Cincinnati Police Officer Shoots Himself

This was no accident. who pulls out their gun in public unless they are going to shoot? stupid

who pulls out their gun in public unless they are going to shoot?
Someone in a closed elevator with only a family member present that is moving the gun from IWB to coat pocket.
But I agree, not an accident, but a negligent discharge.

*See post 31

I agree that he should not have been handling the gun. Another point of it being a ND, not an accident. If he thought he needed to be better prepared for access to the gun by carrying it in his coat pocket, it should have been there in the first place. In a pocket holster!

Experts can still do noob acts.

The magazine writer who put a 1903 in his pants and killed himself...the cop who fumbled with his gun while holding something else shoots himself. Being an 'expert' doesn't mean anything. You get too casual just once and drill yourself.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Lose respect for your gun can end up with oneself losing their life.

Now virtually all my ccw guns have no external safeties, but I do wonder if in just this case a manual safety would not have kept the AD/ND from happening.

Deaf

DS, I don't think a manual safety would have mattered in this case. The officer would have mindlessly deactivated it and then pulled the trigger a few times and then rack the slide and shoot himself just as he did without the manual safety.

HOWEVER, I think a manual safety would have helped this chief who shot himself for the second time. The first time was in the hand, years ago. This time, it was because he drew his gun in a gun shop for comparison and then reholstered it with the draw string from his coat. It was a Glock. When he tugged on the coat, it pulled the draw string that pulled the trigger and the gun discharged, creasing his leg pretty good. A manual safety would have precluded the drawstring from being able to pull the trigger when the coat was tugged, assuming the guy would have bothered to use the safety.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/police-chief-shoots-himself-again_n_4638731.html

Here is the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_qdJ4IDI8

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "what a dummy" (myself being one of them) just to watch that same person make the same mistake or worse I could retire right now!

Complacency, too much confidence, lack of awareness, or being a little cocky are formulas for disaster. If I have learned anything in my near 52 years it's that even the best can and do make mistakes. When I was young I would have said "what a dummy" Now I would say "man he's lucky to learn this lesson and live to tell about it!"

Complacency, too much confidence, lack of awareness, or being a little cocky are formulas for disaster. If I have learned anything in my near 52 years it's that even the best can and do make mistakes. When I was young I would have said "what a dummy" Now I would say "man he's lucky to learn this lesson and live to tell about it!"

Agreed...titles and claimed experience doesn't impress me as much anymore as I see incompetence and bad judgment at all levels.

Yup, it was quoted a while back in this thread.
"I'm the only one in this room experienced enough to handle this Glock '40'..........BANG!!!"

I tried to just slink away after reading this. I'm curious though, how common is this? I've carried a while now, and really can't recall ever removing my piece from the holster to pocket carry it. There have been times I've cleared cover garments to have clear access. Even laid a hand on it. But that thin was just all over the place. Glad to hear everyone will live.

That night, he met his own worst enemy... And it was him.

And thanks for posting that. That's a pretty good demonstration of why you should leave your weapon holstered until you have something that needs shooting.

That's a pretty good demonstration of why you should leave your weapon holstered until you have something that needs shooting.

Sort of. There is no good reason why a gun should not be able to be unholstered and holstered indefinitely without there being a problem, if one does it properly.

Colonel Cooper laid down four basic rules for firearms safety. Not one of them said, "Always keep it holstered," yet if all four are always followed, there won't be negligent discharges. Usually, even if one is violated the other three will combine to save the day. So in any situation like this, I tend to look at it from the perspective of HOW MANY of the four basic rules were violated.

I haven't viewed this video from that perspective. In the other recent incident, in which a cop shot his finger off when a gun counter sales drone handed him a loaded pistol, I decided that all four rules were violated.

He pointed it at himself at least a couple times while trying to find his coat pocket with the muzzle ......

I doubt he wanted a hole in his middle, so there's at least one rule violation.

He did not appear to me to be treating it as a loaded gun ..... there's two.

Back