Deer season is over........what now?

I just replied to this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510900

So, I got to thinking and would like to throw the question out there, what do you fellow members do after slaying of the brown demon ends?

Do you small game hunt? Hog Hunt? Yotes?.........and so on.

I always talk about going rabbit / squirrell hunting or threaten to take up yote hunting but for me, ice fishing gets in the way. Call me crazy, but I love sitting in a heated shanty bringing up some tasty Bluegills, Crappie, or Perch. Also, living in Michigan gives me the opportunity to fish for Huge.......I mean some of the biggest you'll find Walleye out on Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron). There is nothing quite like catching a 30 plus inch 10 -12 lb. Walleye on a 30 inch ice rod.

Let me hear from you guys and gals.

Last edited:
Waterfowl season till the end of January. Small game until the end of February. Also a good time to get to the range and work on load development. Nobody else shoots there when it is cold and I usually have it by myself from sunup until noon. Take a couple of weeks off and turkey season starts in mid March till Mid May. June, July and August for fishing and practice at the firing range. Squirrel opens again in mid August and back to deer from mid Sept. to January 1.

"Brown Demon"? We call them deer. there are no demons involved, for me.:)
The answer to the question What Now.... clean your rifle work up some more loads, buy another scope for that other rifle in the corner, take your mother in law out to dinner......:cool:

I start getting ready for next season. In another week or so, I'll take the .22 out for a late season squirrel hunt. See if I can kick up a cottontail. Tramp the woods for a little while.

Then load development, get out the pistols for the spring pistol shooting season. There's lots to do for a gunny, all year long. Sometime this spring I want to build another box stand and put it up so the deer will get used to it by next November.

We have 2 more weeks of Anltlerless Late Season ..... this year limited to the riverbottoms.

Daughter Jac still has a tag to fill, and does not go back to school til the 8th.

:p

After that it is Reloading Season until it is warm enough to go outsid and call turkeys. Then it's Prairie Dog Season, followed by Bowling Pin...... which lasts until Dove in September...... and then fall turkey, and then it's deer season again, followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas Season!

how about mountain lion? not sure how u feel about it but they say it tastes like pork. Suppose to be one of the toughest animals to hunt, in case you want a challenge. Not to mention you would be helping out the research project and deer population.

You could take time to contact your representatives and ask them to oppose any new gun or magazine capacity bans.

After that I hear hog hunting is fun.

Wow, some of you guys really have your year planned out or it's just a vicious repeating cycle that goes on year after year after year. I too have some load development to get after and I'm planning to purchase a 12 or 20 guage slug barrel for my Encore. So, you know that means a scope purchase and mounting project too. A box blind will probably go behind the house to replace the Ameristep pop up..................but that's after the fishing!

And I'm out on the Moutain Lion. Maybe if it tasted like chicken instead of pork.

Our hunting starts in September (Antelope) and ends in early/mid October (Elk, and/or Deer).

Once it's over, we start planning for the next one.

In the mean time, there are coyotes to kill, rabbits/hares to chase, and a few birds worth eating.

I wanted to get out before Chukar season is over, but my shotgun decided it was worn out; and my backup (.44 Mag with custom shot shells) is in Ruger's hands for a new cylinder. I could use my .444 Marlin with .410 loads in .444 cases, in a pinch; but effective range is quite limited, and I only have 3 cases for shot loads. - Maybe next year. :(

In the Spring, it'll be time to hit the rodent population for erosion and coyote food control measures. Everything from .22 Short, to .270 Win, to .416 Rigby, to .450 Nitro will come out of the woodwork, to blast the ground squirrels and jack rabbits (if it was a good year for jacks).

But, between now and June, we have several drawings to enter, if we want to hunt anything bigger than a rabbit in 2013. Utah big game first. Then, Wyoming big game and Wyoming antlerless. Then Utah antlerless. Then Wyoming bonus points (if not taken care of in the draw). Then we buy an over-the-counter Elk tag, if applicable.

My first application is due Jan 31. Time to get crackin'. :eek:

How about a search for the ever elusive and extremely rare Rott'a'lope?

majorwantlers_zps62ba3fac.jpg

:D Be nice, I know he's small but the little fella is just a pup and camera shy as they get;)

Personally After muzzle loader went out.....I don't even think about it. I've just been doing this.... wring my hands around rifle....clean hunting gear....look at new hunting gear and rifle....cuss the 41:eek: (yes I really saw and counted 41 ) brown @#!%$!#@ I saw on the drive around to the barn to feed the horse around 6:20 this afternoon.

Back