Concealed draw time

IMO, one's 'draw times' from open or concealment against a stationary paper target are irrelevant.

What are you really testing?

I agree with the idea of movement, a large step to the side forces the "Bad Guy" to adjust his aim before he can shoot you. It takes time for him to do so, which give you time to act...Multiple side steps were able to keep him from making a shot until I had a chance to take mine.
The idea of 'side-steps' is merely for range safety. In real life, you may have the whole clock position to move to, not just 3- or 9 o'clock. The courses I've taken with SI (both FoF and live-fire) allowed us to move in other directions than merely left/right or forward/back.

In my FoF experience, moving to the 11 or 1 O'clock positions (if possible) cause the BG to have to correct the most, and giving you time to draw and shoot, escape, or even go 'hands-on' as the situation dictates.

I realize you may not be able to move in any direction at any time, due to walls, furniture, or terrain. Just realize there are other ways to move beside a 'side-step'.

Smince -- I should have made the point of all movement as well. I agree side stepping is mostly for range saftey but can work. I really was talking about moving in all directions, I should have elaborated. Thats was interesting what you said about 11 and 1 throws them the most. Im interested could you explain that a bit more please?

Im interested could you explain that a bit more please?
Sure.

Get a training partner and a blue gun/toy gun/airsoft and try this. When he points at you move to the 5 or 7:00 position. The BG barely has to turn the gun to track you.

At 3 or 9, he only has to turn a bit more. Moving to the 11 or 1 positions causes the BG to have to turn and track you farther.

Any movement will reset his loop, but more than a step or two (if allowed by terrain) is desirable. The basic idea is to not be where he is aiming by the time he has his gun out or decides to shoot.

Does this work if the BG is already drawn on you? Depends. In FoF, with the gun pointed at me and the BG ready to shoot as soon as I make any move, I have rarely been hit, or just a nick in my side. I have easily been able to draw my own gun and put multiple shots in the Bg's side while he was still trying to track me.

Everything I've been taught in FoF classes seems to correlate quite well with actual dash-cam/security-cam footage I see on the 'net.

Last edited:
Sounds good Im going to practice that. I mean, I obviously though about moving in other directions too before. However, I didn't know which direction would throw them the most. Seems logical though moving in those directions would cause the most compensation. Especially movinging quickly say to 11 you get even 5-6 goods steps and get the gun on him, he has to move a bit. Like you said you got grazed in the side but you got shots on target. This seems like a good tactic, I think about movement. However, you just got me thinking about a more specific plan on where to move to. Appreciate the advice. Did you get to use SIMS? I want to do that, for right now its the little airsoft BB's for SIMS.

Screem and run like a girl

I am not being silly here. Well yes I am. A friend was assalted by a "crazy man" no gun but the assailant ran up and threw a punch said friend being Quick dodged the punch and grbed the guy tossing him onto some grocery carts the guy starts "screeming like a girl" startleing my friend the guy rolls off the carts and runs away. Point is doing the unexpected like moving off the X or screeming or closing the distance, increasing distance, may give one time to draw or run away. Keeping your head is the hard part.

Moving to 1 or 11 will cause a larger "reset," but do you really want to move toward the threat? All the real shooting stats I have seen show a dramatic increase in accuracy as distances close (especially at 5 and 3ft).

I would think creating distance would favor the practiced CCWer more than closing it. (generically speaking)

Nooooo, that's way too dangerous - left hand like punching in extra zeros....can't let that happen!

Lol, had to giggle at that one....damn that left hand and the extra zeros, gonna drain your bank account

I am not being silly here. Well yes I am. A friend was assalted by a "crazy man" no gun but the assailant ran up and threw a punch said friend being Quick dodged the punch and grbed the guy tossing him onto some grocery carts the guy starts "screeming like a girl" startleing my friend the guy rolls off the carts and runs away. Point is doing the unexpected like moving off the X or screeming or closing the distance, increasing distance, may give one time to draw or run away. Keeping your head is the hard part.

Nice, so your saying your frind got bum russhed by a bum, then threw him on the shopping carts, the guy starts crying like a little girl and runs off....why am I never there whan this stuff happens:(

Moving to 1 or 11 will cause a larger "reset," but do you really want to move toward the threat? All the real shooting stats I have seen show a dramatic increase in accuracy as distances close (especially at 5 and 3ft).
That accuracy will be in your favor, as you aren't having to reset your loop or track your target, in my experience.

Raimius
Moveing in is situational if its close grab the gun redirect, head but, elbow, bite whatever it takes. A fight for ones life is just that. Five feet away run, two feet away maybe rush thats MAYBE. I agree distance is your friend. but there are also times that there is no plase to run to, and no time for a draw.

I think I could move to 10-11'ish area while making distance between my target. Yes it is a step in their direction but I would be moving in that direction and towards the side as well. If that makes sense, like zigging as you moved in that general direction, gun locked on target. Like you said smince they have to reset and track while you got your shot. Personally, I have never tried this so cannot say if it works.

Back