concealed carry.

Said gun must be a, as we used to say, a Hi-Capacity one

That again is an 'opinion' of an individual and obviously for the individual it is right and their right to hold it, but it may not be for you. Not intending any offense to the poster or anyone else, but that line of thinking kind of makes me uncomfortable to be honest.
I carry religiously as I said, which to me means that my chosen carry piece is as much a part of wardrobe as pants, or a shirt, underwear, socks, shoes, or even a watch or glasses. I am NEVER without it even on the weekend puttering around the house alone. When I take it off my person at night, it is next to me on the nightstand, and when I dress the following morning it is right back on my person without fail. Basically when I am dressed, I am armed. That said, I genuinely hope that I never find myself in a situation where I feel compelled to or am forced to draw my revolver and fire it in order to defend my family, loved one, or myself.
I carry religiously, not zealously... and I believe that there is a difference.

Okay another question pertaining to this topic. I am getting ready to order my gun belt from (the beltman) the belt has options that you can add which is an internal stiffener and an inside Velcro strip but I can only get one or the other. Which one of these options should I choose if any?

I'm not sure why an 'internal stiffener' would be necessary with a quality belt. As far as the Velcro goes or the stiffener, it's going to be your decision... sorry for being absolutely zero help! :p

coyotewsm;

The belt I have worn for at least 15 years. An Instructor Belt, comes with a stiffener, no metal "The Frequent flier belt" from the Wilderness Store in Arizona.

This belt is still like new! I wear it every day. With a Glock 19, a spare G17 magazine, and a Flash Light. No leather.

The two defining characteristics of a gunbelt are:

- It's a lot stiffer than a regular belt, and
- It has finer adjustment options than a regular belt.

Many gunbelts, whether leather or nylon, achieve the required stiffness by being built around a stiff layer of polymer. A stiff belt will hold the gun closer to the body, thus allowing for better concealment and less fatigue.

Fine adjustments (eg, closer holes in a leather belt) are needed to keep the belt tightly cinched. A belt holding up a loaded firearm in addition to your pants is working harder, and a close, yet comfy, fit is required.

I have "The Ultimate Gun Belt" from abetterbeltusa.com. For only $10 extra it has a Kydex stiffener. For $10 I thought why not. Check out their website. Great belts and company.

There are two kinds of gun toters? According to me. And I mean just us gun people who carry every day for protection.

The first, the chap with at least a dozen different pistols, who rotates them religiously, day in, day out! They might even do that with different holsters, in different places as well.

Then the more dedicated individual, the same gun, in the same place, always! Said gun must be a, as we used to say, a Hi-Capacity one.
Plus a spare magazine.

Seems to me that you'd have to be more "dedicated" to develop a dozen different rigs and skillsets to run them than to just put on the same rig every day......

I don't fit in either category ...... I'm to lazy to practice with much of anything but my hunting rifle and carry gun, and don't do enough of that, even ..... but it's the same gun in the same place, and it only holds 9 bullets :eek: !........ and what about the 5-shot pocket revolver guys? They are as common as any other "toter" ......

"Toters" are individuals, even the ones that overgeneralize and the ones that do everything according to that wonderful oxymoron, "Gun Fora Conventional Wisdom"...... and they'll do it how they find it works for them.

Okay another question pertaining to this topic. I am getting ready to order my gun belt from (the beltman) the belt has options that you can add which is an internal stiffener and an inside Velcro strip but I can only get one or the other. Which one of these options should I choose if any?

I can't tell you which you would like better ..... stiffer is better, generally, and wider/thicker is stiffer. Too stiff and wide and it won't be as comfortable ....

re:
The belt I have worn for at least 15 years
, etc.

... maybe I'm a bit tougher on belts than most folks .... mine tend to get pretty tattered and stained after a couple of years of wearing it everyday .... likewise with holsters .....

I see all these pix of "EDC" rigs .... that everybody says they put on everyday, and go about their life...... and almost without exception, everything looks new and clean ......

Your gun is too big.

Carry small, carry smart, carry CONCEALED.

Truth is, you're not alone by any means. Seems like half the people out there are trying to carry full-size duty guns.....and not doing real well at concealing them.

I suspect that some of them actually WANT people to know they're carrying.

There are some show-offs among us, I guess.

Most people won't notice. The average guy is just not that attentive.

Cops will notice. Most don't care, some do. Some will give you a hard time. Some will give you a really, REALLY hard time.

Bad guys will also notice because it's their business to know if somebody might have a gun......they may want to steal it or they may just want to avoid it. Either way, they have the jump on you and are one step ahead if your carry can be made.

Most of us who have been carrying for many years gradually get into something really comfortable and easy to conceal--probably in the right front pocket.

Carry small, carry smart, carry CONCEALED.

Most of us who have been carrying for many years gradually get into something really comfortable and easy to conceal--probably in the right front pocket.

That's one man's opinion. Here's another:

I would never even consider pocket carry, because unless your hand is in your pocket already (and who walks around sith their hands in their pockets 24-7?) on the gun, or you are wearing a pair of clown pants with pockets that stay open (also a non-starter), draw speed is going to be too slow to be of much use in any situation you did not see coming well in advance (and thus could have been avoided anyway) ..... it also requires a small gun..... I believe in having enough gun.... you go to the trouble of carrying a gun at all, you might as well carry one useful beyond contact distances and against more than one assailant. YMMV.

Verm, I'm not there yet (don't have your many, many years of experience) .... but like I said elsewhere- it's still a free country, and folks will carry what they think they should .....

In my own case, I don't shoot anything not a SAO well enough to trust myself to try to hit anything, especially at speed .....

I'd be better off with a short sturdy blade than a snubby.

The Verminator has a point. My carry guns are compacts, because my first priority was to be able to carry concealed with some degree of ease, and my second criterion was wanting a full 3-finger grip. Thus, subcompacts were out. But, after three years of carry experience, I can see the advantage of a pocket pistol. I can and have pocket carried my compacts, but it is by no means a preferred mode. A pocket pistol with less than half the bulk volume would carry nicely in my pocket no matter what I am wearing.

While one can find nice pocket pistols chambered in 9 Luger, I would not choose one because of potential lack of control due to a 2-fingered grip on a light platform. A smaller caliber and slower draw don't concern me, as having access to a any firearm beats being unarmed, and even .25 Auto from a pocket pistol will meet IWBA penetration criteria with FMJs.

The bottom line is that there are times I leave my home unarmed, despite going to locations where carry is not prohibited, but with a pocket pistol I believe such behavior would cease.

The "two-finger grip" problem was not a big problem for me, but it did bother a little--so I popped a new magazine base from GAP Enterprises on the stock Glock 26 magazine. Didn't change concealability for me at all (big pockets).

This gives me a grip that's as good as I have on any gun. For that matter, I can shoot the little Glock better than I can shoot the big ones (doesn't seem like it should, but there it is).

Concealment is not a problem. Although a Smith J frame would be better, the Glock 26 works fine even without "Clown Pants." :)

I wear some good hiker pants from Cabela's most of the time. Big deep pockets. No problem. They make the same model in shorts for the summer. I have a DeSanti's pocket holster that works quite well (it's even fairly fast coming out of the pocket).

Pocket carry is cool and comfortable. Sometimes "years of experience" means years of being annoyed by trying to carry guns that are just too big.

I know you young guys know better, but sometimes as you get older you go with comfort more and more.

I sometimes carry a spare magazine and if I do it's a Glock 17 magazine. With that you don't have to worry about a two-finger grip and it gives you 17 rounds (I figure by the time the spare is expended everybody in the immediate vicinity--including me--will probably be dead or wounded).

Most of my spares are 17 mags. I figure if you're gonna have a spare......might as well have a few extra rounds.

If I absolutely have to wear dress pants that are tighter and less concealing--I'll go with my good old Smith Model 36 Chief in .38 Special with a speed strip of 5 as a spare.

All this, of course, is just my preference and the place I've come to after many years. Who knows what will work for you?

:)

Your gun is puny compared to some of my EDC guns. You have to dress around what ever you choose to carry and that includes cover garments and a proper fitting belt. The choice of belt is up to you. I just use old fashioned stiff workbelts and put the holes where I need them.

Brit, I'm simply going to disagree with your premise that concealed carry needs have anything to do with an anecdotal (and highly unusual) home invasion scenario.

The pocket pistol sounds good until a nut crusher incident occurs. Is there a preferred holster, gun/holster combo.... that resists the natural movement of involved parts to not conflict? Newbie question I know, but I must ask...... Yard work was involved in the back yard with likely rabid opossum in play. No public carry yet, soon to come.

DeSantis pocket holster and Glock 26.

No nut crushing involved.

I've carried that way for going on a decade and the nuts have never been threatened in any way.

:)

Finally received my new holster today made by frontline. This is a tuckable holster however when I tried tucking my shirt in it just sucked the shirt in around the gun, completely noticeable. However the slight forward cant of the holster really help with concealing when not tucking.

the only holster I have found that is easy to tuck in a shirt with is the "VersaCarry", the holster itself sucks, but it works for that purpose. I would never use a VersaCarry w/o a solid safety though. you can put the shirt between the delrin rod and the front clip, so all you see is a little clip on your belt. pretty discreet, but the holster itself provides minimal protection

Back