Colt 1861 Navy

Your project looks like a lot of work and you have more patience than me putting the gun together. I read a long time ago and I don't know how much truth is it but from what it said that the kits were made up of reject parts that the manufacturers did not want to use. From what I have read in your posts if the manufacturers had to put that much hand fitting into each gun they produced they would have to sell it for more wholesale than the retail price we pay for them. And the kit price is not that much less than what you can buy a fully functional revolver for. I am sorry if I am raining on your parade, it is not my intention. Good luck on the project.

Thanks Gaucho,

Not THAT much patience... last night, I tried a Dremel tool. I quit before I REALLY made a mess of things.

Today, I took both frames to the local gunsmith and got an estimate for how much to mill out hand slot. His price and solution seemed reasonable enough to me. So, I left it there. If it gets hosed up, I'll pursue buying a frame from a source that Doc provided.

I'll post more when I get the frame back. Probably 4 weeks or so...

Maggs

Maggs, there is a guy selling NEW brass Pietta frames on GB starting bidding at $15.00 on each one. I won one for $15.00 after watching the first ones getting up in the $40.00-50.00 range. Last time I checked he was still throwing them up for auction.

Skipper...

That (15.00) is a good price and actually a person who really needs a new frame might be happy to pay 40.00 to 50.00.

Pietta won't fit everything but if a person knows it is right, your source is a good one.

I personally have never shot an arbor loose but I did have one loosen up due to a chain fire. The chamber just ccw of battery went off and smeared lead all over the barrel lug. I think it was a loose cap because I pinched them on that day, a practice which I vowed never to repeat.

I call that revolver my 666 Sheriff's model because I think it is haunted by the devil.

It is a brass frame .36 1851 pattern barrel in Sheriff's length from C.O.M. I bought it cheap. The first three shots I ever fired from it all went into a four inch tree at about 15 yards hand held. I can't shoot any other revolver I own like that (I am not much of a shot.) Then I took it to the range expecting to repeat the performance and couldn't get it as close. That was the day that my first and only chain fire ever took place. I was very careful with sealing the chambers. I know the bullets fit right. But I pinched the caps.

When I pulled the pistol apart the arbor was loose. I tightened it up as best I could be I never shot it again. When I tell the story, I always end by saying that the serial number is 666, but of course that is a stretch.

Doc, I don't know where this guy is getting them, but he must have hit the mother lode somewhere. He always seems to have one or more on GunBroker every single week.

Hey guys,

I'm still working on the project. I took both frames to my local smith. He was going to machine my frame. In the meantime, he told me that if I found one, to contact him and he would pull it out of the work queue.
I lost out on a bid on GB for a frame, and there haven't been any frames coming up for auction.

My nephew in Kentucky has been looking for me also. He found one and picked it up for me. I'll pick it up in the second week of April when we meet over spring break.

So, still kicking the project around.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Maggs

FWIW,
I have a Piettia Police'62 version (actually just a regular '62 with a short bbl and fluted cylinder) and a Uberti '51 London.
I swear, the London is lighter than the Piettia! Especially up front. Even with the short barrel, the 'Piettia is barrel heavy.
The old Octagon barrel isn't just graceful, it's lighter!
Even so, the Piettia Police handles real nice and is quick pointing. I'm no quick draw so I can't evaluate that...
ZVP

Back