concealed carry.

coyotewsm

I bought my first handgun about a month ago then I went and applied for CC permit which I just got in the mail Friday. I started carring Friday evening I have pretty well been carrying all weekend since then. The first time seemed kinda weird due to the size of my gun it does imprint so I was worried everyone is going to know. It was exactly the opposite. The general public is either completely oblivious to what is going on around them, or they just don't care, or they choose not to show it. I rode with some friends yesterday to haul firewood, I didn't tell them I was carrying I know my shirt rode up several and they didn't say anything. Is this normal?

If you are showing the gun in some manner - rethink your modes of dress.

Next, you will see if it is not normal if someone calls the law, the law sees it or someone takes action against you. This has happened recently by some over zealous passerby.

So, as I said - correct your carry that than rely on inattentiveness.

finding the right holster and position to wear it is the key. adequate cover garments need a little thought but not too much unless youre ridiculous with the gun your carrying. consciousness of your activity means watching out when you bend over or reach with gun side arm..... as stated before, don't count on simpletons being oblivious to their surroundings.... concealed means just that. check out youtube for scads of videos....

New carriers can be a bit over-sensitive to 'printing' (which typically means the outline of part of the gun showing through the cover garment), simply because they KNOW there's a gun there, and assume everyone else will realize it.

In my experience, a small amount of printing has never caused anyone to notice I'm carrying. On the other hand, I agree with Glenn, and make absolutely certain the firearm is never actually visible; that's asking for a wide variety of problems, and is to be avoided completely, IMHO.

Larry

In my state open carry is legal I would just rather no know I have it. As far as my weapon it is a little big for carry I think I don't know if other people would agree its a Ruger SR40. I am currently waiting on a new holster to come in. I'm not sure I know how to alter my wardrobe.

coyotewsm said:
I'm not sure I know how to alter my wardrobe.

If you know your shirt rode up enough then buy longer looser fitting shirts. You have to dress around the gun.

Within a month after South Carolina started allowing CWP's I had one. I think I am working on my third renewal now. For years I didn't carry even though I had a permit. Then I got spoiled when I bought a KelTec PF9. I could slip this in my front pocket and I knew it made a little bulge but I didn't think anyone would be able to tell for sure what it was.

Several weeks I bought a Glock 30S. I was afraid that, even though I bought two holsters for it ( IWB and OWB ), that it was printing. This really bothered me for awhile so I tried to find the current law that would address printing and found there wasn't one, just a law about the maximum size of the pistol and that it should be covered. I could find nothing on printing per se.

Then I read in some places that until people got accustomed to carrying that they may be over sensitive about printing. Then it hit me. Out of the hundreds maybe thousands of people I have passed over the years ( that have a concealed weapon ) I can't ever remember one, not one that was printing. When I look at a stranger my eyes don't naturally go to their waistband at their side. If I were about to get in an altercation with someone then I might look a little closer.

But I bet if you did some experimenting with your friends while you are carrying and ask them if they noticed anything different, it will take them a while to notice even though they are trying to find something different about your appearance. Even then they might not notice. Now, I am not going to wear a shirt that is too short and have the weapon sticking out for all to see just to see if I can get away with it, but I am not going to be as concerned about it when I have it well covered with a shirt.

On the one hand, 90+% are totally oblivious to what is going on around them.

On the other hand, the very tiny percentage of people you really have to worry about are in the small percentage that are looking everybody over closely .... folks that are minding their own business won't say anything even if they see your holstered gun. Criminals may target you just for your gun if they think you are not paying attention ..... Busybodies prone to uncontrolled bouts of PSH at the sight of a gun will probably do just that if they see yours.

It's best if your gun stays concealed.

Is your gun too big?

An sR40 is a high capacity, duty sized gun. Is it too big to conceal? Not if you dress around it...... but if you don't want to wear long shirts and/or Carry IWB in pants a size larger than you normally wear ..... yeah, smaller guns are easier.

I started with a 5" steel framed Government Model 1911 in a cheap floppy suede IWB holster and a homemade 14oz latigo leather belt..... it was over 44 oz. loaded .... and I was constantly pulling my pants up .....

Within a year, I went to a Springfield EMP, which was much smaller and lighter, and got a good gun belt and and holster ..... much easier to carry.

I would go with a smaller gun .... the sR9c/sR40c with the 10/9 round magazine in them are better options for concealment .... YMMV.

Given you just bought your first handgun and almost immediately started carrying it - I suggest that you look into some reasonable training dealing with civilian carry.

Most people are self aborbed and unobservant.
It's getting more prevelant with cell phones and such.
But it's nothing new.
Many years ago a friend and I wanted to see how many people would notice him open carrying - legally, of course.
All day we roamed around town on various errands and not a single person appeared to, other than one uniformed policeman standing in line with us at a fast food restaurant.
And he just nodded approval.
And yes, another vote for training for carrying a weapon.
And in your case, maybe a pair of suspenders. :)

Last edited:
Ive been carrying a full sized hand gun daily, for 40 some odd years now. Its not at all difficult if youre willing to do it.

A good belt and holster are key to pulling it off. Ive always found IWB holsters to work best, and these days, Im really diggin on AIWB. Its way better, and for a number of reasons.

You need to watch any gear that sits below the bottom of your belt. Holsters, pouches, etc can quickly give you away, if youre not paying attention.

You also need to get over the need to adjust or "check" your gun (good gear helps eliminate this). You also need to understand what behavior needs to be adjusted, like how you move relative to how you carry. Certain methods, locations require different ways to do things.

Your attitude is as, if not more important than your dress. If you act guilty, or sketchy, people will believe you. Just act normal, and go about your business, and most wont give you a second look. Making eye contact is normal, and also keeps others eyes focused away from what you dont want them to look at. Avoiding it, makes you look like youre up to something. Lighten up! People are much more responsive in a positive manner, if youre friendly, even if its just to say "hey" and smile.

Another thing to consider is the shape youre in. Ive carried fat and skinny, and skinny is definitely easier, and gives you more options. Being in shape also helps big time with your shooting.

As far as dressing around the gun, a lot of that will depend on what you normally wear, and do.

You may want to start adjusting your wardrobe to deal with things now. Sudden changes tend to be noticed and even questioned.

Fleece's, sweatshirts, untucked shirts, etc, are going to be your friends. If you need to wear tucked in shirts, then that tends to narrow your choices, but these days youre in luck, there are a bunch of options that werent available not all that long ago.

This time of year, you want to layer, gun or not. Its the proper way to dress for the cold, and it allows you to remove one or two things, and still have a cover layer. One heavy coat basically sucks for the cold and for carrying a gun.

Dressing appropriately for the season or environment is a necessity too. Out of place clothing, tends to be noticeable, and again, even questioned. Its not hard to adapt, but you do need to be aware.

Watch things like spare mag carriers, and even holster choices sometimes. If you use a knife sheath, multi tool carrier, etc, someone might just ask to borrow it.

Theres lots to think about, but its really not tht big a deal, if youre sensible about things.

another thing to consider, is pay more attention to everyone, and see if you can spot the other guy carrying. Lots to be learned there.

Ak103 I have an iwb kydex holster made by onyour6designs and I believe I mentioned it earlier I have a tuckable leather holster made by front line on order.

Another question. What position on your body should carry your pistol or is that personal preference. I've been wear mine at my 3 o clock.

Three o'clock is about the worst position to carry, especially a large gun.

Try 4-5 o'clock and get a holster with a 15-25 degree rake.

Back