Curious about the evolution of safety rules

Agreed.

Disagree. The word "treat" was not added, it was in the "original" wording that I learned, and I feel that "treat as if" are important words, and should be in the rule as they were for generations before the modern "short form" became popular. SO, I guess our opinions about what is and is not needed are going to differ.

Words matter, but so does context. The word "treat" was absolutely added to Nottingham's 1st rule by many who used his rules. It is in his explanatory text. I don't care what you learned or did not learn, my discussion was based on Nottingham's rules, which is obvious from the context of my posts in this thread.

Re, rule one. Set aside how its worded for a minute.

We all know the concept. Alot of it comes down to the quality of the teaching and making sure the intent is understood.

What I care about is, if youve checked your gun that its unloaded, does that mean your free to treat it so? I hope not...

Re, rule one. Set aside how its worded for a minute.

We all know the concept. Alot of it comes down to the quality of the teaching and making sure the intent is understood.

What I care about is, if youve checked your gun that its unloaded, does that mean your free to treat it so? I hope not...

You get it. :)

@MarkCO Thank you and good to know about Nottinghams original source.
Ive always just called it Coopers version but never could find the source...

He started teaching them in the late 1960s. I don't know, and neither did he, the first time he wrote them out for sure.

This sort of makes sense to me - I would have gone through my first firearm safety course in the early 60s, and I only learned the 3 that I mentioned in the OP.

He started teaching them in the late 1960s. I don't know, and neither did he, the first time he wrote them out for sure.

Thank you for that information. I believe that the phrasing "Treat ..as if it were loaded.." was in the NRA rules long before then.

Since the title of the tread is asking about the evolution of safety rules, I think that the rules before Nottingham's, and since. are valid topics.

All those lovely rules are excellent to keep one safe,Remember the K.I.S.S. PRINCIPLE ,the simpler rules are the easier you remember them and don’t get burdened in words
As far as keeping firearms and ammunition locked up seperately until use that sounds a bit UK inspired and totally useless in a home defense situation ,even if it’s the chickens or horses your defending.It will however keep lawbreakers safer.
Never heard of Nottinghams Rules,except the one that said hunting the Kings deer will get you killed or in a dungeon,possibly drawn and quartered or in the stocks.etc.etc. And so on,No firearms were mentioned only longbows ,crossbows and spears.

Last edited:
Mike, those were the safety rules I was taught in the '70s. Rule #3 was changed sometime ago by the NRA to be:

Keep your firearm unloaded until ready to use.

I still like the original rule b/c you are responsible for where that bullet goes.

BTW, read a couple of WW II books recently and there was no shortage of fireams accidents in WW II. Cleaning a loaded gun tends to result in accidents and one involved a medic (armed medics in US Army were a rarity b/c generally medics weren't supposed to carry firearms).

Back