Country of Origin - effect when buying a handgun?

simonrichter

I guess even people other than the kind of marketing nerd I am may have heard of the Country of Origin (CoO) - effect. The theory basically stresses the fact that common images of certain countries can be transfered to products manufactured there. E.g., since the French are said to be good cooks, kitchen appliances or even convenience food may sell better if marketed as "made in France" as compared to other potential source countries.

Does that also apply to handguns in your personal opinion? Or is it, in that case, often more a matter of patriotism? In other words, if you have two exactly identical guns in front of you, would you pick say the US or the German made? (an even better example would maybe be the US vs. Austria, which is even a quite likely scenario...)

There is no doubt country of origin matters to me. I am impressed by older Mausers and Walthers that I own and have a high opinion of many other German products. A 100 year old German Luger oozes quality and fine craftsmanship. I also appreciate the efficient design and simplicity of Glocks from your country and own a few. And the FN Hi-Power always has been a favorite of mine.

But I usually buy US made firearms, the design and quality tends to be high. Colt, Ruger, S&W are hard to beat.

As long as it wasn't made in North Korea or Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan or someplace like Somalia, then I'll buy it if it's a gun with a good reputation. I don't much care where it's from.

Quality is what matters..../ but quality inside a weapon is hidden - and based in part on the quality of the steel of the internal parts.../ and the skill they are put together with --- and some US companies use very good parts and have skilled people putting guns together ( like Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Sig Sauer USA, etc ) --- and some, like Kimber, not so much - yet they are all us corporations.

But yes, I am more skeptical of guns made in countries like Turkey or the Phillipines..../ and more accepting in general of guns made in countries like Germany and the US.

I think in general when it comes to guns...if one gun is similar in features to another...and one is significantly less expensive --- you have to ask yourself why...it could be materials, it could be quality of labor - or both...

the countries dont bother me much. its more about the image i have in my head.

AK models remembers of everything evil in africa and the luger and p38 i associate with nazi headshots, just like the fire platoon mausers. i also dislike the walther p5 as it used to be the dutch police gun, and all guns that were stamped with the old dutch queen's name.

other than those i dont have any problems with guns

I enjoy the exotic nature of products from certain countries, as well as the image of quality that goes along with certain countries. I was relieved to find out that my Glock 17 Gen 4 was made in Austria. I'm sure a USA version is just as good, but mentally, I just like that it's Austrian. I perceive Austria, Germany, Italy, France, etc, with (generally) quality and well-engineered products.

That said, I have a USA made Beretta 92FS and it's a very high quality handgun that's now going on 15 years in my possession. I don't believe for a minute that an Italian version is any better. But, even saying that, if I were buying a new one today, I'd probably look for an Italian one just because it's an Italian gun.

There are other country-of-origins that interest me not because of quality, but because of being exotic in some sense. For instance, I'd be interested in a Russian Makarov, but not one of the others, just the Russian ones. Mostly as a relic of the cold war, where Russia was #1 bad guy for us. I've been eyeballing a Romanian Tokarev, which does interest me. I would not want a Chinese one.

Some brands from other countries are renowned for quality.

Think Walther of Germany, H&K to. Think Browning of Belgium.

Glock of Austria to.

Kind of like my Bioculars. Mine are Kahles of Austria. The 8x42s I have are outstanding.

But just like in America, other companies are not up to the quality of the top ones.

Deaf

None what so ever. If I like it I might do some research for reviews first, but I most often end up getting it. EDC guns from US, and Croatia, Hunting, target, and plinking handguns from US, Germany, Austria, and Hungary. Shotguns from US and Turkey. With a couple full sized handguns high on my short list from Turkey as well.
All that not mentioning my milsurp C&R handguns, and long guns from all over the globe.

It is ironic that we get so many of our firearms from countries where the citizens are by and large forbidden from owning them.... and countries that criticize our freedom/gun laws, yet profit from them!

And important consideration about the country of manufacture is how good the lines of support are.
The best equipment is of little benefit if the repair and parts support isn't there.

I've only bought 9 new firearms and the first 8 were all made in the USA. My last purchase was made in the Phillipines because made in the USA and affordable don't go together when you want a 1911. My RIA 1911 tactical doesn't have the "high quality" look and reputation of some of the USA made ones but it performs flawlessly, is accurate and best of all, I paid under $500 for it out the door.

Based on my recent experience, I will not be as concerned about the country of origin in the future but will look more at value for the money and support.

I am not so much concerned with country of origin as with the reputation/quality of the gun itself. I also have to keep an eye on the wallet, so price factors in, as well. As long as its not coming from somewhere that has overt ties to terrorism, human rights issues, etc, I just want to get the best deal on a good gun.

I usually do not worry too much about country of origin, but if I feel the same about two guns and one happens to be made in USA it is the one I would buy.

Along with the proven US made (such as Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson and the like), there are many early manufacturers that still prove quality firearms. I can include Italy's made Beretta, Germany's Mauser action, and England's Walther, etc. The quality foreign-made firearm might be early manufactured, but if kept maintained will function like a charm. New technology in firearm manufacturing can lower costs or balloon costs according to its craftsman workmanship.

Does that also apply to handguns in your personal opinion? Or is it, in that case, often more a matter of patriotism? In other words, if you have two exactly identical guns in front of you, would you pick say the US or the German made? (an even better example would maybe be the US vs. Austria, which is even a quite likely scenario...)

It does to me. If buying a new production gun I will lean toward US made first. If buying old guns it would depend on what is happening at that point in history in the particular country. For example: I would tend to stay away from German guns made in 42-45. With everything I tend to stay away from Chinese, Indian and Mexican manufacture. Always tend to buy US first with the exception of machine tools. They are Japanese before all others.

It is ironic that we get so many of our firearms from countries where the citizens are by and large forbidden from owning them.... and countries that criticize our freedom/gun laws, yet profit from them!

a VERY good point - and the EU is even working on bringing privately owned forearms completely down. A shame we ain't organized as good as you are on the other side of the big pond...

"Foreign made" doesn't mean anything; There's good and bad from every country.

For example, some world class firearms have come out of Germany, but in years past, Germany was also notorious for RGs, H. Schmidts, Recks, and other very cheaply made pot metal firearms. This is a cycle that seems to be repeating itself, by the way, with the advent of GSG, Umarex, etc.

Same for Italy who produces some fine world class firearms, but also has a history of cheap Tanfoglio .25s, .32s and .380s.

Japanese guns have always resulted in a mental picture of "Japanese junk, yet some of the finest guns in the world come from Japan now.

"American" brings to mind fine old Colts, Smith & Wessons, but also a plethora of Jennings, Ravens, Stallards, Hi-Points, and a whole recent crop of startup companies making plastic guns.

I guess my point here is that you look at the gun and choose it not from its country of origin, but its merits.

Last edited:
I don't buy communist country guns. See no reason to support them .
Some one is buying to resale to us . So we are supporting them.

Back