

thread on my range... here http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300681

BTW... talked to my retired machinist buddy, & he has a 7 Mag, that he wants to sell, & told me he'd sell me the 444 Marlin bolt action if I wanted it... so if I sell the Remington 600 in 6mm Remington, I'd have room for the 7 Mag, the 35 Whelen the LGS has, & the 444 Marlin... I think that will give me a well rounded bolt action "library"... another buddy was forced to sell his 7 Mag rifle many years ago, & still has a bunch of empty cases & a few handloads ( he's had a few handload "issues" in the past, so I'd likely pull the bullets, & dump the powder, but I could help him out, & get some extra cases )... my buddy with the rifle, likes to sell the dies & cases he has as a package, when he sells a rifle, so I'd get the 7 Mag dies, & a few more cases... the 444 I already load for, for a specialized Contender barrel, but again I'd get the dies that I could dedicate for this rifle & more cases with that rifle... just would leave me looking for 35 Whelen stuff

that would make my list look more like this...

17 Mach 2
17 Fireball
22 Hornet ( fast twist )
22-250
25-06
7 X 57
7 mm Magnum
30-06
338 Win Mag
35 Whelen
375 H&H
.416 Rigby
444 Marlin
53 caliber

That looks better... :D

Last edited:
Sharps .50-90 or .50-110 would put some higher end kick back in your collection. Someone mentioned a Remington 600 in 6mm---.244, I like mine and it will outperform the .243 by a margin. Your 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers. Ever think about going with a .220 Swift? Where's the venerable
.22LR? When the EWOS go out---you'll be in better position than most.

Maybe you shouldn't be focusing on cartridges at all because with your collection whatever you buy will overlap anyway. Time to maybe invest in some old G&H custom rifles based on the 1903 Springfield or similar. Pick up that hard to find rifle you always dremed of like a true Kurz short action mauser in .250-3000. Or find a custom rifle from a long dead or current gunsmith that you always admired.

Well I did some horse trading, & got a really nice older Remington 700, in 35 Whelen ( LGS didn't think it has ever been shot, came from an estate, & the previous ower had several 35 Whelans ) this is a really nice looking rifle, has quite a few handling dings, but mechanically looks unfired...

I think it looks nice between my 2 stainless Stalkers on the right side...

attachment.php

I'm still trying to decide, what to fill the spot ( 2nd down on the left ) between 7 X 57 & 30-06... the 2 I'm most considering right now ( partly because my current 7 X 57 is on a 93 Mauser, so I can't really load that one at max ), is 280 Remington, or 7mm Magnum... I have a buddy that would sell me either, & another buddy that has alot of extra 7 mag cases... I'm leaning towards the mag, because there will be more jump over my 93 Mauser, & I already did a 30-06 base cartridge with the 35 Whelen... but I have yet to look at either rifle... one may just wink & smile at me, & whisper "take me home" either would be a fine addition...

Last edited:
came down with some nasty "crud" & don't want to expose my home bound retired buddy to it, so I haven't gotten introduced to his girls yet, & got the chance to pick one...

I did get my foam & vinyl installed on my storage benches under my bolt guns though ;)

attachment.php

the 7mm Magnum my buddy had, turned out to "be the one" so I'm now happy with my bolt collection, after picking up the 35 Whelen a littlew while back... still need to swap out my old Herters 270 international for a more modern .270 to keep in kind with it's brothers... thinking a Tika for the .270 exchange

Back