Choosing a Handgun for SD/HD

I've got a Bulldog in 44 for the nightstand and shooting for fun and as a good big bore backup just something about revolvers that I love. I have an WASR AK that's in my closet that is not doing me any good because I never shoot it, and probably never will. And I definitely do need another handgun, because those I actually do shoot and use. So I am planning on trading in my ak towards a nice handgun that can do me some good. Thinking of a Glock or possibly a Sig. Granted, I'd like the AK in case of SHTF, but it's not doing me any good now, and if I trade it in I could get a nice handgun that I can take to the range and get ammo for and shoot and get hopefully proficient with. I have rented a couple of Glocks, I really liked the .40 s&w and the .45, the .45 was better for me. Not sure which pistol I'll get yet. I like revolvers better than autos, I'm new to autos, and I just feel more comfortable with revolvers. I love the pre-lock Smiths and even some of the modern ones, and the Ruger SA's, but I don't like the transfer bar at all on modern revolvers. I had a friend who had a brand new Ruger with the transfer bar and it broke on him and he had to send the gun off. They fixedit for him, but still. Firing pins should be on the hammer IMO. I'm partial to the pinned barreled Smith revolvers too. Just can't beat them. Can't pass much judgment against autos yet because I'm just new to them so my opinions are limited on that platform. But I really like how Glocks seem so simple and they say they are the ak's of handguns.

But better a pistol that I will shoot than a rifle which is just leaning against the wall right.

Last edited:
Back