Destroying an antique revolver

Better ammo

I ordered mine from Natches online a few years ago but you should be able to find plastic reusable projectiles instead of using wax. They just use magnum primers for the propellant but would sure work better then wax. You could set up an indoor gallery in your den. Supposedly the plastic bullets were developed for live fire practice inside of airplanes.

I bet you could run cowboy 38 through that thing, It looks pretty solid

also, on the pic with your barrel, you know you are showing your name, address and even birthdate since I assume that is when your license expires. prob not a big deal, just saying

Not quite my address or birthday, but il probably remove it anyway. The cylinder has minor corrosion and the frame was designed for black powder. The top of the frame is thin by the cylinder gap as well. No way will I chance it. The barrel has a pressure safety as well. If the pressure gets too high from a cartridge with powder, it blows off

Almost done
image_zps78701606.jpg

image_zpsdf687c75.jpg

image_zps1b14bf40.jpg

image_zps4e6ee631.jpg

image_zpsa2990eb3.jpg

I actually thought about having it stamped with something else. In the meantime I'm going to make some wax bullets to test it out before ordering in bulk and modify a drill bit to make some crude 209 primer holes

On another interesting note, a few areas behind the grips were not effected by the bluing. Fortunately they do not show. I have alittle knowledge how guns were built back then and the only thing I can think of is maybe when the frame was cast. Perhaps during casting some of the metals impurities "floated" to the outer surface or some chemical bond formed within the casting media. If I get bored down the road I may acid etch those areas of the receiver to remove the supposed impurities that are supposedly on the surface only... And reblue.
Any thoughts ?
I really encourage people to look into this home bluing technique as well, pretty soon I will have a salt containment system and a natural gas burner for a pot that won't overflow

found this thread interesting... I don't do my own machine work, but have a retired buddy that loves to work on stuff like this to keep busy...

here is my old hopkins & allen 30 caliber rim fire, that we cut up an old 22 LR take off barrel, & made eccentric rifled chamber inserts for Super Colibri ammo... we left the barrel alone, & the 0.3" or so of rifling in the chamber inserts starts the bullet spinning, & accuracy is acceptable...albeit power will put bullets through paper, but sheet metal will stop them...

attachment.php

how about an old 44 American Bulldog :)

was unfired, or at least appeared to be when I bought it... I'm now loading handloads with shortened 44 Special cases...

attachment.php

or are you partial to the spur trigger single actions...

attachment.php

The nickel showed a distinct luster compared with the other bare spots when I sandblasted, I looked it over pretty good but who knows. Il find out for sure if I reblue it

That 44. Made a couple crude shells. Believe it or not, the pressure is high enough they need resizing after a couple shots, that's just with the primer.

Back