Coyote ugly

hmm... What do I think would be the best caliber for the job?...

The biggest gun you got, Plain and simple. Don't worry about using small calibers or rimfires for coyote, if you have a 30-30 use it! Overkill does not exist for an animal you dont intend to eat or skin, so don't be afraid to blow them to pieces. If it were me, I would use my 30-06 or Mosin Nagant loaded with 200 grain softpoints.

It would be better you use a cannon and annoy the hell out of your neighbors than use a 22lr and watch as the animal runs away after being hit.

.308 hollows them out pretty well with a ballistic tip or triple shock. The one from the triple shock looked like something big had bitten it's side off.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htmThis is a good site for coyote hunting you might want to check it out and it has coyote attack storys.

I would say for shots less than 100yds use a 30/30 any thing pass that I would use a .223 or a .243 if I was going to buy a gun for coyote only I would get a .243 it will work out to several hundred yards or you could just use a your deer rifle if you don't want to buy a gun just for coyote.

Old Shooter, . . . my uncle in Kentucky had your problem years ago, but not coyotes, . . . dogs: feral, nasty, ugly critters that killed his stock and his chickens.

He had a 30-30, an 8mm and a 7mm and a bunch of others. But finally, he found the one that did the trick best: 10 ga single shot shotgun. I bought him the 00 buck shells for it and he did a great job. He took em down out to 100 yards with that cannon, . . . and more than once, . . . got two with the same shell.

I have no idea of the holdover he would use at that distance, . . . but it was effective. He'd just laugh and say he used some Kentucky windage on em.

He got to where the 10 ga got to be too much for him with the recoil and all, and he dropped down to a 12 ga but stayed with the 00 buck. I'm not certain, but I wouldn't doubt that feral dogs still stay off his farm and he's been dead for several years:D

May God bless,
Dwight

A friend of mine has been usin' the 22-250 for the 'yotes out here in Wisconsin, on his own land. Longest shot he has to take is about 250yds unless he goes to the hill behind his house - then its a tad bit longer. Works great at all ranges according to my buddy.

I know I'll get flamed for this

This is pretty cruel, but I heard it's effective. Someone told me a great way to decrease coyote numbers is to bait them with a piece of meat on a fishing hook chained to a tree (using aircraft cable). I can't imagine ever doing that myself, and could see it being highly frowned upon by the dept of conservation & other police agencies and could probably land you in trouble BIG time, the kind that involves handcuffs and iron bars and legal bills and a record, but hey, just spreading the knowledge...

But that's the beauty of this country - the knowledge should not be stifled, but the action should be discouraged. To keep the knowledge is to censor

7mm Rem Mag?

All have at this point in time is a rifle chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. We have a coyote problem where I'm from....just wondering would this be overkill?

I use a 25-06 with 100 gr Ballistic Tips at 3300 fps. I shot one at an honest 500 yards and he didn't move another inch. Of course, there wasn't much left of the hide either.

I've got a newly built .270 Ackley Improved that I would really like to try out next.:eek:

For shots under 200 yards, though, my Mini-14 dispatches them quite nicely.

if you want to get really nasty go wit the .243 with a 55 grn winchester silver ballistic tip shot coytoes every week wit this one and it gets down right nasty but the .17 hmr witt also do the trick

Not sure that I trust a rimfire to do the job. It's be better to be sure, and hit with something with a little more energy.

Like someone said above, the buzzards won't care if its a mess.

m

Has anybody ever heard of coyote predation on a healthy, adult human?
Nope, and I've lived around 'em all my life. A rabies crazed skunk is a lot more dangerous to people, but rabies crazed skunks don't tend to eat sheep.:D

17 is not to small

The 17 is a sreamer.But there're cheaper guns out there.Any rifle that gets out there.22LR will kill it in time.If you want it to at least drop for ya, .17,222,223,or anything bigger,Go git'em.I have dropped one with a 12ga. 1 once rifled slug.

Back