Defend a stranger?

Back to the original thread - I still get an avoidance of the issue whether self-sacrifice is mandated to act honorably?

Is it honorable to save yourself and your family, despite what happens to others?

If self sacrifice was necessary so be it..... I will get on top of that gernade for strangers. Honor is in our actions... All things die, nothing living lives forever... Would I try to live sure, but given the gernade (no alternatives) I would do it.

Certainly I will place my familys protection as a priority but that wouldn't stop me from taking action for others. (within the law)

I would not throw my life away by doing something I consider hopeless unless it allows others a reasonable chance to live.

Too many years of being a soldier and a patriot to not live this way.. Im no superhero but I have been under fire more than once or twice...

Glen E. Meyer said:
Back to the original thread - I still get an avoidance of the issue whether self-sacrifice is mandated to act honorably?

Is it honorable to save yourself and your family, despite what happens to others?

I don't believe you need an act of self-sacrifice to "act honorably". There's no real loss of honor in protecting your family as you evacuate them or cover them while they get to a safe place.

Nor is there a loss of honor if you engage, discover you're at the disadvantage, then disengage. That temporary distraction of the aggressor may have allowed one or more people to survive.

Is it better to throw yourself on a grenade and save the five people nearest you, or to engage, either putting them down or disrupting their ability to inflice mass casualties?

Me personally would say that I would secure my family and then go try and help others and depending on whether or not I could neutralize the sit then i might do that its difficult to say to many " what ifs".

In a shooting situation, how do you secure your family?

Easy to say. There have been cases where the secured family gets shot in the dynamic mix.

I guess I'm getting cranky on cliches.

You secure your family by dropping the BG(S), or at least making them very, very unhappy by hurting there feelings or being stern with them....
:) :p

I don't think there is any obligation to assist. However if I was carrying in a 7-11 and a BG came in and started shooting at the clerk or anyone else I would probably intervene. My reason would be somewhat selfish though. For all I know when the BG finishes shooting at the clerk he could just as easily turn the gun on me, so IMHO I would be better off to start shooting at him before he starts lobbing bullets my way rather than after.

Yes for sure drop that dude right in his foot steps and I agree that would be the best way you could make sure everyone was safer, but your right there are always casualties in sits like that but the wrong decision is not making one at all!

Back