Coyote Cartridge

I guess I should have added that I am wanting to keep the pelts in as good as shape as possible.

I'm thinking the above and this:

I hunt them with 7WSM using 150 Ballistic tips.

are incompatible statements.

The least pelt damage? A leg hold trap, a catch-pole and a T-ball bat.

If you use .22lr out of a pistol, you won't need the catch-pole and bat, but the pelt will have a hole in it.

I would probably use a 5.56 AR15 with a 5-20ish BDC scope. It would be like taking candy from a baby out to 300 and decent out to 600 depending on wind.

The key is to build a coyote gun with 20" custom barrel, PRS stock, good mount and good optic with BDC like Nikon Monarch 3 or better.

It don't take much of a cartridge to down a yote at reasonable yardage. For a new yote bushwhacker. 204 is a excellent cartridge for the purpose.

I've shot them mutts with obsolete calibers {22 High Power.} 22 Mag 223 243 right up to my using of a 270 Win on those flee bag infested things. If your close enough even a 22 LR in the right hands can knock them mangy dogs down. My purpose of shooting one was to help clear the area. I never considered saving their hides. (ISH!!)
My donated effort was strictly to help save a fawn or two. My motto: Where they lay is where they stay.

223, with good 4-16 scope, is all you need for coyotes. I'm real fond of my Ruger Hawkeye stainless. No worries about mud, dust, water, peanut butter, unless you get the peanut butter on the scope glass.

And, I like the tiny Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tip for coyotes. Seems to blow up inside them and not cause a big messy exit, or at least that's what I've seen so far.

If your shooting is going to include pigs, I'd move up to the 243.

Most guys who guide coyote hunters suggest an AR chambered in 5.56/223. Often with multiple hunters one will also use a shotgun and the other the AR. Multiple shots at close range are the norm when using a call.

Nothing wrong with any of the other options. The 243 is more versatile in that it is also a darn good deer round. The 22/250 offers a bit more range and the 204 certainly works too. But any advantage they hold over the 223 is offset by its versatility and low cost

Most real fur hunters use center fire .17s and 204s. The 22 hornet and the 223 work great with proper loads. My personal favorite is the .222 hands down. Head over to the predator masters forums you shall be enlightened. A 243 will blow a huge hole in wiley coyote :D as will a 22-250. Use those and you will be doing some sewing :)

I would say probably the most prolific is 223. a lot also favor the 204 ruger. personally, I think anything that can reach out 300 yards is a good coyote cartridge. I don't tan hides or anything so it doesn't matter to me if I explode a little fur.

I wonder how a quick-twist .22 Hornet or .218 Bee with 55 grain FMJs might work. Might limit your range a little, but should be nice to the pelts.

If you are wanting a new double duty rifle then the .243 would fill that niche nicely. If you want a new coyote rifle, well nothing wrong with that either. If cost is a problem and you already have the AR, scope it, sight it in, and buy an electronic call and hit the woods. The .223 will kill coyotes nicely, and most that come to calls are not long range shots, and the rapid re-acquisition and shoot again characteristics of the AR can be might handy at times. Who am I to judge though, I have a .22 Mag, .22 Hornet, 2 .223's, and a .22-250. :D

Yes, exactly. Red swirly vapor tornados are not uncommon, particularly with the 100 grain Sierra Game King bullet. The 100 grain Hornady is not quite as gruesome. I have a 7mm WSM. I can't imagine the mess that would make. You could probably pick up the hair and use it to mix plaster. That's about all that the remains would be good for.

The last few I shot with the 7 WSM were practically cut in half. Just a bit of spine and skin left holding them together. It really surprised me the amount of damage it did. Tears up a yote much more than it tears up a whitetail.

A 12 gauge with #4 buckshot works great and is easy on fur. Shotgunning them is a lot of fun, my 12 Ga is my go to predator thumper.

I totally agree i like the federal premium copper plated 3 inch shells out of a full choke. I have a extra full choke im gonna try, curious to see what my pattern will be like. Maybe i can extend my range 10 yards or so.

I had never owned a hunting shotgun, but if I did, it would have served me well. Most of my coyote kills were surprisingly short range...

I took one at 100 one night, (the longest I've taken) she was coming in to investigate the first gunshot of a coyote I had shot a few minutes before...

That reminds me to say always wait a few minutes after shooting one before retrieving it, just incase another shows

I have decide to use my Ar but I do not have a scope on it so do any of you guys have a good recommendation for a good scope to put on my AR that is $200 and under that would work well on coyotes. I am also just wondering what is the average shot put on coyotes when using calls and have any of you used the foxpro Wildfire and would it be a good starter call.

All of my shots have been less than 100yds

3-9x40 has served me well, but have rarely turned up the magnification.... Can be had for less than 200$... There are some naysayers but Nikon and bushnell can be had that work

My best calls have been open reed type... Coyotes adapt to the closed reed type in my experience... Never much luck with e-callers but some hunters do well...

Mind the wind and find their normal path of travel

I might add that a seat that:
1. Supports the back
2. Lightweight
3. Easy to pack and set up quickly without a bunch of noise

Would be very useful... I never had one, but many times I wish I did

If you want a quick little seat which may not be the most comfortable for hours on end Frabill/Plano makes one for ice fishing that I use. It packs up tight and has a backrest. But it's only 3 legged. I use mine for fishing all the time because it packs up tight.

41NP3ZGSb7L.jpg

heavy dude

Hey 'Stitch,

Would that seat hold/hold up a coyote hunter that weighed about 260 lbs?

I'm in the market for a portable stool/seat, mostly for turkey blind.

Back