Dan Wesson Pistol Pack

A friend on mine had a Dan Wesson Model 15 with a complete set of barrels, on consighnment for $300. He did not have the case. The gun set in the case for over 6 months. It did not sell?

Consignment

I am always a little leery about consignments. Most of the consignment deals I have herd about, the dealer charges about 10%. 10% of $300 is not much motivation for the dealer/salesmen. There are probably several more profitable guns in the same display case...

Does your friend still have the model 15? I'd be willing to offer up $300 for it. Or he/she can put one barrel on the frame, sell the gun, and sell the remaining barrel/shroud sets on eBay.

You're forgetting the "sunshine tax" for living in California. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't just get one on gunbroker, since it's not on the CA approved list. If it's truly new in box, I don't think that's unreasonable FOR THE RIGHT PERSON. It sounds like you're looking for a deal on a shooter, rather than a pristine example. This is likely the only one you'll have a chance to buy, in this condition. So maybe you aren't the right guy for this one. You can wait for the next one, if it ever comes around.

I have two, one in stainless and one in blue, and they're great pistols. $900? I probably wouldn't pay that for a blued one, but for stainless? It would depend.

One thing you might want to do is just look around for one without the accessories or extra barrels. I bought one like this for $225, in 98% condition. Then buy the barrels you want later.

-John

The stainless steel Dan Wesson .357 magnum, called model 715, is valued to $500-$700 according to a thick gun book that I looked in at the book store. The blued, model 15, was valued to $300-$500. That was for a gun with a barrel, not a full multi barrel pack, I assume. I recently bought a model 715 with a 2.5" barrel for $515 in very good to excellent condition. It's worth it. It's a beast. The Dan Wesson factory still produces extra barrels for those who want them. Contact them.

I bought a blued 6" Dan Wesson Model 15-2VH long ago. It remains the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. Over time I have heard that timing issues can develop with the Dan Wessons. How can you look for this on a used one? I have to admit that occasionally it would spit back at you when you fired it.

I unfortunately sold mine awhile ago. Paid $251 when I bought it new in 1981 or so.

Dan Wesson

Several years ago a shooter at our local indoor range put a Model 15 Dan Wesson for sale on Consignment. It had frame and barrels. He wanted $300.
After 5 months there were no takers.

Dan Wesson (New Poster)

FYI: In 1978 the DW pistol Pac 15-2VH sold for $620.05. I have the original price list. As I traveled around the world I hardly ever had the chance to shoot it. In the past three years I have retired and been shooting the h...l out of it. Lovely accuracy with the 6 " barrel. I started looking for parts from CZ who now owns the DW rights and with Numrich arms. A used cylinder (357) now sells for about $55. Check E-bay to see how much parts are selling for. I agree that $900 for NIB in 2001 was high but not any more.

Last edited:
Looking For

I've seen these online for about $950, does anyone know where to find one for less? I'm looking for the entire pack, preferably vented.

Guys i have one of theses it is NIB. Case 4 barrels 2.5, 4,6,8 all tools, belt buckle barrels still wrapped, sight blades even have the keys to the case tag still on case.says Dan Wesson Arms Revolver MOD 15-2V 38/357 MAG CTG. Interchangeable Barrel Bright Blue Finish Vent Rib. There is a very faint ring mark from someone rolling it.It is collecter quality.I will let someone have a chance to give it a new home been in the safe a long long time.

Feeler gauge

From my understanding of the DW's is that not everyone used the feeler gauge when switching out the barrels....thus this resulted in the "top strap" being cut by the gases escaping from the cylinder when fired (to big a gap) so this ruined many DW's ....The fellow that owned mine never removed the barrel,(he had no extra barrels).....so my top starp is fine ....just something to watch out for....BB34

factory engraving?

I have a pistol pac in stainless and it's engraved - does anyone know if the pac came factory engraved or was it more likely a custom job? I got it from my dad - don't know the backstory.

A lot of bad advice

I find, that as a new member, a lot of the genious, rocket scientist senior members through out a lot of bad advice. The pacs seem to sell, on a regular basis for well over the $500 mark. A good set of grips draw between $45 and $100. The barrels and shrouds, in decent condition, pull down between $85 and $250 depending on length and finish. The DW IS starting to come into its own. Not highly collectable, yet, but a strong and faithful following (I have 12). Inexpensive, yet strong and reliable. A little hard to find a smith dedicated to the cause, but they are out there. Four Mag-na-Port ported barrels, action job, reblued, and a good walnut grip - I'd put it up against any of my S&W Model 29s (of which I have 4) or one of my 6 Pythons (I know they're different calibers). Just a good, fun, all around shooter.

Luv'em or hate'em. There here to stay!!

I like what I'm reading here.

I'm in the market for a .44 pistol pack Dan Wesson kit and I think I better act while the gettin's good.

I can't see why they are so cheap but ..uh..gee whiz that's ashame.:D

Something to be aware of - some of the DW guns from the middle 80s up through the late 80s had issues with the cylinders - either from out of tolerance tooling/machining and/or inconsistent alloys that the cylinders were made from. My 15-2VH6 purchased in 1986 has had a variety of issues with the cylinder - even a factory replaced cylinder back in the day was faulty as well. The only problem is you won't know its bad until you fire the gun a few times - the spent cartridges won't want to eject and you'll end up having to pull them out with your fingers or a pair of pliers (been there, done that).

I still have my DW and won't ever get rid of it. I did finally get the cylinder issues resolved with the help of a local gunsmith who worked wonders with it. It is by far the most accurate and comfortable to shoot .357 Magnum I've ever shot "out of the box". With the addition of the Pachmayr grips and a Millett fully adjustable rear sight, you just can't beat it.

PK,
I bought a dan Wesson pistolPack back in the early to mid 80's. It was the Dan Wesson pistol pack model 15-2vh if I recall correctly. It consisted of the gun, a 2", 4", 6", and 8" barrel, two grips, target and combat, a carrying case, tools, including a thickness gauge for gapping barrel/cyclinder fit, a belt buckle,and patch, along with all booklets and instructions.
The price through SHOTGUN NEWS at that time was $375.00 less shipping and FFL receiving fees.
What I thought at that time and still now was a GREAT buy.
I still have the entire package and wouldn't consider taking even $1800.00 for it (which was offered once a chunk of years back.)
The value is whatever you are wiling to give for it and how bad you want it.
A time or two in the past I have given more than what the fair price should have been for an item, but I really wanted the item at the time and do not regret for a second spending the extra cash.
So,all though the $900 sounds too high to you, it will ultimately rest on how badly you want the item and how willing the seller is to bend on his price.
My theory on selling guns is that if I don't get what I want for them, I keep them.
Once I've bought them, they don't cost me a penny to keep. Since they don't need to be fed or watered, and I don't have to rent them an apartment, it costs me nothing to keep them. Although I HAVE refretted selling a gun or two. I have never regretted keeping one.
Just decide how much you want the item and go from there.
My Dan Wesson earned me an "EXPERT" award for pistol marksmanship in the Navy right out of the case without ever touching the sights.
It still shoots circles around my buddies Colt Python.(of course that's when HE'S shooting it.)
On this matter follow what your heart tells you, and pay what you think is fair.
If there are as many pistol packs out there available for as little as everybody is saying here, I may look for another one myself.
Good luck.

I need to start watching the used gun cases.:D

$350 pistol packs!

Uh,really,they're just awful handguns.

Really,really awful.

But I feel generous today and I will give you $250 for your mint condition 44 mag pistol kit,in the original case,in stainless with a selection of grips and ten boxes of ammo..:D

O.k,$260 then.:D

Trust me,I ...I mean you will feel better when you sell me that Dan Wesson pistol kit.

260 whole dollars!

Have him look on the side of the gun and tell you where it was manufactured. Don't tell him why, just ask. If the gun was manufactured in Monson, Mass and if the stampings on the Barrel shrouds all match for date and location of manufacture, then it just may well be worth the $900.00 NIB (unfired) he's asking.

I've had and have several Dan Wesson revolvers over the years and all but one of them were excellent. That one was Manufactured in the Palmer plant. I currently only own Monson guns and they are the most accurate and smooth shooting revolvers I've ever seen, hands down. I used to compete in Long Range Pistol Metallic Target shooting and the only people still on the line when it got out to 300 yards where those shooting contenders and Dan Wesson's. 25 years later I can still ding the 300 yard gone 5 out of 6 shots at my range. :D It's how I make extra money from the Techno newbies... LOL

While it still may not be worth $900.00 to you, It will be to someone else and unless he gets desperate for the money he'll probably sit on it till he gets what he wants for it. Have you asked him if he's interested in a trade? I have in the past gotten something I wanted by trading something I wasn't particularly attached to..

I have two Dan Wessons-- one .357 model 15 with interchangeable barrels made in Monson, MA; one .44 mag model blued with a 4" fixed barrel made in Palmer, MA (less generally desirable due to the Palmer origin, but one of the few fixed barreled ones made; I believe another poster here as one as well). I have heard some unpleasant stories about the Palmer revolvers and observed one that had uneven grinds, but the one I have is truly outstanding. I'd say that with the Palmer made revolvers just pick it up and do the checks to be sure everything is as it should be. They are generally very well made handguns, and I think that quality control was lacking at the Palmer plant as they were attempting to make some money to revive the business after the move and allowing some product to go out that should've been re-done. Everything involving machinery will have a lemon now and then, but it's up to the manufacturer to catch it before it goes out.

My brother bought a pistol pack of .357 model 15 in the early 80's and I've been hooked since. We shot it side by side the S&W 686 pre-dash (great gun and I still kick myself for selling it) I had at the time, and while the trigger wasn't quite as good on the Dan Wesson, the grouping was better with it for both of us. You couldn't have seen two more surprised shooters at the time.

It appears the secret that many revolver fans have known about for some time is getting out (again, as many shooters knew in the late 70's that shot target and silhouette), and with the scarcity of the remaining revolvers left, I don't see many great bargains languishing as they did in the past.

Back