Did you get it right - the very first time?

Well, it ("choosing the right handgun for concealed carry") hasn't been as easy for me as it seems to have been for some people. You would think that my thirty years in le would have given me some extra insight as to what the "right" handgun is for concealed carry as a "civilian" should be but it hasn't been so straightforward for me. My "holster drawer" has only grown over time. Suffice to say that I have become more convinced as time and experience goes on that a revolver is the best choice for most people when it comes to a reliable and speedy response to an armed confrontation. But I'm still learning and the holster drawer continues to grow...:(

Last edited:
Part of the journey is trying out new things to see if you do really like what you think you like.

I am still using my first handgun bought specifically for EDC, although in a different holster. I went through about 4 holsters before settling on an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck). I wanted to try out several designs to truly see what was most comfortable.

I do rotate a second gun into the rotation, depending on my wardrobe for the day (if I need to be in a suit for work, normally about once every other week). In that case, I am still relying on the first pocket pistol I bought for this application in the first ankle holster I bought for it.

Wow Sevens, it would seem we have walked similar paths.

I'm no stranger to handguns. Been shooting them for years - long before considering CCW.

I started the process early last year and got my CCW this past December. At the time I committed, I had NO guns suitable for CCW. It's a long process in this state - I had plenty of time to make some purchases. And I did.

Since I'm in California, I can have up to three guns on my permit. The first gun I bought - the one I figured I'd carry 90% of the time - was a Kahr CW9. Like Sevens, I view it as a "100% tool" with no emotional attachment. Great little gun too.

My second CCW gun purchase was a Glock 29SF - I like 10mm's a lot. A lot.

And since I'm a wheelgun guy at heart, I also picked up a S&W 686+ 3"bbl - just for good measure.

The short answer to the OP's question is: Yes. I got it right the first time. Or so it seems. In the short 6-1/2 weeks I've been carrying, as anticipated, I carry the Kahr about 90% of the time. I also carry the two others when I can wear clothing heavy enough for concealment - which is not often with this unbelievably warm/dry winter we've been having here.

Things change, times change. But so far, it's been working pretty much exactly as I planned. So far, so good.

Took me some time after leaving the military to move from an auto to a revolver. In fact its just recently that I have gone to only revolvers as carry weapons.

Bob Wright has so many nice revolvers and holsters many of which I have used as well. I prefer the thumb snap though partially as its what I'm used to and partially because I want my sidearm to stay secure if I take a tumble. I also prefer OWB again as its what I'm used to and feels right to me.

I know people who have been using the same carry weapon for 20+ years and others who switch several times a year. As new equipment comes out I don't see any problem with trying it. Constant practice of clear and draw with the holster you're using is key. I feel that practice is as important as dry fire and range time.

I've been working on the perfect gun holster combo for about 32 years. I think I'm getting close. Firearm and holster technology, wardrobe due to climate and work/leisure/sport scenarios and my waist size are all constantly changing.

I got it right enough.

I started my adventure here, on this forum. Getting a gun and concealed carry permit was primarily why I joined. Yes, I was one of those "Which first gun?" threads that pop up daily.

The only change I'd make is that if I bought a Glock again (my first was a G33) it would have been a G29 instead. However, having since been able to try a few more, I would have rather had an M&P in .357sig. (I believe they're no longer made in .357 but I haven't really looked.) Overall though, my G33 is a fine carry gun and I certainly didn't go wrong with it.

My first holster and the only one I used from January 2009 until last week was a Crossbreed Supertuck. I absolutely went very, very right on that choice. Last week, I bought a Blackhawk Serpa at Cabela's, just to try OWB. I must say, as comfortable as my Supertuck is, OWB is *MUCH* better. It just didn't (and doesn't) work for a lot of my carrying circumstance/occasions.

So, yes, here I am 5 years (almost to the day) later and I still carry the very same gun in the very same holster.

Last edited:
Kind of...

The S&W 642 that I picked up strictly for carry purposes is still in the rotation and it gets a decent amount of use. I've added a few more to allow my weapon to better match what I'm wearing for concealment purposes, though.

I guess I'm lucky ... I got my CHL almost 10 years ago, and my EDC all that time has been a Kahr PM9, in the same kydex paddle holster or Nemesis pocket holster I bought to go with it ... I occasionally carry other guns -- an NAA Pug around the house, a Springer XDs in .45ACP or a Kimber UCII, but they're mostly cold weather guns when I can wear something to cover them. The PM9 has been completely reliable since I unpacked it all those years ago, is still as accurate as ever and is light and easy to shoot.

I got the holsters right too, it would seem.

All three of mine are Theis holsters (pronounced: "tice"). He's a one person operation out of Arkansas and is just a great guy with which to do business. When you place an order, he gets to it right away and has the product out for you in a timely manner. Aside from holsters, he also makes excellent belts. Reasonable pricing too. Here's his site: http://theisholsters.com/

I chose horse hide for all three of mine. The two for my semi-autos (Kahr CW9; G29SF) are IWB; and I got an OWB for my 686. All three - and the belt - are of excellent quality. I am thinking about getting an OWB for my Glock. I've learned that OWB's are more comfortable (right, duh) and if you have to wear layers of clothing for the weather, might as well go OWB. So that's a minor change from "getting it right the first time," I guess.

Theis is the first and last place I look for my holsters and belts.

The first time. Ruger lc9, no. I didn't get it right, I felt like I needed a little more gun and got a glock 17. I can carry it in a fanny pack where I live. However, I still love the lc9. It's a great little pocket pistol.

30 years of concealed carry has followed firearm technology developments....started many years ago with the 9mm Browning High Power and S&W model 60 (.357 mag). Today it's the Boberg XR9S 9mm....a gun that was just an idea waiting to be born.

I am constantly buying and selling carry guns.

• First carry gun was a 3" S&W 60 in .357.
  • Sold the S&W 60 for a S&W 640 in .38
  • Bought a Walther PPK which wasn't reliable.
  • Sold the PPK and bought a Ruger SR9C.
  • Sold the S&W 640 for a Sig 232
  • Sold the Sig 232 for a Bodyguard .380
  • Sold the SR9C for a Shield.

And that's where I sit now.

- Bodyguard for pocket carry when I cant afford to print and need to tuck in my shirt, mostly for work and weddings and such.

- Shield for daily carry and attire.

- Soon to get M&P9C for when colder weather when I am wearing a cover garment.

The worst part about all this is I would probably own a couple more guns with all the money I lost buying and selling. But in the process it taught me what I want in a carry gun, and what I don't want, so it's better I got that out of the way early on I guess.

Last edited:
jason_iowa said:
....................... I prefer the thumb snap though partially as its what I'm used to and partially because I want my sidearm to stay secure if I take a tumble. I also prefer OWB again as its what I'm used to and feels right to me.

While I can carry openly, I choose not to, but rather cover my gun with a vest or jacket. Thus I don't worry about someone trying to jerk my gun out of my holster. And at my age, 76 yrs old, I won't be taking any tumble. This my reason for no retaining strap, plus I carry a Single Action. Single Action handling and thumbstraps don't co-exist well.

Bob Wright

This has turned into quite an informative thread, especially for a new shooter like myself. It's comforting to known that some of you were able to make an informed decision early on, which is my goal. I really appreciate all the input. Any more?

Mike

When I decided to start carrying in 2007 I bought a Kimber UCII and a Galco IWB holster. I've added some others into the rotation but the Kimber and Galco combo are still my primary setup.

I ccw gun and holster is eather a walther pps in a crossbreed INW holster or if the clothing warrants a keltec 32 in a De saints pocket holster. That was not my first ccw rig by a long shot. My first was a Colt agent 38 special in a iwb holster. Still have the gun but it has been retired from carry do to value. Between the colt and the walther there has been a bunch of pistols and revolvers. Before I found what works best for me. Living in Texas. Most of the year weather dictates light clothing. So carrying a larger weapon concealed can be difficult.

Oh, my. Not even close.

Some of these are overlapping, and I'm sure I have some of these out of order...

When I got my TX CHL, I owned a G23. Tried several holsters (IWB and Smart Carry, Pager Pal, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting).
Never could get comfortable with the brick. Eventually traded it for a G19, and then sold that.

Next came an S&W M37 (pocket carry), followed by several other j-frames (M49, M360, two M340s). Later on, I experimented with some other S&Ws...M696, M396, M325, M66, and a 3" M25. I still have several S&W revolvers, and sometimes pocket carry a 642.

At a certain point I bought a Kahr PM9. This prompted the sale of all of the j-frames. (I still have the PM9 today, and pocket carry it.)

Then I found a Kel-Tec P11. I thought...virtually the same size as the Kahr, but 11 rounds instead of 7. In theory, great idea. In practice, terrible idea. Horrible trigger, much heavier than the Kahr, and lousy reliability. After several attempts to fix it, it went (with full disclosure, at a loss). For some stupid reason, I went through three more Kel-Tecs--one each first and second gen P3ATs and a P32. I experienced similar reliability (or lack thereof) with each, albeit in varying degrees...and the same outcome as the P-11. Sold with full disclosure and at a loss.

I owned a number of 1911s, mostly 3" alloy, but three steel ones as well. Then several Commander-sized 1911s, in both steel and alloy. And one or two 5"ers as well. I do still own several 1911s, but since my last back surgery (the third) it is likely that my 1911 and N-frame carrying days are done.

I also have a Kahr P45 that I carried IWB for quite a while, and actually had a PM45 for a while.

More recently, I have bought and sold two LCPs. Super easy to carry, and both worked perfectly, but I have some lingering doubts about the cartridge.

Not sure I am done, yet...I've been eyeballing the Kimber Solo, and on occasion, the Boberg and the Rohrbaugh. :)

Yes, I did pretty well the first time .../ but I didn't start carrying until I was in my 50's - about 15 yrs ago now ....( never wanted to before then ) ....so I had the advantage of having a lot of guns ( mostly 1911's and S&W revolvers --- and 30 yrs of gun ownership experience ) ...and it was easy for me to pick a full sized 1911 for my carry gun in .45 acp ...because it was a gun I really liked ( I had specd the gun to exactly what I wanted - trigger, mag well, ambi safety, etc ) and I had owned it for a couple of yrs and I shot it very well.

On the holster, I think I got lucky - and got really good advice / from a few instructors and some friends ...on Kramer horsehide Leather.../ and I took the time to research his holster models and styles and again talk to buddies.../ so I ended up with a forward FBI tilt style as well...both IWB and Scabbard.
--------
Now in full disclosure ....I've since added more guns ...and more holsters ( and I tried a Kramer paddle holster I did not like ) ...but I still use the standard belt holster IWB or the Scabbard belt holster ( both Kramer ) ....and I've since added Kramer holsters for my K, L and N frame S&W revolvers....and some for my Sig 239's and 226's ...as well as my full sized 1911's...

so I have a dozen or more holsters...but its mostly because I wanted them either for classes / or for carry, if I choose to carry a S&W 2 1/2" or 4" revolver ...or a Sig 239 or 226 ..../ I've taken 3 day tactical classes where all I shot were either a K or N frame 4" revolver in .357 mag .../ and classes where I only shot a 5" 1911 in 9mm ...or where I only fired a 5" 1911 in .45 acp...and I've enjoyed the experience /and the challenge of the class - especially with the revolvers.

I've been buying and carrying handguns for so long that too much has changed. The level of selection, and in "some" cases quality, in holsters and firearms today is much greater than it was 25 or 30 years ago. That being said, I've always loved 1911's and still own the first one I ever bought. I rarely carry it though.

Today my carry rig changes depending on several factors. Such as weather, what I'm wearing and where I'm going. I've only sold 2 handguns that I've purchased in my entire life, so I guess in that aspect I've been picking what I like pretty regularly.

Well after forty years of searching and spending close to $250,000.00 I went from a J-frame to a J-frame. Sure was a fun ride tho. YMMV. tom. :o

Back