Close call today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you, but I can turn an ignition key pretty fast (assuming the car was off). I can also shift into reverse pretty fast. Before I reached for a firearm I would try those actions, that was my point. Being rude and intrusive doesn't pass my threshold for drawing a pistol. Do as you will.

A vehicle is a deadly weapon, too. I think it's far more prudent to place your hand on a concealed weapon at the approach of a potential threat in a parking lot than to hot rod out of there. Hit a pedestrian in the process of playing Luke Duke in a parking lot, even a perp before he has posed any credible threat, and the price of car insurance skyrockets at a minimum.

Unobtrusively gripping a well concealed pistol in a pocket or a handbag at the approach of potential trouble is not the same as drawing; it is not even brandishing.

I get the impression the P-238 was sitting unholstered in the handbag pocket. I suggest the procurement of a holster appropriate for such carry. A simple triggerguard holster would do. A good holster is an essential safety item. NDs have resulted from Mexican purse carry.

I think it's far more prudent to place your hand on a concealed weapon at the approach of a potential threat in a parking lot than to hot rod out of there. Hit a pedestrian in the process of playing Luke Duke in a parking lot, even a perp before he has posed any credible threat, and the price of car insurance skyrockets at a minimum.

I missed the point where that is what I suggested. My thought was merely to drive away. Simply say, "Sorry I have to be going", and leave.

Unobtrusively gripping a well concealed pistol in a pocket or a handbag at the approach of potential trouble is not the same as drawing; it is not even brandishing.

Then we get into what the definition of potential trouble is. I can only speak for myself, as always do as you will.

I get the impression the P-238 was sitting unholstered in the handbag pocket. I suggest the procurement of a holster appropriate for such carry. A simple triggerguard holster would do. A good holster is an essential safety item. NDs have resulted from Mexican purse carry.

I have a IWB holster for my Sig Sauer P938. Tonight for some reason I upholstered it and laid in the pocket of my purse while I was eating. I don't usually carry in my purse but have been considered it. I've looked at a few purses but they just seem to be like suit cases really. I like to carry a smaller purse. The gun just fits in the side pocket. In the holster it would never fit. My gun never came off safety but I certainly don't want it rolling around in my purse. I'm open to suggestions on what works for other people with a concealed carry purse that might be smaller. I don't like the conceal carry purses mainly because then I'm married to the one purse all the time.

I'm open to suggestions on what works for other people with a concealed carry purse that might be smaller. I don't like the conceal carry purses mainly because then I'm married to the one purse all the time.

I'd say first off that I'm not a huge fan of purse carry because what's one of the first things a thief would target? But as long as you keep it on your person at all times I am a realist in that a lot of women's fashion isn't nearly as easy to carry with as compared to men's fashion where we can wear the fabric equivalents of duffel bags and be fine.

I know people have pointed you to this before and I don't want to repeat what you know, but this is honestly the best resource I know personally. Hopefully some female members will sound off.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/practical-issues/how-do-i-hide-this-thing/

Ohh vest carry. I have to say I'm a vest wearing kinda person. I love me some vests in Texas. Summer times will probably prove to be the hardest for me.

ScatCat

I have posted here before how I set up my mothers purse. I found several leather purses at Good Will. I let her pick the one she wanted for her gun purse. The outside pocket on the purse is her gun pocket nothing else is in that pocket except her Airweight and two speed loaders. I then bought the correct IWB holster and using Hillman bolts that you can find at good hardware stores bolted the holster in the purse it the draw position that she
wanted. By bolting the holster in place through the inside wall of the purse the holster and gun stay solidly in place.

I missed the point where that is what I suggested. My thought was merely to drive away. Simply say, "Sorry I have to be going", and leave.

That sounds like a reasonable alternative, although that could be cumbersome and time consuming if approached in the middle of decimating a burger, fries, and a soft drink. Above you were emphasizing how fast you can start a car and shift into reverse. Backing up in most parking lots is something best not done in haste under most circumstances.

Then we get into what the definition of potential trouble is.

The definition is irrelevant, because resting your hand on a well concealed, properly holstered handgun is not a threatening gesture, nor does it pose an actual threat to anyone. With a holstered pocket pistol in my pocket I can walk around all day with my hand in that pocket, on or near my pistol, and I pose no threat to anyone (even if the pistol is cocked and unlocked).

Last edited:
I'm open to suggestions on what works for other people with a concealed carry purse that might be smaller.

I have no experience with purse or bag carry, but something like this is about as minimal as gets:

http://gallowayprecision.com/images...r-lcp-w-out-trace_galloway-precision_5463.jpg.

The minimal kydex holster covers the trigger. Loop the lanyard around something fixed in your purse pocket and when you draw beyond the length of the lanyard the kydex will automatically be removed. You can use it as a pocket holster by looping the lanyard around a belt or belt loop.

You can opt for a super minimalist option:

http://gallowayprecision.com/images/D/trigger-holster_ruger-lcp_galloway-precision_5450.jpg.

I'd prefer the first option, as it should keep pocket and purse (?) lint out of the muzzle.

Scatcatt IMHO you handled the situation correctly. If he had his head in your window, his hands could have been on your neck in an instant and you wouldn't have had time to grope around in your bag for your gun let alone try and reach for the ignition to start your car and put it in gear. Fortunately you didn't have to draw and he retreated, but you were prepared in case drawing became necessary.

I have no experience with purse or bag carry, but something like this is about as minimal as gets:

http://gallowayprecision.com/images/...ision_5463.jpg.

The minimal kydex holster covers the trigger. Loop the lanyard around something fixed in your purse pocket and when you draw beyond the length of the lanyard the kydex will automatically be removed. You can use it as a pocket holster by looping the lanyard around a belt or belt loop.

You can opt for a super minimalist option:

http://gallowayprecision.com/images/...ision_5450.jpg.

I'd prefer the first option, as it should keep pocket and purse (?) lint out of the muzzle.
Limnophile is offline Report Post

I've been looking at those and wondering how well they stay in place. It could be a good option when it's in your pocket or loose in my purse on the rare occasions. Thank you.

I have posted here before how I set up my mothers purse. I found several leather purses at Good Will. I let her pick the one she wanted for her gun purse. The outside pocket on the purse is her gun pocket nothing else is in that pocket except her Airweight and two speed loaders. I then bought the correct IWB holster and using Hillman bolts that you can find at good hardware stores bolted the holster in the purse it the draw position that she
wanted. By bolting the holster in place through the inside wall of the purse the holster and gun stay solidly in place.

I've been thinking about this myself. I'll see if I can find those old posts. Thank you.

Backing up in most parking lots is something best not done in haste under most circumstances.

Agreed. My point was to get the car in motion, even if going slow. I emphasized the relatively short amount of time it takes to start a car because of the comment that you wouldn't have enough time to do so. You interpreted what I wrote as driving like The Dukes of Hazard. Sorry if what I wrote wasn't clear enough.

With a holstered pocket pistol in my pocket I can walk around all day with my hand in that pocket, on or near my pistol, and I pose no threat to anyone (even if the pistol is cocked and unlocked).

You're certainly free to do that.

Last edited:
Aggressive panhandlers

Please don't shoot an aggressive panhandler.

I have encountered a few over the years. The behavior you detailed is typical of aggressive panhandlers. That sort of thing is less common today, as more people are CCing a weapon.

Being scared or startled is not a reason to present your weapon. Good for you that you did not do so. I totally get it.

I was visiting one of my dealers in a bad part of town (S central LA) after leaving I had a large imposing local resident approach the window of my car and say loudly.....got anything in there for me? I handed him a piece of hard candy, and rolled up my window.

Their game is intimidation......I did not play.

Scatcatt....way to go girl...you are a member of the thousands who have had the means to resist, but didn't have to display nor shoot to protect themselves. I applaud your choice of defensive moves...the hand in the purse, ready to draw if the situation went downhill, closely resembles the LE Officer who approaches a vehicle with his strong hand on or in close proximity to his side arm.

My two DIL and wife have done the same thing...hand on the weapon, but not allowing it to be seen...it's called preparedness and Cooper among others would also applaud your tactics. In our family's case, (one of the DIL's was 7+ months pregnant, your tactic allowed them to leave the scene, with children in tow, and not have to resort to high speed driving maneuvers etc.

Well done. Rod

My wife actually uses a Remora holster in a pocket of her purse. That way the trigger and safety are covered, and the stickiness of the holster's outer surface maintains a reasonable orientation for the pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back