Deer Season Rapidly Approaching

Aw, a little early for the rut. I haven't started waking up in the middle of the night, hooking the headboard. BossLady appreciates that. :D

Archery deer season in Maryland opens up early September.

Jack

wtbuckfence.jpg

I'm anxious also. There have been good rains this summer so there should be plenty of acorns to make the deer plentiful. For me gun season starts on or about 21 November in Alabama. I'm hunting on opening day from a stand but after Christmas I stalk them in a leaf suit when the woods have cleared out.

Lookin' forward to getting a couple more deer this year. Just disovered an awesome recipe for backstraps & the freezer is about bare. Rule on the farm we hunt is, if it's brown, it's down. Works for me. Should rack-zilla cruise past, I'll take a shot, otherwise show me them goofy 2 & 3 yr olds.

Late season, once the rut ends, the only deer we're likely to see are the ones we drive.

I've got a Marlin 60 getting a Weaver V2.5-7x28 on 'er, for some tree-rat slaying. Furry buggers are EVERYWHERE, but are smart enough to hi-tail it outta there, come Jan 1, the end our deer season

Got the family eating venison; time to try some fried squack on 'em.

Last edited:
Opens up August 15 in some parts of SC. September 1 in my neck of the woods. Gotta make sure the Bug Tamer doesn't have an holes in it, the ThermaCell has plenty of juice and the snake boots are still good and I'm ready to go.

New hunt club this year too. Looking forward to a set up that has some restrictions on the size of bucks and not just 6 points like the old one. Dove fields, turkeys, hogs, quail and other vermin are there as well. Food plots galore on the property. Should be a good season. Oh and does as many times as I want to pay to process one.

Loving all the posts in this thread. Gets me all hyped and ready for the upcoming season! We've been getting a lot of rain down here in central Texas and the deer I've seen so far have nice bodies already and it's only July. Cameras have some good pictures on them, and I hope everyone else is starting to see the same! I love seeing a buck and setting my sights on him before the season starts(not with a gun if that needed clarification :D)

South TX Deer

The deer are looking promising on the lease I hunt on too. Too bad I'm a guest on this deer lease and only shoot scrubs :( I'll probably just shoot one on my place this year. They've been moving across my place bigtime...tracks everywhere.

Y'all been gettin a lot of rain down near Victoria? We've been getting an insane amount up here in central texas considering the recent past in the summer! Love to see those bodies nice and fat for the summer. Can't wait to fill the freezer and eat some good meat at school. :D Cafeteria food is good, but my roommates and myself love some venison.

Looks like I should have something to shoot at this season. That bare spot on the right edge of the picture is a salt lick. You can see my shooting house between the trees. From the shooting house to the deer is 75 yards.

MDGC0211a.jpg

MDGC0209a.jpg

MDGC0142a.jpg

MDGC0339a.jpg

I'M more or less ready to hunt. But I need to change the scope on my gun. It messed up last winter and the crosshairs like to move on their own. But this year, I have 2 more guns I'm going to be using also, a 45-70 and a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. Also the first year I get to hunt with my best friend, first year he's been legally allowed to hunt off of his family's land. Ought to be an interesting year.

Shell'sButt and I are sittin' on our customary scant dozen deer & antelope tags, and we might hunt elk as well, if we get the small stuff down early.

A pair of Remingtons, her M722 in .257 and my Custom M721 in .30-06, will do the lions share of the work:), but I wouldn't bet against at least 2 whitetail getting shotgunned on the run.;)

I might take my doe speed goat with a sidelock .50, Mosin 91/30, or my Ruger GP-100....haven't decided yet.:D

Last edited:
Been shooting my revolvers from 25 to 100 yards and am dialed in at all ranges but may have to give up on using my Walkers for deer. Still shooting way high no matter what load I use and the sights aren't exactly adjustment friendly. Looks like my rifle will get the nod for Black Powder season. I need to get my crossbow out for a little work out.

I'll be hunting deer Nov 9-15. Got the time off from work, I'll be getting paid to hunt deer this year. Life is good.

We spent yesterday putting in feed plots. Our gun season starts the last week of October, but it's time to start doing things to get ready.

foodplot+06.jpg

We went to collect feeders and I found that the squirrels ate a hole in my feeder. Plenty of time to get that fixed before I start feeding in late September, but it's a good thing I went to check. Less than 90 days and we'll be deer hunting in the Gret Stet of Louisiana.

My feeder has been running for weeks now, took the weedeater and cleaned up camp. I'm headed out there tomorrow to sight in a couple rifles and relocate a stand for bow hunting. Shoot, preperation is half the fun!

"If you look through your scope and see your shoe, aim higher."
-- said to me by my 11 year old daughter before going out for hogs 8/13/2011

"From the mouth of babes." Obviously much to sage advice to have come from an adult.

But I just have one question. Who was going out for hogs, you or her!?

Back