Colt firearms: Morons making crappy guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got one thing to say to you before you buy anything: Let the buyer beware.

You guys sound like a bunch of kids, complaining that those Colts aren't what you want. Did somebody make you buy them, or did you decide for yourself?

I, personally, have had about a half dozen 45 Autos and the same number of 223s, all made by the company you disparage.

Here's a tip: Before I went out and bought them, I learned what they were supposed to be like. Second, I bought used, like new. It seems that there are always people who buy something, perhaps on a whim, and then, realize they have no interest in it or inclination to use it. That's why you save about $100 or so every time you buy like I do.

I have never had a bit of trouble with my Colt's pistols or rifles. I do not endorse any makers guns off the shelf. Look before you buy; if you have any doubts, don't buy!

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Just to share something I saw at the local gun shop...
They have a Colt Lightweight Commander on display there. After pressing the slide release on a locked back slide, the slide moves forward in slow motion! I kid you not. It takes about 2 seconds for the slide to move forward.
Don't know if that's any indication of Colt's quality control, or lack thereof, but just wanted to share this.

I think my record for sending a gun to the factory for repair was seven (7!) times with a S&W Model 29. I was determined to get this revolver fixed. S&W must have been just as determined to get it right, eventually.

OTOH, the last Colt I sent to the factory was repaired properly the first time. This was a 1991A1 with a weak extractor.

YMMV.

Good work, Mr. Sid Post; as I agree. Colt's
of yesteryear are great; but Colt's of today
are nothing but JUNK !!! That's why when I
buy a new shoot'in iron, I look to Sig-Sauer,
H&K, and Glock as the leader's in today's
market, with S&W a bit behind and Ruger
catching up quickly.

Best Wishes To All,

------------------
Ala Dan

Does any of you poster's remember the Colt
Trooper Mk V available with the "Coltguard"
finish? What ever happened to them; as they
disappeared rather quickly?

------------------
Ala Dan

Hey, I also own a SS Gold Cup with the wavy finished flats, for which I spent $350 to have machined even. It goes bang, but its no Kimber. And a DS-II that breaks trigger springs and firing pins way too often.

The service department has a habit of making things worse than when they came in. The action of my gun is beautiful, thanks to aftermarket work, but tightening and off-centering the barrel to correct the BC gap, give me a break. They have to fit the ratchet, so why can't they fit the front of the cylinder where it rides on the crane to give more forward clearance, then fit the ratchet?

[This message has been edited by B Shipley (edited September 28, 1999).]

Well, I have heard several people say that the fix for the GC sight coming off is to replace the solid pin with a roll pin. I know it doesn't make sense, but the gunsmiths who have done it have had quite good results. Apparently the layers of the roll pin dissipate the shearing load of the recoil.

BTW, what sort of loads are you firing in your GC? The bbl lugs on a GC are set up so that they seat more deeply into the slide. This means that full power loads will cause problems with the lugs hanging up on the slide recesses. GC's just are not made for full power loads. I have three of them (well, actually, two of them were made before the term GC was coined), and fire 8,000 lup loads in them. With a 10 lb. recoil spring they work just fine. Full power loads generate about 20,000 cup.

If you want to fire full power loads, get a GM, not a GC.

Hope this helps, Walt

I guess Colt is spending all it's money on refurbishing it's trademark "Onion". The top of their building. I drove by it yesterday, and the Colt is back on top and it's repainted. Perdy...

I had a Colt Defender for a while. Had to send it back because the manual safety would not fully engage without jumping up and down on it. Took 4 weeks to fix. I do like the 1911 format, but don't care for the styling of the Kimbers. Any thoughts on the new "Loaded" 1911's from Springfield?

If you don't like the "styling" on Kimbers, you won't like the Springfields either, since they are cosmetically almost identical. Personally, I can't think of anything on a Kimber that is differently "styled" than any other 1911, unless you don't like front cocking serrations. But the Springfields and the new Colts have those too.

FWIW, the solid rear sight pin on my Colt GC kept drifting out. Replacing the pin with a new solid pin did not help. Finally, Colt's service department replaced the solid pin with a roll pin. The roll pin doesn't look as good. But it beats having the rear sight fly off into the grass.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 04, 1999).]

I guess what I meant was the grips, the finish, the other things that make one able to descern at a glance that this 1911 is a Kimber, that one is a Colt, and that one is a Chinese knock-off. For instance, I can tell a Beretta from the Taurus copy and a Mitsubishi Eclipse fron an Eagle Talon ... Still open to opinions on the Springfield. I know I like the "styling", can anying vouch for reliability and accuracy?

Again Pilate, the finish and the grips on the Kimber are just about identical to those on the new Springfields and the new Colts. There is no real difference. Both the Springfields and the new Colts are DESIGNED to be like the Kimber to compete with the Kimbers. Colt even openly CALLS their new "O Series" "Kimber Killers." A bit overoptimistic on their part if you ask me.

Pilate, I don't know about the guns, but Mitsubishis and Chryslers (Eagles, Jeeps, etc.) are built on the same lines by the same workers. Only the badges, trim, and a few options are different. My uncle builds interiors at the Diamond Star plant in Illinois and he just builds 8-10 of one, then 8-10 of the other all day long.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Gwinny,

That's what I was getting at. The badges, trim and options are different. Same goes for 1911's...

One of the things about my Gold Cup that ticked me off was that one side (the flats) was a good deal higher than the other (also, they rounded the corners off on the OTHER side), not even close. Kimbers are close, and Springfields aren't, but things at SA do seem to be getting better, but I would buy from the dealer's case so I could inspect my gun and not get stuck w/ return shipping.

This may be anal and have nothing to do with function, at first glance, but if it doesn't look nice outside, who knows about the internals?

Pilate, if you want something different from the "style" of the Kimber, you will most likely have to go with a milspec type 1911, and then have it modified by a smith. Thing is, the Kimber is based on the style of the Wilson Combat and other custom guns, and the Springfields and Colts were changed to compete with Kimber. I have a Colt O Series Lightweight Commander, and even the GRIPS are the same as the Kimber Gold Match I also have. Finish is almost identical, sights are both high-profile fixed Novak clones, only real difference is the ambi safeties and grip safety on the Colt are slightly different. Also has the front cocking serrations. The "Loaded" Springfields also have the same style grips, Novak style sights, etc.
If you want different grips or a different finish or don't like the front cocking serrations, you can order the gun that way from Kimber---I would hate to see you not buy the superior gun when you could get it the way you want it.

Okay, I have been convinced. I just looked over the Springfield and Kimber websites, and the cosmetic differences are negligible. There are no prices listed on the Kimber site. How much of a premium does peace of mind carry?

Pricewise, you can get the basic Kimber Classic Custom, matte finish, rubber grips, for under $600 if you shop around. You can then put your choice of grips on if you don't like rubber.
The stainless version of the Classic Custom goes for a bit under $700, while the piece de resistance, the Classic Stainless Gold Match, goes for a hair under $1,000.
I have the stainless Gold Match and I wouldn't part with it for anything. Awesome gun.

Well, you convinced me. I found a stainless Kimber Ultra Carry with night sights used for $700. I like it ALOT. I've yet to test it at the range, but I am hopeful. I didn't like the fact that the store had 2 of them used... That says something to me. Not sure the reasons why people gave them up, but it makes me think. It came with no box and only 1 magazine, which scares me a little bit too... Has theft written all over it... On the brighter side, I picked up 2 Wilson's magazines, and the short base pads. Anyone have experience with this combination? And thanks to all who pointed me toward the Kimber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back