Country of Origin - effect when buying a handgun?

I had a job in American manufacturing ,it is now being done by a slave laborer in China.

I buy American every chance I can

I'm still in the single digits but they're all USA made. I try to avoid Chinese made products. Nothing against Chinese people, though. Good people are good people regardless of where they come from. I just don't think the country of China will be America's friend if the profitability of the trade relationship goes sour for them. About the patriotic aspect mentioned in the OP: My Father was a veteran of the Pacific war flying the B-29 Superfortress missions over Japan. When I was in elementary school there were a lot of cheap imported products coming from Japan. My Father said we should always try to buy American products as it weakened our country to buy imported stuff. I was a matter of patriotism to him and I think he was right.

There are some Chinese guns that I'd purchase because they are from China:

Polytech AK (stamped and milled) and M14s barreled action (or complete)

Country of Origin - effect when buying a handgun?
Is all the "China", and "Commie" talk even relevant to this discussion?
While there may be numerious Chinese made surplus firearms in the market, how many newly manufactured Chinese handguns are being sold?

None here in the United State, for political reasons.
E'zackly my point. "I don't buy dem Commie guns" isn't even a part of this discusdion.
But I do have several of them that are C&R milsurps, and have some interesting designs, and history.

While there may be numerious Chinese made surplus firearms in the market, how many newly manufactured Chinese handguns are being sold?

Until Billy Boy put the restrictions on Chinese stuff, there were a lot of newly made Chinese guns on the U.S. market. To wit: Norinco 1911; Tokarevs, Winchester 97 copies, Remington 870 copies, etc., to name a few.

There are still newly made Chinese made guns available in Canada such as CZ 75 copies, Colt Woodsman copies, etc. Of course, we can't have them, because of that embargo on Chinese guns.:mad:

Did see lots of interesting Norinco products I didn't know existed in the Philippines, though.

I think quality is the most important. I like Belgium made Browning, but I was surprised few times. When Browning moved production to Japan, made in Belgium prices went up overnight. So just for the fun of it, I stopped to see the made in Japan "junk", (BLR .308), it was so nicely made I bought on the spot, still have it.
I think the Japanese flooded the American market with cheep stuff, because the shoppers demanded it. I'm surprised many times, here on this forum too, that I/you should buy this or that, because cheaper. So factories are making whatever the demand is for.
Quality depends on many things.

Japan still has the stigma that us older guys remember: The cheap stamped tin products of post WWII Japan. As a kid we referred to these items as "Japanese junk," and to this day the memories of that stigma still remain.

Today, however, Japanese guns are first class.

To be honest, if you look at an early Type 14 pistol, you will see that the workmanship (NOT the design) is every bit as good as contemporary European workmanship. It was only when the strains of waging a war necessitated faster production of arms did the quality go down, but the same can be said of American arms produced during the war.

I hardly ever think about it. I suppose I've mostly owned American made guns, but I have owned them from Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, China, Yugoslavia, Russia, Austria, Croatia, and probably some places I can't think of off the top of my head.

Oh...I remember another one. I had a "Unique" (that was the brand name) 22 semi-auto made in France in the post war years. Excellent little gun. As well made as any other gun I've ever owned. Fun little shooter. Sold it to a fellow who wanted it more than I did.

Hmm

To me country of origin is extremely important. I absolutely will not own a gun made in china, Pakistan, Korea, or really any of the Asian countries. Each country to me has its own spot in my mind for level of quality in products produced. For me it would go something like this, top quality up top, lower quality at bottom

Switzerland (owned a k31)
Germany (own a Walther ppq, plus they are renowned for their quality from mausers to H&Ks)
Belgium (fn fals, hi powers)
Austria (original glocks, and steyrs)
Czech republic (czs are great)
USA (Dan wessons, older S&W's, ww2 era rifles, older colts)
Finland (their version of mosins are fine, accurate rifles)
Egypt (fine quality aks, and hakims and rasheeds)
Poland (very nice aks and their pistols are nicely made)
Bulgaria (very nice AKS)
Russia (sometimes crude, but don't ever malfunction, besides all of russias money goes into their military. They are very serious about their military and their weapons. My Russian AK is very high quality for the price paid)
Yugoslavia (pretty nice pistols and rifles, have had a yugo sks)
Romania (their AKs are pretty decent, their pistols (tokarev) is decent as well)
Spain (have heard good things about stars and astras, and bersas are nice)
China (most people have good experiences, I just hate china with a passion)
India (their enfields were ehhh)
Pakistan (junk)

Any country I didn't list I don't have enough knowledge or experience with their guns or weapons to make a judgement. Quality has to do with material used, design, engineering, and manufacturing accuracy. I believe that Germany uses better steel, and generally cares more about quality/accuracy of manufacture than the united States or other similar countries, but you have Holland & Holland in Britain who has been making fine dangerous game and hunting rifles for hundreds of years

Back