Conical Bullets for 1858 NMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Hawke] You obviously don't live anywhere near where I do or have to live on what I live on. The last T7 I saw was almost 30 bucks a pound where Pyrodex was 19

The local Walmart here just had a clearance sale on some T7, which I picked up for $15 a container. The Pyrodex was cleared out at $12, but I don't much care for it. Hypothetically speaking, even if there was no BP substitute available locally, it would not operate as an excuse to make my own BP, since if something went wrong I would be held to a strict liability standard.

The local Walmart here just had a clearance sale on some T7, which I picked up for $15 a container. The Pyrodex was cleared out at $12,

Walmart here doesn't sell it since nobody uses it for hunting anymore. I still have about five pounds of Swiss and four of Pyrodex but when that runs out I'll be making a ball mill.

I'm in the same boat as you Hawg. Gun shops around here no longer sell black powder or the substitutes so I have to drive 160 miles north to buy it.

Quite frankly I am very anal and detailed. I'd likely make some fine grade powder that's pretty consistent, and being a stickler for safety I'm sure I'd do fine. I'd not make a large batch and would ensure it wasn't enclosed to build pressure like a bomb leaving fire as the most likely issue. I'm interested, and though the cost is high buying in quantity to help offset the HazMat I'm not about to try as the consequences of something bad happening can be severe.

So I do agree with you in part on some issues...

[rodwhaincamo] How do you know they don't? It is their business, how they make their living.

Because you did not post any scientific findings or data to support your conclusion stemming from those conversations. The research, development and manufacturing of propellants is based around science and data, not anecdotal claims.

"
[Hawg] Walmart here doesn't sell it since nobody uses it for hunting anymore. I still have about five pounds of Swiss and four of Pyrodex but when that runs out I'll be making a ball mill.

Have you asked the Walmart manager whether they can order some T7 or Pyrodex? Another avenue for BP is local or regional muzzleloading clubs.

Another avenue for BP is local or regional muzzleloading clubs.

Like I said before there's nothing within 100 miles if there's any that close. The ATF allows you to make 50 pounds for personal use without a license. It's all perfectly legal.

[Black Powder Ben] Like I said before there's nothing within 100 miles if there's any that close. The ATF allows you to make 50 pounds for personal use without a license. It's all perfectly legal.

It is not perfectly legal and if you ever have a mishap while you are making BP or storing it, you will be subject to civil and criminal liability. As a legal professional I cannot condone dangerous conditions or activities that places other people and their property at risk, just because you want to make black powder at home.

Seriously rodwhaincamo, breathing in lead fumes isn't exactly high on my priority list, much less spending my spare time recycling scrap lead.

TLJohnson: I think you are over-worried about the risks of casting bullets.

Casting for sure. Very little lead vapor is coming off of lead at casting temperatures. You should always cast in a well-ventilated area, but this is mostly so that the fumes from flux burning off are expelled. But it helps with any lead vapors also.

I've been casting for 7 years now and I get my lead levels checked at every annual physical. I have no issues.

Basically you have to ingest the lead to get lead poisoning. So don't drink or eat while or after handling lead.

Steve

[/QUOTE]It is not perfectly legal and if you ever have a mishap while you are making BP or storing it, you will be subject to civil and criminal liability. As a legal professional I cannot condone dangerous conditions or activities that places other people and their property at risk, just because you want to make black powder at home. [/QUOTE]

From page 64. https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs...ves-laws-and-regulations-atf-p-54007/download Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal,
non-business use are not required to have a manufacturer’s
license.

This is all explosives not just bp. And as for lead it has to reach the boiling point for any toxic fumes to be released. Now go troll somewhere else.

He is!

But MY neighbor is a redneck......not that there is anything wrong with that.

But yes, you are right makes no damn difference whether or not the neighbor is a redneck or a greenneck.
And what's to ensure that my redneck neighbor will limit his batches to 440 grams?
Just because an activity is legal does not mean it is safe. I really don't give a darn what he does to himself or his property.

I am having a little fun with this, but my point remains.

This is no way to make new friends..

I'd highly suggest doing a bit of reading before posting so aggressively on something you might not completely understand.

The rules are pretty clear on BP, and some of these guys have been casting lead and making powder since the civil war ended. If you're so worried, get your blood checked annually. It won't go from 0 to 100% overnight.

T.he L.awyer Johnson

Yes, black powder and many, many other things are dangerous. You are preaching to the choir. I'm sure there is a lot more black powder experience here on this forum than you have. You made your point, there is no need for you to repeatedly push your agenda.

You don't know where or under what situations people are making black power, yet you state that it is not legal. How do you know counselor? Is everyone guilty until proven innocent? They could be in non-residental or rural areas that allow it. Discussion of the subject is not the same as encouraging someone to make it. I have not made black powder but find the subject interesting.

No one needs to prove anything to you, with statistics or scientific data. If non-commercial black powder lifts the starshell high enough, or propels the ball fast enough...meets the requirements of the maker, then it's as good as commercial powder for that use.

Black powder pistols use a dangerous explosive for a propellant, you may breathe smoke and fumes of lead as you fire them, the very loud sound may damage your hearing, you may forget to wash your hands after handling the lead balls, the pistol may explode, you may shoot yourself....in short, I suspect that black powder weapons are too dangerous for you. I suggest you pursue something else.

I suspect that black powder weapons are too dangerous for you. I suggest you pursue something else.

Life is so dangerous there's no way you're getting out alive so my suggestion for TLJohnson is to get one and live it.

[Hawg]From page 64. https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/...54007/download Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal,
non-business use are not required to have a manufacturer’s license.

Your confusing making black powder, an explosive, for personal use and the liability laws that attach in connection with abnormal dangerous conditions or activities. They are not one and the same. By the same token, You can also own firearms that are regulated under law, but when you use them in a deadly encounter, you could be held liable from both a civil and criminal standpoint depending on the circumstances.

Similarly, if you make black powder and something goes wrong or the storage area goes up, you will be sued and likely charged with a crime. Your likelihood of prevailing in a strict liability civil lawsuit is slim, since there are very few major defenses that will get you off the hook. Other areas you might be subject to are public nuisance laws, when the condition or activities interfere
with the rights of others. Some states also provide for absolute nuisance on facts that would comprise strict liability for an abnormally dangerous condition or activity.

So, the bottom line, is if the person knows they are engaging in a non-normal or abnormal use of land that creates an increased danger to persons or property; accordingly, that person will be strictly liable for the harm caused by this use, as there is no need to prove negligence.

Lastly, the ATF disclaims that information they provide on their website is legal advice or binding in a court of law, so don't assume they are providing you with a carte blanche, because it is simply not so.

Chill out everyone.

For anyone who wishes to discuss the legality and liability of rolling their own, there is another forum for that. This thread was about bullets for the 1858 and has strayed too far from the original topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back