Did you get it right - the very first time?

I got it half right, first purchase was a walther PPS that I still carry. I did try a few holsters before I found the supertuck that I now use 90%+ of the time.

Yes and No

My carrying started out as car carry- I had inherited a few pistols from my father, and I would toss one in my glove box (legal without the Indiana LTCH as far as I could tell at the time). My options were a Beretta Minx and a S&W Regulation Police- a 22 short and a 32 Long. I then decided to move to a bigger weapon, and got a Ruger Security Six. After a while, I decided to find something I could carry. I checked out the M&P, Glock, SR9, XD, and Beretta lines, and nothing felt right. Then, I stumbled onto this used gun shop and he handed me a CZ-75BD. I payed him in installments, and that gun was mine. I have bought and sold plenty of other guns with the intent to carry, but that one is here to stay.

As for holsters, as has been said before, that's kinda the hardest part. I started with a Galco Scout IWB holster that was absolutely painful. I then picked up a Barsony pancake holster for OWB carry, and it has served me well. I had played around with a Crossbreed for a while, and decided to go that route with my CZ-75, so I picked up an Old Faithful Stage 3 kit and assembled it myself. It is still my CC holster for my CZ, and probably will until I finally kill the thing.

I have multiple guns that I include in my carry rotation, and they have included, in no particular order- Sig Sauer P250, S&W 642 NRA Special Edition, Beretta PX4, and a Beretta Tomcat- all of which ended up getting sold, along with that first Security Six. I learned the error of my ways, and replaced the Security Six and the 642 (plane jane version). I have also most recently added a Bulgarian Makarov and a CZ 82 to my carry lineup, and am still finding the right holster for them.

No, I didn't get it right the first time! And dad-rat it, still working on it!

This has been my daily carry rig since last Saturday:

Its a Graveyard Jack Tom Threepersons holster made to my specs. This came last Saturday evening, and I wore it to church Sunday for both services.

Still tryin' to get it Wright.

Bob Wright

Yes and no. I've been carrying for, oh, 3.5 years or so. As is my way, I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions before shelling out any money. I got my first choices right, in the sense that I still use them, but I also found that I needed more stuff for different occasions.

First belt -- an Aker B21. When I first started carrying, of course, I didn't own a proper gun belt. Then I bought an Aker B21 and realized that a proper belt makes a huge difference. It was my first belt, and I still use it several times a week. It's brown, though, and I also found that I needed a black gun belt, so I bought a DeSantis Econobelt (on clearance, no less) for those occasions when I need black for my belt.

First holster -- I got a Theis IWB for my first holster. Outstanding holster, and Tommy's a great guy to work with. However, I'm middle aged and slightly overweight, so I switched to OWB leather. It's much more comfortable for me. I've got a DeSantis Speed Scabbard with which I'm exceptionally happy and a Galco somethingorother that I like very much. And now I'm thinking about adding some kydex to the mix, for times when neither one of those is quite right.

Not really.

Glock 22 was my first CCW. Then a Glock 27. Then a SIG P226 for years. Then a Glock 21. Then a Glock 30. Then a 1911 (I call these the dark ages). Went back to the SIG P226. Then went to a SIG P220 for a few. Then went to a Glock 19 for years. And now back to the P226/P220 (sent the barrel of the P226 to get refinished so it's the P220 for now.)

The two I've carried the most and for the longest are the P226 and Glock 19.

The others ones that aren't underlined we only "carried" briefly.

Well it is kinda like cars. I like what I drive right now, but that doesn't mean that I did not enjoy the cars that I had.
I have a mix of revolvers and semi auto's, about 12 in total. My favorites are Ruger SR9C, Ruger SP101, Diamondback DB9, Taurus Tracker 4" in 44 Mag.

Carrying since 1999.

I started with a Glock 23 and a Hume pancake holster.

Next up was a Sig 239 9mm in a Kramer MSP holster. That was a great setup, and I regret letting that go even today.

But I'm very comfortable with my Ruger SP101 .327 Magnum, carried in a Simply Rugged Solver Dollar pancake holster. I really like this rig.

I cut my teeth on a Security Six over thirty years ago, and it feels good to be home again.

My first true carry pistol was a M&P9c....I tried several different holsters to accomplish concealing it and carrying it to where it didn't make my hip feel fatigued after more than an hour. I gave up and bought an LCP....I either pocket carry it or clip it on with a little fobus holster.

On the weekends for short trips I found a belt slide holster was best suited for OWB carry....the only way I'll carry anything larger than my LCP.

I also tried a 642, p229 and PT145 good options just too bulky still.

I currently carry a Shield in a pancake holster...this may just be a winner for all but the summer months.

I do believe the pancake holster is the best for OWB carry.

As companies come out with better alternatives I'll keep evolving when necessary.

I think I got the right gun (SP101 2.25" .357), It is a great firearm that I am pretty good with and it conceals just right for my body. But, I'm not so sure about the holster. I really like the holster I have, but it sits just a tad to low (conceals great though). I need one that brings the gun up about 1/2" more from the belt line, then it will be perfect. So.. I guess I got it 1/2 right? lol

Sure did. My first firearm was a sig 229. I have crimson trace laser grips with tfo sights. Also got it with a 9mm bar-sto barrel and use speer gold dots for carry. Still carry with the first holster I got for the gun. What I got wrong was mag carriers. I've been though three sets. It is still my favorite carry gun. Now I do have a glock 23 and kahr pm9 that I like to carry weather dependent. Out of those three guns I use for carry, I prefer the sig every time.

Nope. When I knew I was going to carry, when Michigan first went shall issue, I figured I needed a double action semi in .45 ACP for the perfect carry weapon. Narrowed it down to a HKUSPC or a SIG P220C. Found a Gander Mountain that had both in stock and were willing to set both on the counter for me. Quickly picking one up and pointing it at one of the overhead beams yielded instantly clear sights on the HK, while I always had to fiddle with the SIG to get a good picture. The HK was my new carry. Carried it less than a year, when I realized I didn't really like it. Nothing wrong with it-it just didn't wow me, I guess. I then realized I needed to carry the gun that I shot best and felt the most comfortable in my hand. That was a 1911, so I decided on a 3" model. I'm normally a Colt guy, but Kimber was offering a much nicer carry package in the UCDP, while at that time, Colt offered only the Officer's. Bought the Kimber, and it has been on my hip for over 10 years. Had also tried a variety of holsters, experimenting, and found OWB the best for me. Bought a Don Hume JIT slide for the Kimber and have been with it ever since. I have only about 10 or 12 holsters that are collecting dust, so at least I didn't waste a lot of money there. But I consider the HK a $759 mistake. It wouldn't be my last. I also bought a Taurus Millennium when I decided I needed a 9mm for biking. Actually sold that one, I was so disgusted with it, and replaced it with a Glock 26. Both the Glock and the Kimber completely outclassed their predecessors. Only other mistake I made was when I first started buying handguns. My first 1911 was an AMT!:eek:

How things change in a decade!

Internet forums, choices of carry guns and holsters, etc. all have increased exponentially in just a decade.

It's great you are researching.

After what seems like a lot of trial and error, notably one gun purchase mistake, and a box full of useless holsters, I settled on a few options that I really like for the climate/season/dress.

Lesson here: Buy quality holsters, guns, etc. and listen to advice. Skip the junk guns.

There is no such thing as the perfect set up. I have been carrying for almost 35 years (mostly professionally). I have a Tupperware container full of holsters of all kinds that I have accumulated and still use (usually between Sig and Glick).

You will find that it is a constant challenge to find something that works with your wardrobe and the weather. From suits to jeans to gym trunks one type does not fit all. I would recommend that you select the FA and work from there. The more FA variations you inject the more money you will spend on holsters. Many holsters considerations will depend on if you are in a position like LE where immediate access is paramount. Most civilians are not going out into a gun fight and generally just want a FA somewhere on their person.

You will find that regular carry is not all that easy or comfortable. Either. There are a lot of aches and pains that go into finding a good carry position or adjusting to the extra weight on a given part of the body. Cost aside, finding something that is comfortable for you with a particular FA is a factor that will change. In general I found that for plain clothes, a good solid belt and holster are the most comfortable but not necessarily the most concealable. I generally do not like inside the pants (because it makes my pants too tight) but sometimes its the only effective option so you end up buying bigger pants.

the first gun i started to carry openly was my SD40.

i did alot of research into holsters my first one i got and still use most of the time is my blackahwk serpa and dual mag holster as well.

i later got a galco miami classic shoulder rig. i use it for more formal things when i have to wear a suit. just feels a bit more comfortable and doesnt weigh down my dress pants

for ammo. i have switched a few times.

i started with Horaday Critical Duty. put some downrange one day and didnt like them.

went to federal HST, i still use them sometimes. they are my "backup rounds"

i carry winchester ranger t series now. the box was clearly marked law enforcement ammuniton and its a wicked round

Back