Dies for Bumping Shoulder

Metal God said:
With all do respect ( and I mean that ) just because you and Guffey say it's so , doesn't make it so .

Well, that cuts both ways, of course. I see "case headspace" and "cartridge headspace" as possible to misconstrue and you don't, except maybe by newbies. I offered examples authored neither by myself nor Mr. Guffey to say chamber headspace is what is meant in at least some instances. You offered anecdotal evidence from forum participation that indicates such misconstruing is unlikely. I think that sums it up. At this point, I suggest we just let it be a matter of personal preference what to use or avoid. There's no rule on the board that it has to be one way or the other.

I'll be interested to see if SAAMI ever does anything with it and if they do, whether they come up with a different term or decide to make Hornady's usage standard. I'm an ASTM member and our standards are created the same way. Any member can propose a standard to the appropriate committee at the annual hotel conference room gatherings and the committee can decide to ballot it.

Re the gunsmiths, cutting a chamber to size is usually called "setting" or "establishing" headspace. "Headspacing on" usually introduces what cartridge surface stops against the chamber. In the chamber, that stopping surface is called the cartridge seat, so you could say "cartridge seating on" instead of "headspacing on". The only time I've heard of a chamber being "headspaced" was either in the past tense (as in "was the chamber headspaced correctly?"), or in describing setting up headspace in the variable Savage actions.

There's always been at least some variety in the descriptions because what you measure for headspace in rimless bottleneck cases has changed post-SAAMI being organized. If you look up the headspace of a .30-06 chamber in Hatcher, it is measured from the breech face to the shoulder/body intercept. Indeed, the 30-06 and other old rimless cartridges use that and have a slightly wider shoulder angle on the case than is used in the chamber, forcing the corresponding outside corner of the cartridge case shoulder to seat on the chamber rather than the slope of the shoulder. It's not easy to measure a chamber's body/shoulder intercept accurately.

SAAMI came up with the shoulder datum idea in the '30s or '40s, I think, precisely to make the measuring easier. I don't believe the military adopted it, as the blueprints I've seen don't have a datum dimension on the chamber shoulder, but the military certainly did come up with headspace GO, NO-GO and FIELD REJECT gauges. The European CIP doesn't use a datum. The datum is really only reaching its potential value when the chamber and case shoulders have the same angle, as modern designs use. The old cartridges thus have two different measurements of chamber headspace possible, owing to the gap at the shoulder surfaces left by the difference in shoulder angles. One for the cartridge and a slightly longer one for the chamber when the case clearances are zero.

Here's an interesting aside: from Forster's description, it appears their Bushing Bump die would eliminate the .30-06 (and .270 Win, for example) shoulder angle disagreement with the chamber if they make the top end of their die match a minimum chamber rather than a case shoulder angle. Upon bumping into the shoulder, it would set the old cartridge's case shoulders to match the chamber better.

I'm a bit surprised those of us believing case heads are held against the bolt face by extractors when fired haven't chimed in to this rather well behaved discussion. Head clearance is zero in their understanding of case behavior when fired.

What about......

If a reloader's cartridge brass is properly "case headspace" / "cartridge headspace" (choose one or alloe both) the distance from the case head to the bolt will be the optimum distance desired by the reloader, and is controlled by their brass preperation sizing process.

Any space between the case head and bolt in excess of the desired dimension is EXCESSIVE HEADSPACE and may cause brass cartridge failure.

Really, this has always been what I understood, and is a restatement of the obvious. Now, you wordsmiths, will probably redefine obvious.

The armorer might "Headspace" a Browning 1919 A-6 30 cal Machine gun,or M-2 50 cal machine gun.

I don't know about the 1919 from personal experience but I am absolutely positive about the M2, the crew sets the headspace, every time they change the barrel. (and the timing, is supposed to be checked too) The M2 headspace and timing gauges look nothing like the headspace gauges for other bottle necked cases, the are essentially flat bars of metal (think thick feeler gauge) and are unique to the M2's design.

Length/ Cartridge Case/Headspace Its a length,specific to the cartridge case,identified as the length from case head to ref datum ring on the shoulder

Interesting suggestion, but why bother including the word headspace, why not just call it head-datum ring distance and not confuse it with including headspace?

Any space between the case head and bolt in excess of the desired dimension is EXCESSIVE HEADSPACE and may cause brass cartridge failure.

Not exactly. Excessive headspace based on what the individual reloader wants? yes. Excessive by industry standards? perhaps, perhaps not. "Any space"??? unless your case is a crush fit there is always some space. Is it always enough to be dangerous? no. Could it be,? yes, but that's something individual to the firearm and the case being fired. Not a valid blanket statement.

What about......

If a reloader's cartridge brass is properly "case headspace" / "cartridge headspace" (choose one or alloe both) the distance from the case head to the bolt will be the optimum distance desired by the reloader, and is controlled by their brass preperation sizing process.

Really, this has always been what I understood, and is a restatement of the obvious. Now, you wordsmiths, will probably redefine obvious.
I think the term "headspace" should have the same reference points across all three items for systems whose cartridges normally seat against the chamber shoulder when fired. Their dimensions have a few thousandths spread which makes comparison easy.

Those 3 items are case, chamber and gauge.

Same for other cartridges who normally headspace on rim or belt that are resized to seat on chamber shoulder when fired to minimize case body stretching and maximize case life.

Any empty space between case and chamber when fired is clearance. New rimmed and belted bottleneck cases typically have clearance to chamber shoulder and bolt face when fired.

Last edited:
Well, excess headspace is another one SAAMI's glossary does not have. I think 44 AMP is right that the purpose defines it. Military armorers will likely define it as headspace that allows a chamber to close on a Field Reject gauge, requiring them to change the barrel. But they aren't concerned with reloading. Only handloaders think headspace is excessive if there is enough to have an adverse effect on brass reloading life. Only precision shooters will define it as extra space that adversely impacts group size.

The distinction I see between head clearance and excess headspace is just that the latter can account for chamber space either in front of or behind the cartridge position in the chamber, as Bart suggests. Head clearance is limited by SAAMI's definition to being space behind the case head when the cartridge case is seated fully forward. The reason the difference matters has mostly to do with belted cases. They can have head clearance and shoulder clearance simultaneously when the belt is forward against its seat (and normally do when using commercially loaded ammunition in SAAMI spec chambers). Excess headspace would then be the sum of the two extra spaces (and that may be for brass life and accuracy purposes, both).

I asked SAAMI about "shoulder clearance" for belted and rimmed bottleneck cases. He said that makes sense and fits into the scheme of their glossary. But doubted it would ever happen.

Military rifle teams shooting 30 caliber belted magnums usually got better accuracy with new cases having both head and shoulder clearance compared to traditional full-length sized cases headspacing on their shoulders.

Last edited:
Hold on a second, did we exhaust this topic with out the thread being closed . It’s been 24+ hours with out a post :confused: . Hmmm how could we go so long without a fight and closer ? I wonder what was so different about this thread then all the other closed ones ? ;)

Well, as HiBC said earlier, no other topic has generated as much discussion as headspace. Maybe we're all talked out...by the way, I like "Guffyspace".

The reason this thread lasted is because it was a good discussion that I for one, have truly learned something from it. At least this is my $.02.

Back