Dangerous game you have taken, what caliber & load did you use?

Keith: This thread was supposed to be about results of guns/loads on dangerous game...when you were hunting. Not defensive shooting or defensive weapons to protect oneself in the woods from attacks. Though it has wondered off topic a bit.

As to black bears vs browies...I was simply making clear what I considered dangerous game to be. IMO a black bear isn't dangerous game since deer rifle work fine on them.

Now if you want to call black bears dangerous animals or whatever that makes sense to me. They can kill people, but so can dogs and rattle snakes. I don't consider dogs or rattlesnakes as dangerous game though.

Brown Bears will hunt and eat adult black bears. I don't think very many black bears would hunt and eat an adult brown bear.

I saw this discovery channel thingy, about bears eating salmon....

There was this HUGE blackbear eating salmon at a stream, probably 400lbs. Then out of the brush on the other side of the river come this grizzly, half his size, prolly 200 or 250lbs. The grizzly just walks strait towards him like he don't care at all. The blackie looks up and kinda trots about 30 yards down stream and starts fishin again. The brown bear don't even break stride, just pivots on two legs, and resumes course strait towards the Black. The black saw him comin' and high tailed it out of there.

I was like "go whoop his a$$, you're bigger!!!" evidently he didn't want to tangle. The browns claws were about 4 inches long. I couldn't really tell the length of the blacks, but alot shorter. They know whose king of the woods:D

I have zero experience, but I just finished Death in the Dark Continent, in which Capstick discusses which of the Big Five is most dangerous. He doesn't really come to a conclusion, but he does devote a chapter to illustrating why the Leopard is possibly the most dangerous. I wouldn't dismiss leopards so easily. Capstick says leopards:
1. Are nearly invisible because they're small and perfectly camouflaged.
2. Are utterly determined to kill once wounded.
3. Charge only from very close quarters, about 5 yards or less, and without any warning noise or growls as lions do.
4. Attack with teeth and all four sets of claws at the same time, sort of grabbing with the teeth, raking with the front claws and windmilling the rear legs to disembowel.

Capstick hunted them with major calibers and uses a homemade armored jacket and helmet along with a Winchester Model 12 full of buckshot for going in after the wounded.

Yeah well, I've been having trouble with TFL since they "upgraded" in December, so while I pop in occasionally, it sometimes won't let me post.

Point taken as to hunting vs defensive arms. Having shot both, I much prefer the .375 to the .338. Even though I know that "on paper" the .338 has less foot pounds of recoil, it's a sharper kick and much more unpleasant to shoot than the good old .375. And of course with the .375, you can get more bullet weight and still an entirely reasonable trajectory for long shots, so... why not?

I say that even though I don't own one. I'm now hunting with a .350 Rem Mag which is sort of a ".375 Light". A short action model 7 in a 6 pound package. A good compromise when you gotta sneak around in thick brush in brown bear country. I don't think I'd want to hunt a cape buffalo with it though....

dangerous

Women are the most dangerous game there is.
All require a different tactic.
Good luck to anyone on this hunt.
May the force be with you!!!!!!:D

Back