Daughter right hand, left eye dominant - pistol - What to do?

With handguns I do exactly what Sharkbite recommends. With long guns I shoot left-handed (left-handed bolt action rifles and right-handed pump shotguns.) Rotating my head enough to shoot a handgun with a dominant left eye and both eyes open is extremely easy. Tilting my head to the left is a pain in the neck (and elsewhere).

With pistols, self defense shooting is best done w/ both eyes open - max peripheral vision.

Have her shoot groups using left as dominant hand, then right as dominant and see how she groups, and which way she is most comfortable.

I don't see the issue. I'm right handed/left eye dominant. The sight always goes to my left eye.. what's the issue? I shoot with both eyes open at close ranges and close my right eye when I'm trying to reach out past 20 yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

for close shots I simply drift my left hand over toward my right eye (both eyes open) and sort of lean my head to meet it in the middle. For anything beyond 15 yards, I close my right eye and for my left eye to do the work.

cross dominance

After 50+ years of shooting, eye surgery and the aging process, my eye dominance changed from right to left (I'm right handed).

I still shoot competitively with handguns and use red dots on all comp guns. My scores remain at the top; no problem, have her tilt her head and change her stance slightly.

Rifles, use scopes and can get by at times with a peep rear sight.

The frustrating weapon is the shotgun. Extremely frustrating!

Good luck.

Before I knew what "eye-dominance" was, I was taught to simply close my left eye (I am right handed). Let me emphasise......there was no analysis done..... just close your left eye and sight down range with the other.

Rifle, pistol, shotgun.....I do so quickly and instinctively, as the firearm is brought up to eye level. If the situation dictates, I open my left eye to assess the situation and hit it again. No issues whatsoever.

Absolutely no offense.....but because of this, I have always been taken aback by these cross-dominance threads, like the kid has ADD or something. I have learned much later in life that I too am cross-dominant, so seeing people so spun up about it is somewhat unnerving.

Close the other eye....and chillax:D

As a new shooter with the same issue. I was shown to camber the gun about 45 dergrees toward the dominant eye. It seems to correct the issue as the sights are still aligned on target. It has worked well for.me

hopeitsapar2 said:
...I was shown to camber the gun about 45 dergrees toward the dominant eye....
Not the best idea. Sights are regulated to be directly above the axis of the bore. Canting the gun that far changes the geometry and can affect point of impact relative to point of aim. See posts 7 and 16.

I was taught to shoot left handed. When they tried that crap of putting tape, and eye patches on me it gave me migraines so bad I vomited on the feet of the idiot that did it. Simple fix see how she does shooting lefty. If that is a problem, then work on another solution.

Use the patch, and learn shoot strong hand. It comes naturally quickly.
If one develops such strong [for that matter any] significant vertigo
as to become sick then there are much deeper problems afoot.

Best find that out early and address it medically.

Handgun I shoot right handed using my left eye. Rifle I shoot left handed and have all my shooting life of well over 50 years. Shooting left handed just comes natural and I have several left hand bolt guns.

Ron

Wife has the same issue as OP:
1. Right handed.
2. Left eye dominant.
PLUS....
3. Can not close left eye (without closing both).
4. Difficulty operating semi-auto handgun "left handed."

We went through all the permutations and settled on:

Handgun
1. Shoot right handed.
2. Turn head a bit to align left eye with sights.
3. Close right eye if'n she feels like it.
And she does fine, now.

Long Gun
1. Shoot lefty
2. Close right eye if she feels like it.
Same thing: she does fine.

For my own part, I can shoot--for a while--both eyes open. But after a while, after I get tired, I have to close the lfet eye.

We were just talking about this when I went through my CCW class this past Saturday. This is where I discovered that I was cross-eye dominant (left eye- right hand) as well.

I don't have any words of wisdom when it comes to long guns, but what I have found with shooting a pistol that works for me, is to use an exaggerated Weaver stance to the point where I'm almost standing side on to my target, which in turn brings the weapon up to the proper sight picture.

Once I realized why I kept pulling most of my rounds to the left (thought it had something to do with grip, anticipation, etc) my accuracy improved significantly. It's still a work in progress, but I am getting better.

Knowing that there is an issue is the first step to either over coming or correcting it.

good luck to the OP

Exco

Close the other eye....and chillax

Do you do that when driving down the street, playing tennis, baseball or golf? All of those activities require 3-D depth perception which you lose when you close one eye.

Since she is fairly new, it would be best to start her on her dominant eye side, especially for rifles and shotguns

This is not hard... or at least it needn't be.

Aim dominant eye side for handguns.
Aim dominant body side for long guns.*
Shoot dominant body side for everything -- for that is how you will react in the moment

* in the moment at both skeet & trap w/ only a ramp & bead, I shoot right/aim left. No big deal

I'm also right hand left eye dominant.

There are two aspects of this issue here.

First is that being cross dominant is not a condition, a problem or issue. About 1/4 to 1/3 or more of people are cross dominant. It isn't an issue for machinists, heart surgeons, welders or carpenters. The dentist don't smear Vaseline or Valvoline on his specs when pulling a tooth. It's not a problem in shooting either. It just is. You adapt to the guns.

Second thing is that there are different shooting sports. Each has it's needs. I'll have to finish that thought later.

tipoc

Simple -- you (I) shoot long guns right-eyed, and handguns left-eyed.

I am right-handed and left eye dominant. I found it much easier and more accurate to shoot long guns left-handed with my left eye sighting through the scope or on the beads or iron sights, and to shoot hand-guns with my right hand and both eyes open with the left eye dominating the sighting (obviously). Doing the opposite, as you suggest, wasn't natural or accurate. When I confronted being left-eye dominant over 60 years ago it seemed very easy to shoot a .22 rifle accurately left-handed (although it was a right-handed, single shot bolt action.) In short, it was much easier to shoot left-handed accurately than right-handed despite the initial awkwardness of learning to shoot left-handed. The same is true for my compound bows. I can't swing a baseball or softball bat left-handed, but shooting a bow left-handed was easy because of my dominant left eye. I even suspect my cross-dominance adversely affected my golfing right-handed (at least that is my excuse.) ;)

Last edited:
Back