Deciding on a .22LR semi auto ... Walther, Bersa, Ruger

I own 2 SR22s, long and short slides, and bumped the mags all up to 17 w/ the aftermarket kits, they are great, and the M&P is nice too (better trigger, but worse controls and mag capacity)... the new kel tec in .22 looks fun too. Maybe one of both in my future.. and the kel tec pmr30 looks really cool too (in 22wmr)..

But the point of a surpressed .22lr escapes me. I mean at the range ears are no problem, occasionall shooting with this caliber simply isn't that painful (if you were hunting or defending yourself somehow).. just no need for it if you ask me, especially not worth it gven the red tape required anyway.

There is a mag capacity upgrade kit for the m&p 22c that increases capacity to 14 rounds. I don't have it and don't know if it's reliable or not, but it's available.

I don't like the backward safety of the Ruger SR22. It's opposite of all my safety equiped handguns. Otherwise, it seems like a fine pistol.

@GarandTd, yep, the backward safety on the SR22 is the main thing that steered me away from it.

@riffraff, I have tinnitus and other ear conditions from playing in a loud rock band for 20 years. Even with plugs and muffs, it will get flared up after a certain amount of shooting, because your bones will conduct sound and it will still get to your eardrums. The suppressor will allow me to shoot more and for longer. Plus, there are areas near me in the woods where I can plink around, and the suppressor will help keep the neighbors from calling the cops. And, if I need to dispense of errant animals in my back garden, I can do so without the neighbors calling the cops. (although my rifle and CB caps currently work pretty well for that) Every person's situation is different, and the suppressor will be worth every penny & every bit of red tape to me. May end up with one for a .45 at some point. It's only money, and ya can't take it with ya.

I'll likely get a couple other .22 models, like the more accurate longer barreled Victory, or one of the Rugers or the Buckmark, and use the same suppressor.

Here is Auger Precision Firearms' video that I was talking about. It wouldn't really matter for the can I'm getting, but it is interesting info to know about the thread adapters.

The other good thing about the Hughes adapter that I ordered is it accepts a standard open end wrench, 7/16" I believe, eliminating the need for the thin factory pot metal wrench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjYYCq2jiQ

The M&P Compact i ordered won't have an adapter, but I suppose the thread protector itself will be a bitch to get loose. If so, I plan on soaking it in my favorite penetrant, Kroil, overnight. It has worked wonders on everything I've used it on.

There is a mag capacity upgrade kit for the m&p 22c that increases capacity to 14 rounds. I don't have it and don't know if it's reliable or not, but it's available.

I don't like the backward safety of the Ruger SR22. It's opposite of all my safety equiped handguns. Otherwise, it seems like a fine pistol.

The SR22 safety thing is backwards but functions as a decocker just like a DA/SA Sig, so for me is like other pistols. I do not typically use the safety on my SR22s other than to decock, in DA mode the trigger is inherently safe IMHO... at least for normal use where I employ a good holster on my hip, I do not feel the need to ever safety an SR22.

As an aside, I've met few Zamak bashers online who knew the extent of what metal alloys include.

Steel is an allow of carbon and iron after all...

Well Guitar, I was going to jump into the middle of this pile of recommendations with suggesting the S&W M&P compact would fit you well, however, you have discovered that wisdom by yourself. I keep my compact, extra magazines and two bricks of ammo in a plastic ammo can sealed with a padlock securing everything,

And now for something completely different...Look at the Beretta Neos. My wife wanted one and since it was going to be her pistol I bought her one. While it is kind of weird looking it shoots well and is easy to take down and clean.

TX22

I recently on impulse bought a Ruger TX22. Almostv100 rounds with my MysticX silencer and its only coughed a time or two. Usually amo was to blame. Rack, smack bang. Actually rack and bang. Bent nose hollowpoints to blame. Only used Winchester range bucket ammo. 1400 rnds for $55 at Walmart.

The included barrel to can adaptor is what made me pull the trigger... Shoots very quietly in my back yard.

Back