Delayed again! Why?!

Nope.

I get delayed about 1 in 3 times on average. No idea why it would vary, but it does.

They always give the "proceed" within 24hrs, usually the same day.

Same here, though it's probably less than 1 in 3 times these days (it's gotten better over the years). This only happens with long guns for me, as handguns go through the state and they never delay me. I've always suspected that it was a Secret Service investigation from 15-16 years ago that red flags it in my case.

I have been intermittently delayed as well. With SSN and without. Also long or handgun seems not to matter, nor does a multiple purchase. Once, after listening to my info being called in, I was not delayed. It was apparent by the tone and cadence of the conversation that that NICS call center was not busy at the time. I have a CCW permit now. In my state that replaces the NICS check. Otherwise I would have missed a lot of deals.

I must be lucky as I have never been delayed. I just purchased one this last Saturday and it only took 5 minutes for the call to be conducted. The longest was about 10 minutes during the holiday season.

I get delayed about one in five times, then again I have a very, very common name. Even providing my SSN doesn't seem to help.

In that case you become a hard copy check, wherein NICs contacts the local agency to verify the disposition of your matter.

Wildalaska is spot on - the system is supposed to bump any questionable past history till they contact the local agency that put that record on file. Since they are not supposed to keep any records of all the previous NICS checks that they have done on a particular person ( other than multiple handgun purchases ), they have to do the same search and validation each and every time.

In Illinois we have an automatic 72 hour wait.

In one sense it's not that bad because psycolgically I don't get to where I have my hopes up - I pretty much know what I'm going to get every time.

See? Because I always have to wait half a week to receive a gun I purchased, I don't get all indignant and run around flailing my arms and yelling because "I got delayed!"

Also, the up side is that buying a gun in Illinois makes every purchase a little like Christmas. It's not like walking into a hardware store and buying that tool that you've really really wanted.

Every time you purchase a handgun, you really have to wait.

Sometimes the waiting is fun ! And then when you finally get it - you are that much more happy!

I wonder if the LGDs in Illinois let you "peek" at the gun you're waiting for during the 72 hours...

Until I got my CCW, every time the dealer called in, he would get transferred to some other person for further approval. It never delayed my purchase, other than the time that he spent on hold, but it happened every single time.

That was the main driver for me getting the CCW. I have no idea why they always transferred the call. I've had no trouble with the law in my nearly 50 years. I did serve 10 years in the Navy, but that doesn't make me terribly unique :)

I guess it's just part of being ground up in the gears of government.

Woo Hoo !

I got the call that my G17L is in!

Now I go down to my FFL, fill out forms and wait for 72 hours! :D

This is so much fun - the aniticipation is making me feel giddy as a schoolgirl in spring!

Lol

Wow, this thing is still active?

OK, why not. Well, I ended up getting approved after 2 days, better than last time at least. Pics of the new hardware are loaded to Semi-auto forum

Edit: lmao, nope, never gone crazy or been told that I am

If you are delayed on most attempts on a NICE check you may want to go to the FBI web sight. There is a link to file to have your background updated so you will not get mixed up with anyone else. Its all done on line. Check it out:cool:

Just to set the record straight, the NICS check is not designed to make it difficult for you to purchase a firearm. It's designed to facilitate purchases by citizens without criminal histories and eliminate the waiting periods imposed by many states on people who have no legitimate reason to have a waiting period imposed on them.

Illinois state law specifically states that gun dealers in Illinois have to use the Illinois system:

Illinois dealers must use FTIP and not NICS unless the Illinois system is down and use of NICS is authorized. Therefore, NICS cannot override FTIP in Illinois to make a faster transaction.

That sounds to me like Illinois passed specific legislation to ensure that NICS wasn't used in Illinois to make a faster transaction.

i purchased a handgun on july 28th in about 10 minutes went back to same store on aug 10th saw another handgun i liked so tried to buy it was delayed till 16th went back was told i was denied no reason given i'm trying to find out why i have nothing to stop me from owning a gun i live in KY

Just to set the record straight, the NICS check is not designed to make it difficult for you to purchase a firearm. It's designed to facilitate purchases by citizens without criminal histories and eliminate the waiting periods imposed by many states on people who have no legitimate reason to have a waiting period imposed on them.

Nothing like restricting freedom in the name of saving us all, my goodness how did the founders ever survive without such background checks?

Sorry not aimed at you for making this statement but this is the kind of thinking our elected officials seem to come up with over and over again...

Last edited:
Ya know, I think it may have actually been just being a first- & second time buyer?

Just got a P3AT on Monday, approved on the spot:D

LGS got a kick out of the fact that I had always been delayed before at different shops, said "you just have to be nice to them":D

I have bought four guns in my life, two rifles and two handguns, and have never been delayed.

My wife has bought two guns in her life, one rifle & one handgun, no delays.

Now my FIL has bought two guns, one rifle & one handgun. Delayed both times from two different stores. He was in the Army for four years, has never had any Felony's and he can't understand why he gets delayed both times he has made a purchase. But he is a post man.

Does anyone know if your occupation has anything to do with buying a firearm?

I wouldn't think so.

I'm a Librarian, we don't really have a stereotypical tendency towards violence or going off our rockers.

I'd really like to get ahold of someone that works in that office and actually ask them what the criteria they look at are.

Back