Dan Wesson Pistol Pack

PKAY

I have an opportunity to evaluate a Dan Wesson Pistol Pack, Model 15, NIB, never fired, 4 barrels (VH, vent rib - heavy underlug), case, tools, grips, decal, belt buckle, etc. Caliber for the 15 is .357 mag. The gun was purchased in the early 80's. The owner is asking $900! I think, while a great find, the price is way high. From what I've been able to glean from various sources, a fair price for this package should be in the $500-$550 range. What do you guys think?

Talk to the company itself! http://www.dan-wesson.com

Bear in mind that the new Dan Wesson company is NOT the one that made that revovler, but on the website, they say the design itself has changed little and most of the parts should be interechangable.

FWIW, a NEW pistol pack will run you about $1200 to $1400, depending, I think.

Thanks, Nightcrawler. I did see those current prices for new manufacture. However, both the Blue Book of Gun Values (21st Ed.) and the gun dealer pricing on GunsAmerica.com do not conform for Pistol Packs manufactured in the 1980's. Compared to those scenarios, that $900 stands out like a sore thumb.

Dan's is for shootin, and accumulatin, not collectin.

Dan Wessons are tremendous revolvers, I own several and put them up against any manufacturer's offerings in terms of accuracy, strength and reliability. DW revolvers never developed a huge following with the exception of the IHMSA competitors and as such the prices for used Dan Wessons are typically low making them in my opinion real bargains. The lower prices asked for used DW's is in no way indicative of quality, just low demand. Most shooters when they finally cave and buy a Dan are hooked for life.

Now in reference to your question, while the seller may sincerely believe the Model 15 Pistol Pack to be worth $900, the sad truth is your $550 number is closer to the target. Now if that was a Model 44 or 744 Pistol Pack $900 might be a realistic price.

Hope you and the seller can come to an agreement as you'll love that Dan.
Take Care

PKAY,

If life were fair, the Pistol Pac would have held it's resale value better. Unfortunately (for sellers) they just don't seem to be able to.

$900 is high. That Pac, with the heavy vent shrouds, would have retailed for about $700 back in the '80's.

The current Blue Book lists a model 15 pistol pac in 100% condition for $500, plus a $214 bump for the heavy vent configuration.

Good Luck...

Joe

dan wesson

p-kay ,a close freind of mine just purchased a used dan wesson pistol pack ,it included 4 barrels,case, tools, it is in very good condition,he bought it at a large gun shoppe that never gives anything away and he paid 300dollars even .by the way, his is a early manufacture .357 blued

Thanks for your posts, guys. Keep 'em comin'. You are the voices of sanity here. I have been very up front with the seller about my research and the market price range he can expect for his Pistol Pack. But he is emotionally attached to this pristine NIB purchase he made 21 years ago. I can understand his attachment, but I'm afraid he is in for a dose of reality when it comes to early manufacture vs. real-time manufacture out of New York. I'm afraid he saw what new manufacture Pistol Packs were going for retail on the Dan Wesson web site, equated his with that and thought he was sacrificing in pricing his at $900+. Who knows, maybe he'll change his mind. He's got my email and phone number.

I can't help but wonder if that early manufacture NIB Pistol Pack might appreciate later if Dan Wessons ever become a popular collectible.

Dan Wesson revolvers,,ahh the bittersweet. Tough as nails, well made, a design that was in a class all by itself. With one frame, you can/could go from a snub nose to a loooooong barrel hunter without too much trouble. Accuracy is nothing short of outstanding. The trigger, while not in the same class as a Smith or Colt is very good to excellent once you get a feel for it. I owned one in .22 LR, and my brother in law owned one in .357 Magnum. I paid somewhere around $140.00 for mine new (one barrel, not the Pistol Pak) in the 70's or early 80's.

With all that going for it, and as well as it shot, I would recommend staying as far away from one as you can unless you are a true fan of the DW and plan on keeping it forever. I think a used Yugo has a better resale value.:( Swamp Yankee nailed it right on the head. The DW's are for shooting and keeping. Even in 98% condition, the best offer I had on mine was an even trade for a beat to crud Charter Arms .38 Special. I ended up gifting mine to a friend that appreciated it more than I did.

Home Made Pistol Pack

Several years ago a friend of mine had a Dan Wesson Model 15 set[Pistol Pack without the case] he was trying to sell for $350. He had no takers after 3 months at on consignment at a gun shop.

ive never been crazy about multibarreled or multie caliber guns.id rather have completetly different revolvers than one with 4 different barrels.

DW mod 15

I just bought one with for $ 375 including shipping, so it was about $350 really. With a case, 3 barrels (2, 4 and 6 inches with tools). but only one wood grip. Gun in very good condition, obviously it has not been fired a lot. The blueing is close to perfect.

I agree with the guys who say that the resale value is mediocre, even though these guns have an excellent and well-deserved rep. The FFL I bought it from had been sitting on it for quite a while and although the piece had advertised on GunsAmerica for weeks, it looks like I was the only taker. But I knew why I wanted it... Consider also that you could get a Taurus 608 for about the same price so I'd say that the resale price is not excessively low, considering... But these guns just don't sell well, even when advertised at a fair price. In your case, the seller obviously takes his wishes for reality...

If you're looking for a shooter, that'd be it. The more I handle it, the more I like it. These are beautifully made and finished pieces, and the trigger is really, really nice. I don't know if a smith worked on mine but I was surprised it's so crisp and the pull is great. A bit muzzle-heavy with the 6" barrel, perfect balance with the 4-incher. The original docs that came with the gun indicates that DW used to sell these as "target pistols" and I can see why.

For a complete pistol pack as you describe it, I think that $450-500 might be a fair price. For $ 900, don't bother: just turn around and buy a new piece from DW Firearms: they are gorgeous guns.

My 2 cents...

PS5

Dan Wesson 15 blued vs 715 stainless pistol packs

After reading the various inputs, all references seem to be regarding the blued version Pistol Pack 15. What price difference would there be for a stainless steel vent heavy, 2,4,6,8 inch, 2 DW wood grips, Pachmayr grip, guncase, DW belt buckle and Dw patch. Oh yes, it has been recreationally fired, but it is in excellent condition.

I took mine to Gander Mountain, to see what I could get for it as a trade.

Stainless Pistol Pak, VH, 2 DW wood grips, Pachmayr grip, 2 wrenches......

$250-$275 was their offer. The guy at the counter said I could do better somewhere else. Maybe in a private sale I would expect to get $400.

As for $900!!!!!!! That guy just doesn't want to sell his.

Start with the shrouds. If all of the shroads has the same marks then you most likely have a original Pistol Pack (with the hard Case). I have a "pistol pack" like set. I say like because I have three differant generations of barrel shrouds:

42f9.jpg

You can generaly find a complete pistol pack on line for the $900ish price range. The case being included is part of it being complete. If all of the shrouds have the same markings and you have the case go with the higher price.

That said localy you will probably find Dan Wesson's for less the you will on the Web. It is very hard to find a source for Dan Wesson values that is current and includes all of the older models. Most of this thread is from 2001.

Good luck,

Desert01
Moderator:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/danwesson/

One just sold at Williams Gunsight for less than $600 Brand new never fired (other than test fire) complete pistol pack. I traded a very mint .357 with a 8 inch barrel for $200 credit a couple months ago.

As a DW fan I have to agree that these revolvers don't have much resale value but once you get one you will not want to sell it. I have had my Model
12 since 1975 and my Model 15 since 1979 and I now have a 44 Magnum on
layaway.

Never owned one of the model 15s. Mine are all 44 or 744 models. I even have a couple of fixed barrel models (quite rare). I have not paid more than 400 for any one of them and usually in the neighborhood of 300-350 even with multiple barrels. LOVE to shoot them!!! Good triggers and rediculously accurate. Even the fixed barrel ones are chewing out one hole groups out to about 50 yards (I really don't shoot a handgun farther than that).

Cannot speak to the price of the .357s but gotta LOVE them big bores.:D

Back