Daughter right hand, left eye dominant - pistol - What to do?

Me too

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have been able to train around it for the most part. I can shoot a handgun from either side and use the correct eye without trouble, All I can say is practice.

Where I run into trouble is optics, If I try to look through optics with my right eye, I cannot see through it until I blink my left eye. I have tried to train my eye dominance for years, but it always returns to my left eye. I have just had to learn to deal with it.

Eye dominance is no big issue with a pistol... Just tilt/turn the head a little more, adjust left some with your arms, and use the dominate eye.

Some really well known darn good pistol shots are right handed and left eye dominate... They're easy to spot, if you look for them.

There is no reason at all to try to overcome wrong eye dominance for shooting open sighted pistols...

My wife and son are both "wrong eyed".

Last edited:
I'm right handed and was right eye dominant , lost the sight in my right eye.
Now I'm right handed , left eye dominant.
Shoot handguns by holding in right hand and aiming with left eye , I may tilt my head a bit to the right but make no effort to do so. Have your daughter close her right eye while shooting , it helps. Some do much better NOT shooting with both eyes open....I always have done better with one eye closed or nearly closed. Now that one eye is blind....I can tell you that you don't HAVE to shoot with both eyes open , one eye will do the job.

Long arms I just shoot left handed. Trigger control with rifles and shotguns isn't hard to master , it's not like trying to write ! Haven't found any easier method than that .

Gary

cross dominance

The issue of shooters with a cross dominant master eye is a frequent topic on this forum.

I'm right handed and have a left master eye.

I shoot handguns with an isosceles stance and I just slightly shift my head to the right to line the left eye up with the sights. Doesn't affect binocular sight or peripheral vision or any of that. It's not a big deal for most shooters.

I’ve instructed in firearms on and off at the local regional police academy since 1988 and in the ANG as a combat arms instructor for 10 years and as an LEO since 1982. It is my observation that about 20% of the population have a cross dominant master eye.

When shooting rifle, I fire from the right shoulder, close my left eye, and shoot with the right eye. Some people (10%?) can't independently close one eye or the other and leave the other eye open (often can't close the master eye) and I'm not sure what the solution is for those folks when they're shooting a long gun. Some people have a greater natural tendency toward bilateralism/ambidexterity than others, and some can fire off the weak shoulder with some ability, but most people can't do that.

I know a minority of instructors try to take a cross-dominant shooter (right handed -- left master eye, for example) and try to teach them to shoot left handed. That's worked well for some shooters and not at all for others . . .

I can't use occluded eye gunsights with my particular set of vision characteristics, and in my experience most cross-dominant shooters can't either, but I do know a few cross-dominant operators who can without significant difficulty. So, it's a little hard to come to a rule that's "carved in stone", particularly since a person's eye sight may significantly change over the course of their lifetime/shooting career.

Back