Close call today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't shoot an aggressive panhandler.

This needs to be repeated. While you are receiving a lot of positive vibes I feel someone must take up the role of caution here.

Threatening a panhandler can get you sent to the hoosegow (technical term ;) ) quite quickly. Those of us in the city can be faced with inappropriate beggars almost daily. Its good to be observant and prepared, but one also must be careful to follow the law and act as a reasonable person would, fully cognizant of the massive legal, emotional, and spiritual costs that could occur if you jump the wrong way (or even if you jump the right way).

Last edited:
I do know I was not scared for one second. I knew my beloved Sig wouldn't fail me. It was worth every penny I paid for it. It was worth every one of those practice rounds I've shot. I hope that's the closest I ever have to come to using it. But I do know I am prepared to use it should I have to.

Sounds like a flawless execution of the plan and the outcome could not have been better. For many criminals, the fully confident response without displaying fear can inspire them to move on and find a more fearful and compliant victim to intimidate.

My wife actually uses a Remora holster in a pocket of her purse. That way the trigger and safety are covered, and the stickiness of the holster's outer surface maintains a reasonable orientation for the pistol.
Thank you for that I'll check it out along with the other purse that was suggested.

It sounds like a win to me.

Maybe next time- park facing out. Window up. I eat at the "dashboard diner" too much, and I usually find another lot to eat in.

And yeah- another aggressive panhandler most likely.

I've been looking at those and wondering how well they stay in place. It could be a good option when it's in your pocket or loose in my purse on the rare occasions.

If by stay in place you mean remain positioned in your purse, I suggest it be carried in its own pocket of the purse. In the model that covers the muzzle there is a tension bolt, which could be modified as a single point of attachment to the inner wall of the purse pocket in the manner hartcreek suggests.

If by stay in place you mean does the kydex stay attached to the gun, I think even the ultra minimalist triggerguard cover can support the loaded gun when held by the lanyard. The Flash Bang bra holster is a kydex clamshell oriented with the opening down. The holster holds the gun securely against gravity, and the draw consists of a downward pull. I've never used a kydex holster or knife sheath, but I understand them to be molded to the tool they carry and hold that tool securely.

Last edited:
The level of retention of kydex itself depends on how tightly molded the manufacturer wants to make it. Sometimes they offer a tensioning mechanism as well. Usually the minimalist holsters offer a retention where the pistol feels like it almost pops into place. But again, this can depend on the manufacturer.

I've known folks that use those minimalist holsters and anchor them inside of glove boxes for instance using the chord. The idea is that as you pull the pistol out the chord holds the holster and the holster stays put as you pull back on the pistol. I would think anchoring it in a purse would be possible, though a small purse might be challenging.

^ That's a good idea allowing for a one-handed draw from the glovebox. I need both hands to draw my CZ 82 from its military flap holster that resides in my glovebox.

TailGator's idea of using a Remora holster sounds good. Get the "3-in-1" model and you have a diversity of carry options -- pocket (purse, pants, or jacket), IWB, ankle, and thigh.

:cool:Not to be too negative but there are IMHO way too many cheerleaders in this thread. Too many people are focusing on the gun. The gun would have never come into play if the OP had better situational awareness. Let me illustrate.

First you only need to have your window down at Sonic to order your food and receive your food. There is no reason to leave the window down if security is your #1 concern.

Second if you intend to leave your window down while enjoying your Sonjc choose a spot with good sight lines. Park where someone cannot sneak up on you from a blind spot. Park next to other cars. A robber is less likely to pick the middle car in row of 3 or more. If you cannot do that roll up the window or eat somewhere else.

Third Watch your six etc... And if you see anyone moving toward your vehicle roll up the window. You should have been aware that someone was coming toward your car much earlier than you indicate that you did. The guy walked you did not say he ran. Even at a brisk pace you should have seen him coming.

Having better situational awareness would have at least put a car window between you and your would be perp. Most likely, if he even was a perp not a pan handler, you would not even have had the encounter if your window was up. If one is looking to rob someone in a group you typically choose the easiest target. If I am going to ask someone for money I am going to ask the one with the open window first. The biggest barrier to my success is already down.

Also once you identified the "potential" treat you went for your gun but did not roll up the window? I have to ask why. I also ask why you did not do both? If there was a lapse in my situational awareness that put me in your position I would have dropped my juicy burger in my lap one hand would be rolling up the window the other would be on the gun in my holster but the closed window would give me physical and legal protection to draw if attacked. You had neither in your encounter but we're ready to draw and take a life. I have been carrying for over a decade and have never once put my hand on my carry gun with the intent to draw being imminent. I do everything I can to avoid that moment because I understand all the horrible things that can and will follow if that gun ever clears leather.

I am not trying to be rude. I am sure some here will consider this post that way but I personally believe that the best way to avoid having to use a gun to defend yourself is to not put your self in a situation where you have to defend yourself with a gun. By making smart situational choices like where to sit, where to park, knowing where the emergency exits are, walking in groups, well lit streets, etc... are all defensive weapons you should be deploying everyday instead of your hand on your pistol after being surprised by a man walking toward your open car window. IMHO Yes there will be that 1 in a million+ situation where you did everything right but still had to draw a gun and or shoot someone but you can greatly reduce those long odds by having better situational awareness and maybe not eating at a drive in. LOL ;)

Last edited:
Can't live in a bubble, had the window down to order which if you don't your just talking to youself right? Happened quickly according to the op yet she was aware enough in that second or two to realize that this situation wasn't right ie...normal people do not act in that matter, had her hand on the tool that could save her if the moment turned south but at the same time had enough composure not to panick and prematurely engage this party with that tool when ultimately he walked away, all of which it sounds like took place in seconds. Situational awareness? I think she did pretty well.

Targa reread the OP ordered and received food "window still down".

She did a decent job playing catchup but there were huge breakdowns in her situational awareness so much so that no one can determine if there really was a threat. She assumed there was but we don't really know do we?

Strong situational awareness could have prevented the entire incident IMHO.

Also once you identified the "potential" treat you went for your gun but did not roll up the window? I have to ask why.

I thought about this originally as well, but one thing I will point out is that newer vehicles have automatically reversing windows if they encounter resistance. So all the guy would have to do is put a hand in the open window and it would stop as soon as it hit the hand/arm and actually reverse direction and go down. Still a good idea either way if just to buy you time.

Strong situational awareness could have prevented the entire incident IMHO.

Probably, but hindsight is always 20/20 and people make mistakes (we also don't know how long the window was down). That's why I suggested training. Shooting at a range doesn't teach you to watch sight lines or maintain situational awareness. If just allows you to practice the mechanics of shooting. Many people don't know what to look for until people talk to them about it.

I also don't personally see this as a real incident. The guy was rude and make the OP uncomfortable, but all he needed was a verbal response to leave. I've encountered more insistent panhandlers than this.

I also don't personally see this as a real incident. The guy was rude and make the OP uncomfortable, but all he needed was a verbal response to leave. I've encountered more insistent panhandlers than this.

I agree 100% which is why I agree with getting training but I also am concerned that a relatively new concealed carry holder was ready to draw and saw that as a reasonable response. When no physical or verbal threat was present. I am also alarmed that so few people seem concerned with that.

^ That's why I left my original response because my thoughts were also along those lines. The OP seems to have clarified that drawing wasn't her intent at the time nor her suggested/desired action in this thread. As folks have said, training and as you pointed out institutional awareness both go a long way. Hopefully people learn from this.

My window was down because I had received my food which I was situating in the seat next to me. It was late and I was planning on eating it on the way home. So yes indeed the window could have been rolled up which I failed to do. My car was turned off because I had been waiting. So I would have had to crank the car and roll up the window because there was no power. Either way this is my last post. My point to this post was missed about a year ago. lol

I completely agree that situational awareness is fundamental in protecting ourselves. Recognizing and avoiding dangerous situations, and taking immediate action to remove ourselves from them is far better than a confrontation that could turn very bad in a heartbeat. I also know that it takes intense focus and practice to do this. I wish I could say that I am always aware. I have spent much time and more than a few dollars to learn how to do this, but all to often I realize my attention is not where it should be.

Scatcatt you very likely learned a thing or two in this encounter and where able to drive away with no harm done. That is a very good outcome.

I completely agree that situational awareness is fundamental in protecting ourselves. Recognizing and avoiding dangerous situations, and taking immediate action to remove ourselves from them is far better than a confrontation that could turn very bad in a heartbeat. I also know that it takes intense focus and practice to do this. I wish I could say that I am always aware. I have spent much time and more than a few dollars to learn how to do this, but all to often I realize my attention is not where it should be.

Scatcatt you very likely learned a thing or two in this encounter and where able to drive away with no harm done. That is a very good outcome.

Don't get me wrong I am far from perfect when it comes to situational awareness. No one is and we all get distracted. We all make mistakes and sometimes will find ourselves behind the curve but when we are new to concealed carry we need to be extra vigilant. You also should get training so that you know how to asses and deal with a potential threat and how to avoid them in the first place.

We all have lapses but there is a difference between lapses in our focus and not knowing what we should be focusing on and the paramount importance of that focus. We also need to be willing to take coaching/training and criticism when we suffer those lapses. This is how we get better and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again or god forbid a worse mistake.

That's why I advise avoiding confrontation and walking away from aggressors whenever possible.

exactly, as far as I'm concerned I'll shoot only to extend my escape. There is no way I'm moving forward in a gun battle. I'm leaving as fast and as far as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back