Cincinnati Police Officer Shoots Himself

Well I doubt it fired by itself.

SOMETHING caught in the trigger guard and fired it.

Maybe one of his other fingers.

Deaf

How much difference does it make if it was his finger or a coat button that got jammed inside the trigger guard? Is he less responsible if it's a button?

tipoc

There was a poster on another site who advocated removing the safety on SA autos and carrying at full cock Claimed he could never make a mistake since he was perfect in all respects! Maybe that cop is his cousin.

Jim

Well if the cop had a HOLSTER and KEPT IT IN THE HOLSTER then yea, a SA with no safety would work.

Some learn early in life a safe gun is a holstered one, others wave them around till something goes wrong, then if they survive they get a holster.

I bet this cop will keep it holstered next time, if he is still a cop.

Deaf

How much difference does it make if it was his finger or a coat button that got jammed inside the trigger guard? Is he less responsible if it's a button?

Nope, negligence is negligence. But proclaiming it is his finger when his finger is shown on the slide is just a bit silly.

This is a local story for me, this guy is actually an officer for the Erlanger, Kentucky PD. He was just in Cincinnati shopping or whatever.

Not heard anything on the local news about what "caused" the negligent discharge or exactly what the officer was attempting to do besides showing poor gun handling skills.

Must be a heck of a button to get inside a trigger guard and depress the safety on the trigger and then at least 5 lbs of continuous pressure over the trigger arcs range of movement to fire it.

Love to see someone demo this with an unloaded Glock.

Deaf

Wonder, if any hearing loss was experienced by the couple from the handgun being discharged in an enclosed metallic elevator? I heard that loud noises can be very dangerous.

So pocket carry without a holster is supposedly safe, huh.
Had he had a pocket holster to transfer the gun to, handed the packages to his wife, taken the holster out of his pocket, removed the gun from it's belt holster, and slipped in in the pocket holster before attempting to put it in his coat pocket he would not have a sore belly today!

I'm not buying the ricochet story, and I see no reason for the chief to try to pass it off as such. Whether the bullet bounced before hitting the cop or not, it was still a negligent discharge.

And the stainless steel used in those elevator cabs is about one notch thicker than aluminum foil. There's no way a bullet from a centerfire handgun wouldn't go through it if struck. And from where the gun was held, there is no angle at which the gun could possibly have been aimed that would have resulted in a ricochet that would strike the officer right where he happened to be holding the pistol.

Right, and I sort of challenged folks here and on several boards to take a look at the video and see if they can see evidence of the ricochet on the walls and so far nobody else has come forward with any insight or evidence that there was actually a ricochet.

Again, if you compare the elevator wall and floor surfaces before the couple enters and after they leave, what evidence do you see of there being a ricochet? The elevator looks exactly the same in the close of the footage as it did in the opening footage.

So yeah, you sort of have to wonder about the statement being made that there was one when there is no evidence for it. The only thing that "ricocheted" was the spent case...that the wife dutifully collected and removed from the scene.

And if it wasn't a ricochet then who shot the man? The woman? I see no evidence of her pointing a gun at the man. It is plainly obvious that the gun is pointing away from the gentleman when it fires. So if it wasn't a ricochet then how did he get shot?

I see no evidence of her pointing a gun at the man. It is plainly obvious that the gun is pointing away from the gentleman when it fires.
I don't see that at all. It looks like when he removes it from the coat pocket after fumbling with it he has it pointed right at his lower abdomen, or maybe even further South:eek::eek::eek: when it goes off.

Right, the gun recoils into view and it looks like it is pointing away, but it pointed down and inward.

This is the frame before firing...
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/HornHillRange/capturebeforefiring.jpg
So if ricocheted at this point, the bullet either went into the floor or side wall. When he leave the elevator, you will see no new marks in either of those places.

And this is the frame after firing...
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/HornHillRange/Captureafterfiring.jpg

However, if you look where it it pointed, you can see it is pointed down at the low center of the door. No mark there from bullet impact.

If he didn't have 1 in the chamber......

Yep and if attacked and didn't have one in the chamber and had to take it out of the coat first...

You do know one can short stroke a semi-auto.. that is fail to chamber a round by not fully racking it.

Or jam the auto when you try to chamber a round.

Or simply not have to hands to chamber a round.

How about instead one just gets a holster and keeps the gun in it and not wave it around.

And if you must must wave the gun around like he did, just get a revolver.

Deaf

Back