Dearborn, MI...what was this guy up to? [merged threads]

Manedwolf

Man with AK-47 assault rifle arrested after leaving Dearborn's Hemlock Park

PUBLISHED: September 12, 2007

DEARBORN - Houssein Zorkot, a 26-year-old Dearborn resident, was arraigned Tuesday in 19th District Court on multiple felony charges, including carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent — a five-year felony.

Advertisement
Zorkot, a third-year medical student at Wayne State University, was allegedly armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and dressed in black clothing with camouflage paint covering his face when he was arrested Saturday in Hemlock Park.

According to police, Zorkot was observed attempting to leave the park in a black SUV after officers had received reports of a man carrying a rifle in the area. He was placed under arrest and is scheduled to undergo a preliminary examination at 9 a.m. Sept. 21 in 19th District Court.

Zorkot has also been charged with one count of possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle and one count of felony firearm. He remains in custody on a $1 million bond (cash, no 10 percent).

For more on this story, see Sunday’s edition of the Press & Guide.

Contact Staff Writer Sean Delaney at (313) 359-7820 or sdelaney@heritage.com.

http://www.pressandguide.com/stories/091207/loc_breakingnews.shtml

Here's the guy's website:

http://www.zorkot.org/gallery/main.php

With a VERY interesting picture from his 2006 trip to Lebanon, a beautiful "Thanks to Hezbollah" painting there!

And on the third gallery page, a picture titled " The Start of My Personal Jihad (in the US)" :eek:

What was he up to with face paint and all with a loaded AK in a public park, I wonder?

(And notice the lack of attention from the MSM. Shh.)

Last edited:
Someone on another site pointed out that the chronological order of photos on his site turns from an ordinary medical student with laid-back western-looking parents...to his mom now in a complete headcovering and him talking about jihad and hezbollah and shown practicing with a AK.

Someone is radicalizing these people in the classic brainwashing manner of cults...and this is not going to end well, here.

What I wonder is WHY the MSM is so quiet. Are they hoping for high-ratings stories when jihadists actually do go off here?

I agree.
Why the MSM doesn't pick up these stories, is IMO them telling us what they want us to hear. If they reported this it would give the current president more credibility. Any they really don't seem to want to do that.

Disappointing indeed that it's not being covered. That being said let's not forget that this guy does not speak for anyone but himself nor does he appear to have connections to anything larger.

Would reactions be the same if this was a guy with a different background?

Redworm, did you look at his website?

The photos go chronologically from "westernized family" to "radicalized" to "hezbollah" to "jihad".

It's obvious there's something going on there. I'm not going to deal in hypotheticals of "different backgrounds". The fact is, by his own postings, he went to Lebanon and got converted from a student and muslim to a radical islamist. That chain needs to be broken, through information and education and whatever else it takes.

We are at war with Islamist radicals here and abroad. And we need to find out just how they're being converted to radicalization and violence, and stop it.

The problem is that any Muslim here or in other countries who tries to turn in radicalized sorts is labeled an apostate and subject to being killed. The extremists are being taught that there's a special place in paradise if they kill apostates.

Speaking to The Times at a secret location before the committee’s launch today, the Labour Party councillor said that the movement would declare war on radical Islam. Similar organisations campaigning for reform of the religion have sprung up across Europe and representatives from Britain and Germany will join the launch in The Hague today.

“Sharia schools say that they will kill the ones who leave Islam. In the West people get threatened, thrown out of their family, beaten up,” Mr Jami said. “In Islam you are born Muslim. You do not even choose to be Muslim. We want that to change, so that people are free to choose who they want to be and what they want to believe in.”

Maybe it's time to try an incentive to educate moderate Muslims on self-defense, let them know "Hey, you HAVE to turn in the radicals or your religion is toast...and if they come after you for it, here's how to defend yourself."

That, and limit travel of Americans to training-ground countries like Pakistan and Lebanon, because it seems like they go there, become radicalized, come back, and are subject to that "sudden jihad syndrome" thing, acting on their own. Whether it's trying to run over students at a college with an SUV, shooting up a mall in Utah, or this guy.

Something. Or this is going to happen more and more, and be successful. Imagine Virginia Tech, but with a jihadist in an elementary school, even acting on their own!

Right now, America keeps hitting the snooze button.

Oh I certainly agree that something is going on. And without turning this into a religious debate it certainly looks like this man's interpretation of islam is a core part of his motivations. I'm just wary about witch hunts and while I don't see this as one I feel it's important to have all the facts before jumping to conclusions. I know I'm guilty of the same sometimes and I try to catch myself on it; the last thing we need is to anger people that would have otherwise turned them in because we're jumping at any mention of "jihad". That word does not mean what so many want it to mean.

However I do agree that it's a good idea to pass along self defense training and general familiarity with firearms to those in the Muslim community along with everyone else. More people with a tangible concept of freedom in their hands means more people striving to keep that freedom. Armed society = polite society. :D

Last edited:
You are all racist! That poor guy was probably just hunting and got lost....... :rolleyes:

I'm sure the WA racist police will be here shortly....:p

I'm sure the WA racist police will be here shortly....

You rang?

Im confused...a Lebanese guy gets popped for running around a public place with an AK and a burhka? Whats rascist about that? Its not like you are bashing Mexicans again :)

Just another crime story......for now.

Now if you are bored, did you know that Sears voice mail system allows for Spanish! Boycott em!
:D
WildmybroinlawispartsyrianyouknowAlaska TM

Here is another story that is not being covered in the MSM:

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/terrorism.php?id=1330248

This "explanatory memorandum," as it's titled, outlines the "strategic goal" for the North American operation of the extremist Muslim Brotherhood (Ikhwan). Here's the key paragraph:

The process of settlement [of Islam in the United States] is a "Civilization-Jihadist" process with all the word means. The Ikhwan must understand that all their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and "sabotaging" their miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all religions. Without this level of understanding, we are not up to this challenge and have not prepared ourselves for Jihad yet. It is a Muslim's destiny to perform Jihad and work wherever he is and wherever he lands until the final hour comes, and there is no escape from that destiny except for those who choose to slack.

Conquering by birthrate only works until the other side figures out the game and makes "adjustments." That will happen here too.

And this guy was an advanced student at medical school? Satan is pretty persuasive. He managed to fool this guy into throwing away a very valuable future*. Imagine what he can sell to serious losers.

*yes, you can practice medicine in the US with a felony conviction, but will they let you back into medical school after your 3-year sabbatical in the pokey?

Still not being reported:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2007/09/018469.php

We wrote here about the arrest of Houssein Zorkot, a third-year medical student who was apprehended in Dearborn, Michigan, with a loaded AK-47 and his face covered with camouflage paint. Zorkot maintained an Islamist web site on which he proclaimed his admiration for Hezbollah.

Today, the local newspaper in Dearborn reported that a laptop seized from Zorkot's home is being examined for any evidence of connections with terrorist groups. It also contains a fuller description of the circumstances of Zorkot's arrest than was published earlier this week.

Zorkot's arrest has gone virtually unreported. A Google News search indicates that it has been covered in the local Dearborn and Detroit newspapers. Fox News picked up the story within the last 24 hours. Beyond that, it has been reported only by Newsbusters, Spero News, the Christian Broadcasting Network and Power Line and a handful of other web sites that, for some reason, don't show up on Google News.

Blegh.

As I said, I think the MSM likes to sit on stories like this because it'd be more interesting if they do not call attention to this danger and someone is eventually successful.

As the old song goes about news, "We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5, she can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die..."

Ratings. If they can breathlessly go on about an actual OMG RAMPAGE! for days on end, their ratings go up.

They choose to ignore a smoldering fire, thus allowing people to see it and put it out...in hopes of a big, dramatic conflagration they can report on, and that is why I have absolutely no respect for them.

I doubt it's an MSM conspiracy, per se. A] they hate Bush and think that stories about stuff like this will help him, B] they're not bright, and C] they're all preoccupied with getting laid off right now.

Back