discoveries... while hanging the rifles on the wall in my walk in gun safe

have had a good portion of my rifles in a storage crate for a long time ( until I finally got my "walk in gun safe room" built... now I'm seeing a couple holes...

I have a bolt action rifle collection that covers most bases, from 17 Mach 2, up to a custom bolt action 53 caliber rifle... ( 15 rifles on this rack space )... currently have 2-30-06's to fill out the rack, but the birdseye maple 70's custom is going onto a different rack... the biggest hole in the calibers I see, is between my sporterized 7 X 57 Mauser, & my 30-06... my 1st 2 thoughts are 7 Mag, & .308 ( I have other .308 rifles, just not in a "conventional" bolt action )... I know there are a couple other cool cartridges that fall in between

sugestions for a rifle to fill that gap ???

Yes, you definitely need a 7mm rem. mag. You may want to look at a .280 rem. It is definitely not cool to have such large gaps in your gun collection!

I know... I'm really sweating it right now... ;)

... 280 is one I was thinking of... not that familiar with it, don't know if they still chamber guns in the caliber, or if used is the only answer...

I do prefer stainless & laminate or composite for my heaviely "used" guns... but love the look of alot of my older blued & walnut Remington 700's

280 Remington is a 30-06 necked down to 7mm. Ammo is still available from most sources. As for a new rifle purchase in that chambering, you will have to check MFG's lists. You could also check your local pawn shops and small gun shops for a used one.

Looks like Ruger ( in more everyday price ranges ) & Blazer in prices I can't afford, still make, or made guns in the last couple years, where there are still new ones listed on the auction sites... I've been doing some reading, & seems like a nice cartridge...
my jump from '06 goes to 338 Win Mag, then 375 H&H, then .416 Rigby... so I'm open to either belted or non belted cartridges

my jump from .416 Rigby ( bear in mind, we are talking only bolt actions ) goes to a custom 53 caliber... a 45-70 might be good ( though I have 5-6 guns chambered in 45-70... maybe .458 Win Mag ???

I don't really have a problem with a gap from 7 X 57 to 30-06 so I have a couple options

7x57- 30-06* I agree, a 280 would fit just fine. Maybe a fine old 300 Savage?
416- 53 cal* hows about a nice 404 Jeffries? A 444 Marlin? 458 American? 500-450 #2? 500 Jeffries? 50 BMG?

not a whole lot of 444 Marlin bolt guns ( though my buddy built one, I bet I could talk him out of ??? ) I'd love to have a BMG... but honestly where I live, there probably are people who own them in the county, but IMO, there is no safe place to shoot one around here... certainly not on my 300 yard range :o

got room for one more bolt action... ( I don't need to fill that spot right away ) just giving some thought to that one more, for down the road...

I probably have a milsurp 8mm that may already be sporterized to the point that it belongs in this section ??? but I think it's a BRNO, so it will go on another wall with the Czech guns

right now calibers represented are...

17 Mach 2
17 Fireball
22 Hornet ( fast twist )
22-250
25-06
7 X 57
30-06
338 Win Mag
375 H&H
.416 Rigby
53 caliber ( 53 is based on 28 ga. brass shells... certainly not as powerful as the other big bores, but still fun to shoot :) )

hmmm... maybe a 458 Win Mag would be the best fit ???

Last edited:
Oops... yep forgot the .270...

so how about pros & cons between 7 mm Magnum, & 280 Remington, & the AI ??? ( can just slip a .280 in an improved chamber )

( yes, I understand you don't need a belt to get good performance... love everything about the 416 Rigby, but ammo / component prices ) so I'm ok that the 280 is beltless

Last edited:
Magnum wheel Man, I'm afraid we're starting a war here, but my take is if I'm going to get kicked 7 Mag style, I move up to the 300's and get kicked a little more.

Be WEIRD and DIS the .280 Rem. and go for a .284 Win. instead. Then, if you don't like it, you can neck it down to 6.5-.284 for your other rifle!

Short and Fat is where it's at!

340 Weatherby said
" Magnum wheel Man, I'm afraid we're starting a war here, but my take is if I'm going to get kicked 7 Mag style, I move up to the 300's and get kicked a little more."

A big +1 to that.
Also +1 to the .270, 7mm-08 comments--you have one of those and you're set for 95%...And I agree you're definitely missing .35 Whelen, one of the often overlooked non-mags over .30-06. Future classic if not already there. You could have one of the .22_'s, a 7mm-08 and .300 Win Mag and be done with it for anything in the lower 48. (Or, I would agree, you could just have your already listed time-honored .30-06, but since we're indulging ourselves here with multiple choices :) )

Last edited:
Back