Coyote Cartridge

You are going to have a pocket full of calls. Deer calls, elk calls thoses bleet cans and mouse squeekers even a crow call but do not forget about the two coin trick....serriated coin and a smooth coin.

I'm going to suggest you take your AR. I use mine for yotes but keep it loaded with 69gr soft points in case I see a deer instead. Works like a charm on any shot that's iron sight distance away, no optic so I can't comment on accuracy past 250yd or so.

Stick with the AR and you will have a quick fallow up shot. Put a 3-9 Nikon on it. Get one of the steel tube 2 piece folding stools with a strap and pouch underneath. I use a $12.00 telescopic monopod I picked up at K-Marts. It works well. :rolleyes:
Now if you want to spend some more money. All you need to do is Get a Rem. 700 in 243 , a good Lupold 4-14 scope, good sling. pop-up blind or snow camo, stool, Midway has a good variety of call's and a deep pocket.

Thanks for the tips guys I will for sure look for a decent scope to throw on the Ar and I will also be looking into a light seat to take with me. I also have one more question should I reload my ammo or just buy it.

223 here also. 22-250 ( IMHO) is a wasted caliber. I got one,just not sure why I did. Depending on your twist the 223 will shoot a heavier bullet,more accurate and with little loss in speed. I would question the Deer aspect of a 223 but for Coyotes. Have at it

Longshot: Get one of the steel tube 2 piece folding stools with a strap and pouch underneath. I use a $12.00 telescopic monopod I picked up at K-Marts. It works well.

Now if you want to spend some more money. All you need to do is Get a Rem. 700 in 243 , a good Lupold 4-14 scope, good sling. pop-up blind or snow camo, stool, Midway has a good variety of call's and a deep pocket.

This guy has pretty much what I use. Last July, with my new Rem 700 SS Light Varmint in .223, I got three young dogs (in about 10 minutes) as they were eating blueberries along the edge of some saplings about 100 yards away.

After the first shot, the other two ran back to cover, but came back to eat, then after the second, the third did the same thing and got the same fate. I never saw more than about a 4" diameter clear shot on the last two.

I would consider the .257 Wby magnum and the 26 in barrel.
Wisconsin is pretty open and level ground, from what I've seen.
Four or five hundred yard shots might be ordinary.
You can hunt deer with it too but close in the bullets like to explode and create a lot of meat damage.
You can buy Wby cartridges loaded with different premium bullets.
No it is not as cheap as .22-250.
That will work too.
Four and five hundred yard shots I would go with the .257 and .270 Wby.
Just my preference.
Lots of good rounds out there.

Maybe our yotes behave differently from your yotes. The ones around here never get still. They will not go to bait in the daytime. No way I am shooting at a moving target at 500 yards or a still target at 500 in the dark.

I would say that it probably depends on the region or the individual coyote's behavior...

My experience has been mostly dispatching problem coyotes...
They have learned to ignore some danger signs and go for the free lunch... The same thing happens to urban coyotes but in a more extreme amount...

They are opportunistic and almost omnivorous... Some learn that housecat, chickens and baby goat liver is a much better meal than cow patty and malnourished rodents...

So, if none come closer than 500 yards than they probably have no reason to take a chance, or they've discovered your presence before the hunt started....

I have had tremendous luck scouting the area in advance and find their regular route. Then on a evening when the wind is in my favor I just set up and wait. I would guess that more than half of my coyote kills, I never even called them...

High wind can go both ways;
Sometimes they chance it and go out anyway. They can't hear as good in high wind or smell as well. Many coyotes will wait until favorable conditions. A hungry coyote May chance it, but they are more wary and cautious because some of their senses are muted by the wind...

The areas I used, the terrain and vegetation prohibited long shots

The number of coyotes that you will kill at four or five hundred yards will pretty much fit in your back pocket. I've called and killed many (a few hundred) of them, and only a few beyond 200 yards. Most were less than a hundred, and lots of them were with the shotgun at less than fifty.

Where you sit, (or lay) and how you approach that spot is WAAYYY more important than what rifle you use. If you want to sit up and see for 500 yards to spot them -- well, lets just say that they can see about three times better than you.

Depending on the lay of the land, we often purposely sit in a spot where we can't see more than a hundred yards. That way when they pop into view, they are in range. Our favorite method with two shooters is to sit back to back, leaning on each other. I can almost always pick the spot or direction where they will appear, and the primary shooter sits with that as his most comfortable angle. Caller faces away, covering less likely areas.

I love my 222, and 218 Bee. Seldom any damage that I can't live with. Wisconsin Coyotes bring pretty good money, and it would be a shame to destroy them. jd

22-250 or 223, personally I say a 223 because the ammo is cheaper and easier to find but it depends both will work. The 22-250 is a flat shooting bullet but the 223 I think is overall better for coyote.

I've shot Eastern coyotes with .223, .22-250, .243, .270, and 30-06. They all kill quite well.

Some make it harder to use the pelts afterwards, but I don't care. I give corpses to a neighbor and they take what they can get.

I got a pair of coyotes a few days ago with a 17WSM rime fire. The gun was not mine but a friend said he wanted to know how it would do. The first was shot at 160 yards the second was about 120.

I would have to vote 22-250. It isn't the most versatile caliber out there, but its accuracy is superb and it is lightning fast. The biggest thing it excels at is putting down coyotes.

Hey CCCLVII thanks for the input I thought the 17 WSM would be to small to use on coyotes. Did the 17 drop the coyotes on the spot or did they run a little distance. I had looked at a 17 HMR at first and dismissed it because I thought the bullet was to small and the coyotes would run a ways before they would die and I dont like to track anything for more than 75 yds if I can help it. Would the 17 HMR get the same performance out 150 yds and what would be the max effective range on a 17 WSM and 17 HMR. The only reason I ask about the 17 HMR is because the ammo is more available in my area over the 17 WSM. Thanks

Coyotes are on the frail end of the animal kingdom as far as hunting goes....

Any hit between any two of the four legs will bring them down..
So will any head or neck shots.

I've never used .17 but I know many that have...

Any caliber that you can shoot minute of coyote will work.

I've never hit one that lived

I have missed a few... A missed coyote is an educated coyote after that

A guy I used to shoot with, used a AR-15 to dispatch coyotes. One afternoon he had three in his backyard creating havoc. He ran out the backdoor with a quickness and with an AR and most likely FMJ rounds he killed them.

The 17WSM dropped the Coyotes right where they stood but I have to admit that the longer one was hit in the head so it would have been lights out even with a sling shot in that spot.

Last edited:
Back