Deer Season Rapidly Approaching

Stands have been up and I am waiting til early next month to set the feeders up at the deer lease. Corn is going to be high this year, but I am still feeding year round at the house here.

My first deer hunt this year will be late October with the black powder gun. I can't wait.

Been shootin yotes all summer,got the hogs thinned out,now the 25-06 is dead on @ 200 & the freezer is ready,Come on OCT.:D

8 days to go in some parts of the state. 28 for me in my area. Going to be hot, hot, hot but I'll b there with the Bug Tamer over shorts. Sure wish they'd come up with some snake-proof flip flops and bug tamer boots.

Here in Michigan the bow opener is october 1. My cameras have been out for two months so I'm going check them this weekend and plant a couple fall plots. As dry as it has been harvest should go a little faster so I can get out a little more. We've finaly got some rain the last couple weeks and everything is nice and green again. The deer I have been glassing look pretty healthy so far. I've seen a couple nice bucks in the last week but I'm pretty sure when season opens they will get their snorkle and hide at the bottom of the swamp for a couple months:)

OS tags for deer in Ca. should be here soon. Waiting for results of draws for elk in Id and Mt. That will bring me up to opening here for deer..,...no draw. Glad I have family all over. 300WM dead on at 200.

Got permission for wife and I to hunt neighboring Farm this year. He has 150 acres across the street from my 3 acre orchard. The deer live on his land (woods and corn fields) and stop by for dessert from my 40+ fruit trees and 3 huge Persemmon Trees older than me by a long shot.

Anyway, with a combined 8 doe and 2 Buck tags (and maybe a bonus spike tag), We will fill the freezer this year, without driving anywhere. :D

I'll be in a tree next Wednesday afternoon, bow in hand. Two NICE bucks hitting the beans every afternoon within bow range. Been watching them with binos for the last couple of weeks.

Double Naught Spy said:
Man, PawPaw, your place looks drier than mine.

Yeah, but it got rain the day after we planted and it got rain yesterday. More than anything else, we were playing around, killing a Saturday morning. IN another couple of weeks, I'll top-dress with nitrogen and replant the spots that aren't doing well. Then, as the weather gets cooler, I'll start broadcasting winter wheat and rye grass.

Hope springs eternal in a hunter's heart.

Add to my Deer Season Prep list-

The Indiana DNR is hosting a series of 3 hour seminars on deer processing and butchering...and use of Venison in cooking. One of the sessions will be at the local (for me) Bass Pro Shop in early September. Wife and I made our reservation for the workshop today...no charge but space reservations requested. You can never know too much of what to do after the kill.:rolleyes:

Back