Concerned about potential results of a foolish action...

I think someone mentioned this, But I like to keep my Ruger in its holster, strapped to the bed frame. At the end where I lay down, So I can reach above my head and draw it if need be, I also usually keep the chamber empty and the mag full at night. Its pointing towards the ground and its out of sight (which is another plus). Just an idea for anyone who doesnt have a good spot to put their gun while sleeping.

P.S. I think theres actually a company that makes bed frame holsters, Not sure what the name is, But strapping a retention holster to your frame is basically the same thing.

Old Adage

magnumenthused,

This old adage seems to apply: "Any fool can have an accidental discharge with a semi-automatic but it takes a DARNED fool to have one with a revolver"! I hope you learned that lesson well.

What surprised me most in the post was this:

"Ammunition: .357 case, low-power .38 target load. Semi-wadcutter all-lead bullet (the sort that looks like the conical tip is a dunce cap with the top half cut off) with a proper .7cc measurement of Hercules Red Dot powder, Winchester primer."

Is this what you are using for your self defense round?

I'm with the Capt on ensuring that you're in an "awake" state of mind when you pick the weapon up. A retention holster would do the trick. Often those with semi-autos will leave the chamber empty or the magazine partially ejected if they have a magazine disconnect safety. I just plain don't like having it under the pillow. It is more natural instinct to reach out for a weapon rather than behind your own head. Just make sure that you do take some training and mentally prepare yourself for "undoing" whatever obstacles you use to ensure your alertness.

It was my self defense round, yes. I have semi-jacketed HP's now given to me by my dad the other day in the speedloader he had for this revolver. Soon as I can I'll replace them with new ammo such as hydrashoks or something..

This old adage seems to apply: "Any fool can have an accidental discharge with a semi-automatic but it takes a DARNED fool to have one with a revolver"! I hope you learned that lesson well.

Yet they happen frequently. People forget that a 12 lb trigger pull really isn't that much to an adult hand. All it takes is for the hand to clench and the trigger will fire unless the trigger finger isn't on it.

And a lot of NDs (not ADs) happen when dry firing takes place with a loaded weapon.

And at the point where you cock a DA handgun...be it revolver or auto

You have shaved the margin to almost nothing

Thank you Col.

Agree or disagree, I hate to see people be misunderstood/misrepresented.

Kinda obscures the topic you're disagreeing about. :)

I'd patch up the holes and keep quiet.

I agree. If anyone had been hit by the stray bullet, there would've been police & an ambulance at the scene that night; if there had been a fatality, you woul have heard about it by now.

I would patch the holes inside & out - making ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you don't get caught at it when doing the outside hole and thus have to explain why you are doing that - and "let sleeping dogs lie."

Also, I think you should get some competent, professional firearms instruction, and get some 125g. magnum HPs (CorBon, Hornady XTP, Golden Sabre, Federal EFMJ, HydraShok, etc.) to use for defensive purposes.

And thank your lucky stars no one was hurt or killed; you sure as h*ll don't want to have to answer for that!! :D

I had a S/D (Stupid Discharge) once year ago with a Colt 1911. Not the guns fault at all, it was mine. No one hurt, and nothing but a bookcase damaged, but like this incident, the other people in the house heard nothing. Neither did I really, bur I attributed that to shock/surprise when the gun went off.

My wife's uncle who had stopped by the house was in the next room in visual contact with me, and he said he thought I had "popped" a primer reloading. My wife and my mother in law, neither one heard it.

Needless to say, I'm VERY careful now.

Consider that as your "5-gallon bucket of ice water dumped on the blankets" wake-up call. Minor property damage, no human injury. (OK, Pride & Ego took some hits, but better them than flesh).

Not something I admit very often, but I USED TO sleep with my .44Mag Super Blackhwak under my pillow...I lived in a rough apartment complex..Police were there 5 or 6 nights a week.

One morning, I was making up the bed, and I moved the pillow...THE REVOLVER WAS COCKED :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn, foghorn...

Is there any good reason for stowing a gun under your pillow, or is that strictly for the movies? :confused:

Be careful.

Some guys I encountered when I was going to school back in Ohio made a shooting range in their basement. They shot the entire wall full of holes with .22 ammo. Don't ask me why, but they did. The landlord wasn't happy with them. Their parents probably ended-up rebuilding a wall.

The landlord wasn't happy. I have a big old .44 Magnum revolver. Dirty Harry:-) Always unload those bad boys before messing around with them. I am sure you learned your lesson.

this time when I cocked the hammer and placed my finger on the trigger, in my tired state I fired the weapon.

You know, on a site that should be full of knowledgeable firearms people it's absolutely incredible that only a couple of people questioned cocking a DA revolver in the first place, and not before a dozen or so posts that ignored such irresponsible safety violations as cocking with finger on trigger.

Except for very rare special circumstances: YOU DO NOT EVER COCK A DA REVOLVER IN A SELF DEFENSE SITUATION!!!

Practicing real world scenarios like you did is an absolutely vital part of a practical home defense. Repeating motions and situations will cause your body to react in habit if you are ever put in the scenario. I practice drills throughout my house, as does my wife.

I would highly recommend purchasing some snap caps, though. In all of our weapons, we have magazines that are spraypainted bright green and are double checked to be loaded only with snap caps before starting drills. All magazines with live ammo are unloaded, and placed in a safe until the drills are over, at which point they are reloaded and placed back into the gun.

Just some tips on how to stay safe. Lucky everything went okay!

EDIT: By the way, a holstering suggestion as opposed to under your pillow:
I simply drilled a holster into my headboard, on the side, at an angle. I sleep on my side or stomach, where my weak hand is never more than a few inches away from the gun. This just makes me feel a bit safer than accidentally knocking the gun off the bed or sleep movements setting the gun off.

Back