discoveries... while hanging the rifles on the wall in my walk in gun safe

Better bullets available for the 338-06 over the 35 Whelen. But I think for a guy hunting Black bears from a stand. a 35 Whelen is a great cartridge.

You've got the .257Roberts or Weatherby in some ocnfiruration I hope. I watched a nice one go in a recent auction. The winner left before the ammo came up for bid though.:eek:

What is the intended purpose of these rifle to hunt with, or just use the range? If the rifles are just to shoot I did find some pleasurable cartridges the play with. One that comes to mind is the 7-30 Waters, I would find an old Savage 340 in .30-30 and rebarrel it.

With your 7X57 and .270 I see no need for a 7mm RM or .280/.280 AI. If you want a bigger rifle and since you like M700 try and locate a 700 Classic in .300 H&H or 8X57. Another two interesting cartridges to me are the .358 Win and 9.3X62 and if I could find one reasonable a .45-70 built on a Siamese bolt action rifle.

you need a 7mm rem mag, 303 brit, 8 mauser and 7.62x54R....
then I would say that you have a very well rounded collection.

If you have gaps in your gun collection, I have giant caverns... each his own.

He he, agreed. :)

If you have anything between a .223 and a .30-06, I'd say that was sufficient. We all seem to slice and dice the differences between these calibers all day long, but they really are very close in size to one another. Fractions of a inch.

338-06 is too close to either the 30-06 or the 338 Win Mag ( since I handload ) IMO, to invest in a rifle in that caliber... 257 Roberts is too close to the 25-06 I already have... 7-30 is too close to the 7 X 57 that I already have... I have several 45-70's, just not one that fits in the bolt action rack... that or a 458 Win Mag, would go nicely under the 416... 303 & 7.62 X 54 are both too close to the '06 IMO, & I have another rack for "milsurps", & have a X54R in that rack... to go into this rack, the rifle would need to be "sporterized" my 7 X 57 is a sporterized Mauser likely done up in the 70's ???

I sat & looked at the rifles last night while I was sealing the inside of the ammo storage bench under these rifle racks, & right now I'm leaning towards 35 Whelen & 458 Win Mag... but still open for suggestions

It's been said, "Beware of the man with one rifle. Because he most likely knows how to use it."

J2... heard that quote before... I think that may have been true "back in the day" but today... I think there are more single gun owners that don't know how to shoot, as there are those that do...

I have my own range, so I get the chance, whenever I can find the time... doesn't make me a sharp shooter or anything, but as a collector, I can probably pick up just about any gun, & know what caliber it is, & how to shoot it, well enough to out shoot someone else who is also not familiar with it...

they bring me joy, & now that I can display them on the wall, they bring me alot more, & I sleep so much better at night, knowing they are "really" safe, when I'm not at home

Have you shot or hunted much lately? If not, and you have that many rifles and kept them in crates, does it really matter what you buy next?

Just cut up a list of cartridges, put them in a hat, and draw one. Or...just go out and shoot a few that you already have and enjoy them. You're a very lucky guy and don't even know it.

I thank God every day... I have a great life... I do love to hunt, but lately work has been busy in the fall, so I haven't been out the last couple years... that said, big game ( deer ) around here are shotgun slugs, or handguns, so the last several years I went, I used Contenders...

... was out "west" hunting Elk / Mulies a couple years ago, & took the 338 & 375 out west with me...

so since I have my own 300 yard rifle range, most of the center fire stuff just gets exercised on the range... the lil 17 Mach 2 has taken more than it's share of Rabbits, those pesty Red Pine Squirrels, & Racoons the dog has treed over the last couple years...

I'm trying to have a good balance between caliber range, & power through out the bolt actions in my collection... I know I'm a lucky guy :o

Willing to give out any info. or pics on the walk-in safe room?

i've always wanted one.

Did you take a spare bedroom and reinforce the frame and add vault doors?

I haven't put up any pics... yet... but have a thread here...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500179

BTW... I wanted to swap out my collector .270 Herters rifle for a more modern .270... stopped in the LGS... ( this guy keeps a quite large inventory )... not one .270 in the store :confused: but he had a nice used Rem 700 in 35 Whelen... I think I may have to try to work out a deal on ???

Last edited:
I think your more pressing dilemma is your duplicates. It simply does not look professional to have multiples of some chamberings with only a single example of others. You either need to make multiple walk-in vaults with individual collections or store your duplicates in another location outside the view of your great collection. Multiple vaults sounds like a real pain. I have a suitable location in mind. Contact me by PM for details of how I can be of help :)

My point being, I own a few guns and I shoot each of them as often as possible. I can not shoot them for an extended period of time and still when I do, shoot each of them accurately and naturally. If you collect guns have fun doing it, if you own for a purpose, shoot them and enjoy them. We will all need them at some point in the future!

My vote is for the .280 Rem, it's a great cartridge and very accurate. Last I knew Remington was still chambering the Mountain Rifle in .280 and Ruger still chambers the M77 Hawkeye Sporter in it. Unfortunately I can't check Remington's web site (seems it's down right now) to see if they still chamber for it.

Stu

Back