Cincinnati Police Officer Shoots Himself

Just saw this on the news, Im Not sure why he felt the need to pull the weapon out ? Was it to show off ? Or just hey look I have a gun :confused: either way dumb move on his part... ESP being a officer... Glad he was ok and no one else was hurt in this mishap...

He was not showing the gun off. He is with his wife. You can see that he is not showing the gun to her.

He was moving the gun from his pants pocket (or holster) to his coat pocket. But he was trying to open his pocket with his one hand that is holding the gun, while carrying on a conversation and trying to do this before the elevator door opened at the next floor. The gun has no external safety and his finger pulled the trigger.

tipoc

Looks to me like a case of "Stupid in Public"!

I would recommend remedial firearms training, before being allowed back on active duty.:(

FIREARM Accidents happen to COPs, Solders, private citizens, and thugs.
This wasn't an accident. It was negligence. He had no reason to remove the gun from its holster, much less be playing with it while he was doing something else.

A case of stupidity in public

+ 1 on what Lefty60 said. But I think it MAY actually rise to a case of AGGRAVATED stupidity in a No-Stupidity Zone, to wit: Public Conveyance.

I'd need a REAL attorney to be sure, though. I'M just a "keyboard attorney".

OK, if the gun was holstered why would it need to be moved?
If the gun was in his paints pocket, why was it not holstered?
If it was easier to draw from a coat pocket, why was it holstered or carried in his pants pocket?
The list goes on guys.
Bottom line “Stupid in public”

A safe gun is a HOLSTERED gun. When CCWing keep it there.

He had no call to mess with it. Fortunately he didn't kill is wife or any other unfortunate soul that would have been there (or if the door opened they would have been shot as they entered.)

Been packing CCW for 20 years using 1911, SIG traditional DA/SA, S&W 3ed Gen, Kahr, Glock, various revolvers and never had an ND/AD. And yes packed the 1911 cocked and locked, the Kahr K9 has a very light but long trigger, my Glocks have NY-1/3.5 lb connectors, and of course the revolves are revolvers.

Plus 30+ years of IPSC and IDPA and no ND/AD as well as 40+ years of hunting.

Once I leave the house the gun stays where it is in the holster.

And of course, KYFFOTFT.

Oh, and I've heard of several cops, even chiefs, shooting themselves with their guns. The more you handle the gun, especially fully loaded ones you are carrying, the more chance you will make a mistake.

This guy made that mistake. Learn from him.

A safe gun is a holstered gun!

Deaf

I have now read varying reports of him either adjusting his shirt, pocketing the pistol in the coat, to drawing the gun for walking out to the car. It has also been claimed by the police chief that the bullet hit him after ricocheting in the elevator before striking him.

I went through frame by frame and when he yanks the gun away, you can see the spent case eject. At the time, his index finder appears to be on the slide and the coat appears to follow the gun away from the body like it was somehow entangled with the gun/hand.

In looking at the before and after images of the elevator walls, floor, and door, I can't see any new marks to indicate a ricochet. Especially if it hit the stainless steel walls, there would be significant changes to the surface. Maybe somebody with better video analysis capabilities and show me where the ricochet occurred? Otherwise, I am not believing it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/darryl-jouett-shoots-himself-in-the-stomach_n_6420688.html

A lesson, keep your booger picker off the trigger. Don't fumble around with yor gun, don't be distracted. You can't see where his fingers are at the moment of discharge, just them fumbling around as he tries to put it in his pocket.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it matters to us why he decided to move the gun. Maybe a good reason or bad, we can guess at it but don't know yet. It was his decision to do it with one hand while holding a package, carrying on a conversation, in a public elevator into a pocket that was hard to get open that seems to me the questionable actions.

Of course there are different versions of what the bullet did. there has not been time to verify yet. No official report. Does it matter if the bullet did the damage or a piece of shrapnel? Either way the gentleman shot himself and will join the immortals of videodom (or videodumb) as a result.

Yep. a OSS. Add it to the statistics.

tipoc

to drawing the gun for walking out to the car.
I spoke with an officer once who carried a j frame in his pocket w/o holster and finger on trigger during all traffic stops. Apparently muzzling those he stopped without regard for safety.

Back