Did I go to far?

I can't believe some of what I'm reading.

In my state, carrying when a sign says no carry is a crime, and if caught, your carry permit will disappear.

OP did textbook example of exactly what to do.

Every business wants feedback, good or bad. Most big chains are offering prizes to people who do an online survey. The idea that they will see a decline in sales, and understand it is because of the gun sign is ridiculous. So is the idea that they've studied the issue and anticipated the gains or loses from it. (Just ask Target about that whole bathroom thing)

Most businesses want to please their customers in order to get more business. They usually feel that putting up these signs is pleasing their customers. They truly want to know if they are not. it's smart business.

I live in a small town, with an independent grocery store under the title of "IGA" (Independent Grocers Assoc.). They are like a coop or a chain of independents. In a small town, most of the customers are regulars, and known to the employees. They put up one of those signs because they thought their customers would be pleased. They received numerous complaints after doing so, and the signs came back down.

As somebody else said, boycotting is pointless if they don't know you are boycotting, and why. Like when the wife isn't speaking, and you ask her what's wrong, and she answers with a seething "nothing!" Unless you're expecting store employee to see you on the street, and say "Hey, I noticed you haven't been in the store in a while. Why aren't you coming in?"

OP did the right thing. Not just a matter of pressuring them with losing money. Sometimes they need to know that they are displeasing loyal customers.

While you do have an idealistic point, I believe my "Right to Self-Defense/Life" supersedes their "Right Not to Be Irrationally Scared".
Because i respect other people that doint want firearms on their private property, just like i would want the same curtsey from them.

If you play devils advocate, then the person on the other side may think your need to carry a gun is a result of irrational fear.

While you do have an idealistic point, I believe my "Right to Self-Defense/Life" supersedes their "Right Not to Be Irrationally Scared".

I applaud you for everything you did which I feel was 100% correct.
You did not go into a posted store (you respected their rights).
You informed a manager of the reason why.
You emailed the man in charge and explained your position.
You went to the competitor and are giving your old store the chance to change their policy.
Well done!
As others have said, the store has as much of a right to ban carrying as you do to carry. Your right doesn't trump theirs. Those who stomp on other's rights because they feel they are more important just don't get how this all works. They give ammo (pun intended) to the antis who say we are all neanderthals. I guess that guys who ignore the wishes of others just have double standards and don't care.

You did not go too far in my opinion; as a matter of fact, I have done something similar.

I felt the business needed to know why I was betraying them. I really did like this business and went there a great deal. I feel a little disloyal for leaving

In my opinion, it was the store that betrayed and was disloyal to a good customer, not the other way around. You were willing to continue doing business as you had in the past. They created new conditions for continuing the relationship.

manta49 said:
I never said he was, but some seem to be advising him its OK to ignore the signs. I wonder if they would be happy for someone come into their house armed, if they had said they didn't want people bringing firearms in to their house.

in my opinion a place of buisness thats open to the public is not the same as a home. Self defense is a civil right, bearing arms is a constitutional right. A person has to shop in order to live, as some have testified here its not always an option to simply shop somewhere else.

In some states its legal to ignore the signs, I feel sorry for the people in the other states where its not.

Choices leaves consequences

In my state, carrying when a sign says no carry is a crime, and if caught, your carry permit will disappear.
By my measure, that is a very important factor. In some states, they will ask you to leave and if you don't, you will be charged with disturbing the peace. Another point, is don't "flash" and get caught. ...... :rolleyes:

At any given point in time, you only have two choices and both have their own unique set of consequences. So, make your measure and live with it. .... :)

Recently, we had a bad guy on trial. He wrestled a handgun from one of the bailiffs shot two bailiffs before he was shot by an LEO. ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

in my opinion a place of buisness thats open to the public is not the same as a home.
That might be your opinion that doesn't make you right. Its still private property you are invited in with certain conditions, just like inviting someone into your house.

That might be your opinion that doesn't make you right. Its still private property you are invited in with certain conditions, just like inviting someone into your house.

true, I hear what your saying.

Im conflicted on this one because its also my opinion that we should respect property rights, but there is a miriad of problems from constantly disarming and re-arming throughout the day including some where its simply not safe to disarm. Im also aware that the vast majority of these signs are placed by corporate default descisions, that may not always reflect the opinions of the locality of the store location.

my opinion, respect property rights whenever possible. Let the stores know why they are losing your buisness. In situations where its not possible (to shop elsewhere) concealed means concealed and figure out a way to shop elsewhere next time. If you live in a state where signs carry the force of law, disarm and face the consequences of being defensless against a criminal.

true, I hear what your saying.

Im conflicted on this one because its also my opinion that we should respect property rights, but there is a miriad of problems from constantly disarming and re-arming throughout the day including some where its simply not safe to disarm. Im also aware that the vast majority of these signs are placed by corporate default descisions, that may not always reflect the opinions of the locality of the store location.

I can see there can be a dilemma and it is up to individual to decide on what to do, ironically in this part of the UK lots carry for self defense but you woint see any no gun signs. The only time you will need to declare you are armed and leave your firearm at security is at police or army bases.

I think you did the right thing by informing management why you will not shop there anymore. I am a member of two different shooting clubs in South Florida. One club is comprised of only residents that reside within my private community and the other is populated by mostly current and retired LEOs. The policy of both clubs suggests to members if they come across the NO GUNS ALLOWED sign, is to speak with the store management and explain why we are taking our business elsewhere unless the sign is taken down.

As a point of interest, a business that posts a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign does not mean you are breaking the law by entering that business (unless you are restricted by Federal Law such as a Post Office). If you are carrying concealed, it makes no sense to announce to anyone that you are carrying. To continue, if someone from the store asks you to leave because you have a gun, you should comply. If you do not and the police are called, you can be charged with Trespassing.

It may be of interest to the reader to know that the community HOA I live in wanted to put up a sign in the residents Club House that said no guns allowed. The HOA Board was advised by the local Sheriff the sign would most likely lower home values within the community, giving people the idea that lots of people had guns. They do, but that's another story. The Sheriff informed the HOA that if a notice is sent out to all residents that there are no guns allowed in the club house, and a resident is found to be in the possession of a gun within the club house, they can be asked to leave the club house by a HOA Board member or a property manager. If they refuse to leave for whatever reason, they can arrested for Trespassing.

In some states the "No Guns" (or any other wording) may not be legally enforceable other than as trespassing if the person is told to leave and they refuse. In some states, "No Guns" signs have to have a particular wording and, if a person carries past that sign it is a violation of law that can result in anything from a fine to jail time. Even in states where "No Guns" signs aren't legally enforced under state law, Federal law applies to places where Federal law bans guns.

Giving the advice to ignore the signs may be ok in some places, but it can be a pretty serious crime

In Tennessee it is a Class A misdemeanor to carry past a sign with a gun inside a circle with a slash over it or a sign with text. Nobody knows how specifically worded that text has to be because there aren't any court rulings. A local chain of stores posted their stores "No Guns" with the circle/slash signs a few years ago. Somebody complained and the corporate management changed the policy to "No Open Carry".

For those who thinks "It's their property, so it's their decision": There have also been a few activist groups carrying around circle/slash signs and "posting" stores without telling the management or owners. The local McDonalds had that happen a few years ago and, as soon as the manager was told why he was about to lose a customer, it was removed. Just because there is a "No Guns" sign on the door doesn't mean it was their decision. It doesn't hurt to mention it. Even if it was their decision, they may change their mind if given a reason.

No different than our boycotting actors and actresses who are anti-RKBA and voting against politicians who are likewise.

fear

I will never understand how an individual or organization can fear a rational and otherwise law abiding citizen exercising a legal right, more than the possibility of a crazed criminal showing up and doing harm.

Possible explanations;
-there is a fear of the firearm itself
-there is a distrust of the citizenm moreso than the possibility of violence there
-they cannot accept the fact that bad things can happen to them and others at
their establishment

As the future seems to darken, I have quit trying to convince them.

Well done to the OP, others should do likewise.

I'm not sure that is true in Ohio. My understanding is you can be charged with misdemeanor trespassing which should not impact your right to carry. I am not sure anyone who left when asked has been charged in Ohio.

A restaurant I frequent just posted last week, or at lest I just noticed it. I had been having lunch there about once a week. Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. My wife really likes it also, so it may not be feasible for me to avoid it completely.

Good Work!

Good work, I wish more people would have the guts to make a respectful but firm stand. Nothing will change unless we can change the conversation.

The owner of a local diner and I were chatting yesterday, he said the rule of restaurant ownership is, "Never lose a regular".

So the patronage of John and his wife, mentioned above, once a week means they will lose easily $50 a week, every week, for as long as they boycott the place.

Here, I eat breakfast at a circuit of diners. Brass me off at one of them and you're losing $60 a month, minimum. Treat me right and you've got a guaranteed cash flow.

It only takes a few personal boycotts to cost a business thousands of dollars in trade over a year. Then add in word-of-mouth opportunities lost, gatherings, that kind of thing, all gone.

When they look at their receipts for the same period last year, they will see the effect. If you don't tell them why, they will never figure out the cause.

the future seems to darken, I have quit trying to convince them.
If I encounter a No Guns sign, I walk away. In the era of multiple terrorist attacks in one months time, I don't need to go unarmed into a restaurant or any other venues in which guns are banned.

Back