Did you get it right - the very first time?

groverdill

As I read, study, and research in anticipation of purchasing my first handgun for concealed carry, I see a lot of people saying that they've gone through several different set-ups (guns, holsters, ammo, etc.) until they arrived at what they currently own and are comfortable with shooting and carrying. Obviously we all put in the time to avoid buying more than we have to in hopes of finding the perfect set-up right from the start. My question is, has anyone here accomplished this feat? In other words, do you still carry/shoot the very first gun/holster combo that you bought? If not, I'd like to hear how many different rigs you went through to arrive at what you use today, and how long it took to get there. Looking forward to some interesting replies.

Mike

I am an oddball... the very first handgun I ever owned was my little Glock 26. A friend of mine and I discussed what I might want, and the first item on my list was "reliable." Since that was the only thing either one of us knew about guns -- that a Glock was reliable -- that's what I got.

The first holster I owned, I picked up from Blade Tech, back in the day when they were a very small shop. It was a single attachment, IWB holster that was straight drop. When we drove up there to buy it, I brought my gun with me in a case. Then I loaded the gun, put it into the holster, and put the holster on my belt. And I carried it home like that.

That was in 1999. Since then I have had opportunity to handle and own more firearms than I can remember. I worked for 4 years as the editor at Concealed Carry Magazine, so I had more opportunities than most. I also started collecting holsters. Right now, neatly stored upstairs in my home, I have 8 or 9 large plastic storage bins full of holsters. I have IWB, OWB and convertible belt holsters. I have belly bands and ankle holsters, concealed carry purses and shoulder holsters, trick clothing with holsters built into pockets or hidden pouches. pretty much, if you have heard of a holster type, I have an example of it upstairs in those bins.

This is the literal truth: I have hundreds of holsters, and my safe is not lacking for handguns.

And here's the weird part. My preference, when I am not testing a new holster or reviewing a new gun, I still carry my Glock 26 in an IWB, straight drop Kydex holster.

pax

Did you get it right - the very first time?

Over time an individual's ideas change. Tastes change. The "legal stuff" changes. Finances change. Hopefully as you advance in life you can afford better quality. One's body changes -- physical disabilities can crop up or worsen.

Pax was fortunate.

I have meandered all over the place, and am currently most interested in snubbies.

I also started collecting holsters. Right now, neatly stored upstairs in my home, I have 8 or 9 large plastic storage bins full of holsters. I have IWB, OWB and convertible belt holsters. I have belly bands and ankle holsters, concealed carry purses and shoulder holsters, trick clothing with holsters built into pockets or hidden pouches. pretty much, if you have heard of a holster type, I have an example of it upstairs in those bins.

--pax

Years back you put out a call for holster donations -- IIRC you wanted "bad examples" for a women's handgun class. How did that turn out?

Last edited:
Lee,

That class worked out very, very well. In fact, I still have – and still use! – a lot of those holsters in my classes. It is so helpful to hold up a pancaked, pancake holster to explain that leather wears out over time. Or to let students see a side by side comparison between a low-quality holster to a similar design made of better materials or with better workmanship.

Honestly, I could never have gotten started down the holster-class pathway without all of the generous people who sent me their worn-out, or just not useful holsters back then. It was awesome!

pax

Not the first time, but the second semi-auto I bought was a
Colt Gold Cup. Been carrying a 1911 in some form ever since then.

I went through several before settling on my current carry. Part of this was just to get an education. But my first was this S&W M442 .38 Special in a Galco rig:

Then a Model 586 in a Bianchi holster:

Then another Galco rig:

Then a Don Hume holster to get away from that thumb break:

For the past three years this has been near perfect, a Ruger .44 Special Three Screw in a Bob Mernickle rig:

The little pouches hold an additional six rounds. This has become, to me, the perfect carry combination.

Bob Wright

Lee,

That class worked out very, very well. In fact, I still have – and still use! – a lot of those holsters in my classes. It is so helpful to hold up a pancaked, pancake holster to explain that leather wears out over time. Or to let students see a side by side comparison between a low-quality holster to a similar design made of better materials or with better workmanship.

Honestly, I could never have gotten started down the holster-class pathway without all of the generous people who sent me their worn-out, or just not useful holsters back then. It was awesome!

I sent some junkers along for the cause. Good to hear it went well.

Last edited:
My first two handguns were my PX4 and my LCP, and they still serve as my HD and carry, respectively, about 95% of the time, so I'd say yes.

I didn't listen to advice when I got started. I didn't get a real gun belt, I cheaped out on my holster, and my shopping priority for a carry gun was 'small'. I wound up with a Ruger LC9 in a Blackhawk Inside the Pants nylon holster, at 5:30, and my cheap belt developed a sag. I didn't get formal training for over two years.

I wasted a lot of time and money.

When I first began to carry concealed I owned a full sized 1911, a SIG-Sauer P226, and a 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless as my realistic choices to carry. I concluded that I would not carry a .32 ACP or 9mm when I had a .45ACP, so I spoke with my local gunsmith who sold me a Ross Leather Model 18. The 1911 in the IWB worked fine for several years until I switched to a compact 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster, which I find a superior combination, but I would not hesitate to return to my initial rig if I need to. I guess you can take that for a "yes."

I don't suspect that my experience relates all too well to the question, due to my background in handguns... but I'll share it and my philosophy also.

I had been owning and shooting handguns as a hardcore hobbyist for many years before I ever even considered the idea that I would ever carry concealed. One of the main things I needed in a carry gun was something I would never worry about getting worn, scratched, banged up, sweated upon, etc. I'm emotionally attached to my favorite handguns, so something that would be 100% "tool" was what I needed.

So when I made my choice in a carry gun, it came about as a result of silly emotional ideas of what caliber I'd carry... more so than what actual handgun I'd carry. I grew up in a world where we all simply -KNEW- the 9mm was wildly inferior and the .45 was a "far better" answer, but the .357 was the finest idea of all. I grew up reading Guns & Ammo and specifically, Jeff Cooper. (these ideas have since EVOLVED!)

So when I got the wild idea to get a carry license, I was going to carry the round that I felt personally attached to: 10mm Auto. And I picked the only gun that seemed like a good idea for carry in 10mm, the Glock 29.

That was 6 years ago and I'm still carrying exactly that, and I'm still carrying it in the first decent (but extremely low cost) holster I found, a KHolster IWB... leather backed kydex. No-frills, for sure. It's been outrageously durable, though I believe if I tried a little harder in a holster, I might find some more comfort in carry. But I do fine with it.

And for spare mag? The ugly, "couldn't be cheaper" OEM Glock cheapie plastic rig.

Oh, and "philosophy" ? I'm a recreational shooter. I'm not a recreational gun-carrier. To me, that means I have one carry gun, and I carry it all the time. Chasing down the next carry gun, or giving everything I own some "carry time in the rotation" interests me zero.

Got the gun right (G23) but didn't carry it for a while. First leather holster I bought for it was the Don Hume H721OT and they remain my favorite OWB holster.

My first cary gun was a S&W model 36 no dash in a leather IWB open top holster with a nice chrome belt clip, the top end of undercover police holsters of the day. Still have the gun and sometimes carry it but the holster is decades ago gone. Now when carried it is in a pocket holster.

Last edited:
I still use my first carry gun (Walther PPK) occasionally. I don't use my initial carry method with it--it usually gets carried with a smart-carry type setup which was the second method I used with the PPK.

I went to a third carry method (IWB no cant holster) with the PPK before switching to another gun (Kahr CW9) with an IWB holster having a forward cant (EPS C-Force). I carried that combination for awhile but the C-Force had only a rear attachment point which let the front of the holster move around more than I liked. I switched to another holster (EPS Summer Cruiser) and I'm still using the CW9 and the EPS Summer Cruiser combo as my primary carry setup.

I don't carry the PPK in the IWB holster any more. If my mode of dress allows for IWB carry, I carry the CW9/Summer Cruiser combo. I only switch back to the PPK/Smart carry type setup when I can't manage IWB.

So that's 5 holsters/carry methods and 2 guns all together. That entire sequence played out over about 20 years--concealed carry before 1995 wasn't legal in TX.

I mostly carry a 642 in a Mika pocket holster when dressed for work. It was the original gun I bought for concealed carry. The first holster I used was a Safariland pocket holster and it was fine, but decided to try a Mika and have been using it since.

First carry gun was a 3" S&W 65 in a desantis belt holster. Still a good rig, although I switched to IWB and an auto more recently. I did try the 65 in a nylon IWB for a very short time. Won't do that again.

WG

Gone through many gun/holster combinations during the last 30+ years. All were "right" for the time and circumstances, yet none are what I carry today.

The only thing that never worked for me at all were ankle holsters.

This is great!! Personally I check the threads a couple times a day hoping for a great thread like this. I didn't pick the best choice first, but I did pick the one and subsequent holsters I thought were. From there I learned and grew and moved the focus narrower to better choices. I am glad the way worked. I don't think it was a waste. I wouldn't have listened to anyone anyway :) I had to over analyze everything and learn my own way.

I got it right the second time. My first purchase was for "in case I decide to CCW," but it was more because I really wanted an Israeli gun. So I purchased the BDE compact. I've only carried it CCW on a few occassions (finally found some holster and accessories on zahal.org), but again I just wanted the gun for the sake of having that gun more than anything. I was mistaken in thinking that it would be easier to carry/conceal than a full-size 1911.

My second CCW was a hand-me-down Astra in .32. I carried in a generic pocket holster while I delivered pizza for a little while. Then I bought my first did dedicated, planned at purchase, I will carry this, CCW weapon. It was a Khar CW9 and a knock-off Wild Bills IWB holster. Still using that rig, all day and every day. It is time for a holster upgrade, though, as my knock-off is about worn out. There's a local guy that makes a good concept of an IWB holster that I like, I think I'm going to try that.

Back