Cop vs guy with AK47

I remember the incident. That officer died in the exchange. Unfortunately, the BG was a real vietnam combat vet, and from what I remember used supressing fire, hit the cop a few times (on the exchange where he fired multiple times and approached the passenger side of the vehicle) and killed the officer at point blank range. I don't remember the details, but I remember it happened recently (maybe within the last 2-3 years) and that the BG was caught or killed.

Last edited:
As soon as the guy pulled the AK the cop should have been killing him!! Too many warnings, too little aimmed fire on the cops part. As soon as that guy turned with the weapon in hand, it's head shot time!!

The weapon the murderer used was an M1, I believe. I have seen this video many times-it gets my blood to boil every time.

I agree with Craig. It's definitly an eye opener for those who complain about being harshly treated during a routine traffic stop, or people who make fun of LEO's for their line of questioning during said stops.

I just hope that when you "hear the owl", you'll be that good

He yelled for the guy to put the gun down more than 5 times... how quick of a reaction time do you really need before the gun fire breaks out? :confused:

Thats tragic....I hope I never get faced with anything like that when I become a LEO, and if I do, I hope I have the common sense and the training to deal with it properly. I would have dropped the guy as soon as he turned towards me with the rifle.

That kind of pisses me off. The guy was just doing his job, and seemed like a decent guy, and he got killed for no reason by the scum of society (Vietnam veteran or not)

He yelled for the guy to put the gun down more than 5 times... how quick of a reaction time do you really need before the gun fire breaks out?
"Hearing the owl" is an expression based on Native American beliefs. When you hear the owl call your name, your number's up ;) .

I understood Capt. Charlie.. With the BG's actions prior to him pulling the gun (what ever it was) as soon as I saw a weapon, perhaps with one drop it command, it would for me be time to take drastic action. This would have been easiest when he first started to remove the weapon, while he was still a stationary target, not after he was moving/firing. Sadly this video also shows the great value of movement when TSHTF. It looked like from at least my stand point that the LEO stayed relatively in one place. (perhaps behind his door) Too many warnings, too many calls for backup, waiting too long to act... SAD it didn't turn out the other way around.

Sad but

I don't know what state this was in. Probably a state where a cop doesn't get too excited when he sees a civilian with a gun. And yes U are all right. The cop should have dropped him as soon as he saw the rifle. U don't touch a gun when a traffic cop stops U. This was the cop's fault. 1. The cop should have been a better shot. 2. He should have had a caliber that would have knocked the perp down as soon as he shot him. Sad.

This video has been posted here quite a few times....

During one of those threads there was a news article which explained that the officer had been chastised for drawing his weapon prematurely not long before this incident. That surely factored into his reaction, as he did not want to get into trouble by using his gun again.

That very thought had just passed my mind. A question to which none of us will ever know the answer. Could that very camera that recorded all of this, have been a factor in the LEO's (for lack of a better way of stateing this) cause for his slow/slower actions??
1. We don't know what his skills were. Did he shoot only to qualify, was he a Grand Master?
2. What caliber was he shooting? Any reasonable pistol carry cartridge is marginable as far as "stopping power" goes.. PLACEMENT is what stops most gun fights.

Chris Phelps said:
He yelled for the guy to put the gun down more than 5 times... how quick of a reaction time do you really need before the gun fire breaks out?

I'm talking about the confidence in making a "headshot" under stress, wearing kit, dude is moving, firing at you...

"Hearing the owl" also means combat to some "fraternities"...IE: "Oh yeah, (insert name) and I heard the hoot owl together a few times..."

:(

FYI, here's the low down on what happened, taken from "The Line of Duty".

Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, Laurens County, GA, was minutes from being off duty when he
encountered a speeding pickup truck going 98 mph. The deputy was an ICE (Interstate
Criminal Enforcement) officer that dealt with traffic infractions, speeding and the occasional
drug bust. This was a low risk or unknown risk stop for speeding. He radioed in the speeding infraction, made a U-turn in the median and pursued the vehicle.

The driver, Andrew Brannan, stopped his vehicle, exited and started a crazy, dancing jig in
the middle of the road while swearing at the officer and shouting ‘I’m a god-damned
Vietnam vet.” At first, he ignored Dinkheller’s commands to step towards the deputy, which always began with `Sir’.

When he finally complied, he attacked the deputy and a scuffle ensued. The deputy
implemented the use of his asp and ordered Brannan to `get back’. This procedure was
repeated, but after what appeared to be a second scuffle, the suspect returned to his vehicle and retrieved a M-I Carbine from under the seat. The first shots were fired nearly 50 seconds after Brannan returned to his vehicle despite the deputy’s commands.

Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller
apparently fired the first shot. Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy.
Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the driver’s side of the
pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach. Using suppressive fire, Brannan
systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not be covered had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkheller’s right eye.

Source: LineofDuty

This makes me sick

I have seen this before and I can only think of the way liability is drummed into the heads of Officers. The training that constantly warns of the legality of using deadly force on a subject. More FATS training might have helped then again it might not. I pray that all of us stay safe and use our best judgement to do right.

Back