Choosing a Handgun for SD/HD

Talk to your buddies & shoot as many of their guns as you can / when you narrow it down a little - get to a range to rent as many as you can. Keep notes on each gun...how did it feel, how did trigger break, how did it reset, sights, weight, width, etc...pretty soon, you will realize they are not all the same.

Focus on what fits your hands the best...what controls and features you like...and what you shoot the best is what you should carry.

Stay with 9mm ...don't get all tangled up in caliber pros and cons..../ ammo is cheaper & you will hopefully practice more. If you decide on a revolver go with a .357 mag & shoot .38's in it if you want.

Don't exclude revolvers or full sized guns....a good holster and belt make carrying full sized guns pretty easy ( I carry a 5" all stainless 19 11 in 9mm )....and I will occasionally carry a 2" or 4" S&W K or N frame revolver in .357 mag..../ but you have to figure out what suits you...

Thanks, all extremely helpful comments! I realized that for a handgun I have to evaluate what my needs are, and I live in a somewhat rural area, and a little off the road, so I can usually see when someone is approaching the place in a vehicle, (unless they came via field), so if I had a little warning time (I have a dog), I would be ready. Unless of course I was surprised during the night, which is a fear. A house up the road was robbed awhile back. And there have been suspicious people seen in the area before. So the name of the game for me is a handgun that can be effective at a small distance as well as in close quarters for stopping power and relied upon for immediate knockdown. That's what it really comes down to, along with ease of use, maintenance, and being able to rely upon it. Capacity is becoming a larger factor in my consideration too.

Some say you wouldn't need more than 5-6 shots at a time anyway, but you never know. What if you miss the first times? Then, more capacity can be lifesaving. Ideally, I'd like this self/home defense gun to be good for carrying with me too, on trips or road trips, etc, for protection, but I'm also considering buying a home defense gun and then a small pocket carry gun subsequently.

I owned a gp100 once but sold it because it just wasn't practical for me, was too big and cumbersome. Most of my friends have Glocks and they seem to like them. Nobody I know has revolvers but they appeal to me because I'm just an old soul like that lol. As of now, even though I have zero experience with semi autos, I'm considering a Glock in 40 S&w or 45 acp, or an XDS. However, that being said, I still really love revolvers and feel extremely comfortable with them. I'm not a tinkerer, I don't like any gun I have to baby, although I'm a clean freak with my rifles, I am very careful about that. I have an AK, and I love the simplicity and no hassle of it. I'm looking for that in a handgun. Is it Glock? I keep hearing Glocks are the AK of handguns. Anyway, it'll probably come down to what feels best in my hands. I don't like a boxy-feeling gun at all. I like a somewhat tapered feel that feels natural in my grip. I remember with an M&P I handled once I had trouble racking the slide and it felt really foreign and awkward to me. But I'm sure I can learn.

Well, if you are looking for something that can provide "stopping power" and "immediate incapacitation" for home defense, I would strongly consider a shotgun with an 18 1/2" barrel. Assuming you can handle the recoil of a 12 gauge, you can get a reliable pump action for $200 or less.

The truth is that no handgun, regardless of caliber can be counted on to provide immediate incapacitation unless you score a hit on the upper central nervous system. Although a handgun might be a better option if you anticipate having to go through your house room to room, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 or #1 buckshot will serve very nicely for most home defense needs.

Never really considered a shotgun. Not sure I feel comfortable with that. I'll stick to a handgun and make sure it's one I can accurately shoot. I just don't know. I like the capacity of semi autos, but feel more comfortable with revolvers. It's a hard decision.

Wanting to carry it with you limits you to a pistol and a concealed carry permit. A 357 Magnum would be the lightest caliber I would recommend and you can use 38 and 38+P to get used to it. If you can handle more ten I would point to the 44 Magnum or a 45 Colt in a Ruger loaded to the higher Ruger velocities. Again you can load these down or use the lighter 44 Special ammo and the standard 45 Colt loads until you become better at handling the recoil.
I would suggest staying with double action revolvers so you don't have to remember to cock the hammer.

A shotgun is still the best home defense gun there is.

A friend recommended a DA 44 special revolver. I have to say I liked that round having shot it through a single action I had once and I shot it accurately compared to the 357 I once had. And I have leftover 44 ammo. But the revolver would only hold 5 rounds. But I still haven't ruled out a Glock by any means. Sometimes burglars tend to work in pairs, and I like the idea if having a loaded magazine in the gun plus a couple of extra loaded mags nearby if needed. This is a really hard decision, I'm leaning towards a Glock but I love revolvers. I'll just have to feel it out and see what my gut tells me. Will update when I know more.

I carry the same gun at home that I do elsewhere.

That makes a lot of sense especially if you are the only one using it. I keep a model 15 for HD so my wife who has no interest in guns can use it if needed. But it is bigger than I would want to conceal and the OP did ask for concealed and not open carry.

That would not be my choice for primary carry. It was, once, but that was before I availed myself of some good defensive pistol training,

Thats a personal choice that each of us has to make for themselves.

I would not make a decision on the basis of anecdotal stories in a magazine--particularly when the only accounts published concern incidents that turned out well for the defender.

In some cases anecdotal stories are all we have or are at least the biggest data base available. They are not internet stories but first hand accounts from real people.

Ever is a long time, but I agree that 12 would be on the high end of the distribution.

Six is better than five, and more so than most people may think. Seven is still better. I happen to carry eight, but I would prefer ten. Twelve would not inconvenience me.

I will agree that if you can carry more rounds there is nothing wrong with that. I remember reading an Evan Marshall (IIRC) article and the switch from cops carrying a 6 shot revolver to a 9 shot model 39 had made the difference between a cop winning a gunfight or losing a gunfight. If you have the means and ability to carry a gun with more rounds than a 5 shot 38 then go for it.

OK, your turn.:D

Interesting post and you have received a lot of response. The best way to be happy with your purchase is to buy quality guns. You seem to know that.

For HD, I like a light and 10 rds min of ammo in a mag.

For ccw, i like light and thin. Ill take a few less rounds.

Almost regardless of purpose, i like a gun that has a shootable trigger and a decent grip. 1911 type is best, but XD's work too.

The glock 23 and xd you mention are fine guns, but think through the safetyless carry gun. I think Glock is a poor choice until you commit to being able to work it second natured without ND.

If you like revolvers, something like a Kframe 357 makes a great home and decent ccw. Reloads and 6 rounds are your limiting factors.

Yea, I've had revolvers before and liked them. I'll probably end up with a few of both, and I learned my lesson of the past, never buy a gun unless you know you're probably going to keep it and are 100% confident in! I'm doing my homework this time around. Main concern now is for a home defense/nightstand gun, but one that could be a car gun if needed too. Don't have a security system yet, so concern is to have ample ammo if needed.

As someone completely new to semi autos, if I went that route, is a Glock the easiest/simplest one to try

A Glock is no simpler or easier than any other striker-fired, polymer-frame pistol without an external safety.

If Glocks work for you, fine. If not there are many options nowadays that might work better. These include, but are not limited to the SIG P320, HK VP series, Walther PPQ, Smith and Wesson M&Ps, various Rugers, Steyrs, Springfield Armory XDs, FN FNS, and the list grows longer every day.

Really appreciate all the tips & recommendations. I can't knock semi autos by any means because I've simply not tried any of them yet. So I can't knock what I don't know. When I have handled them, they made me uneasy simply because I'm not familiar with them like I am revolvers. I love the 44 special round, and tempted to get me a Bulldog in that caliber. I'll just have to go out and handle and shoot some autos and feel them out. As of now, tempted to get a Bulldog for the night stand and perhaps a Beretta Tomcat for pocket down the road.

As someone completely new to semi autos, if I went that route, is a Glock the easiest/simplest one to try

Buying a Glock will get you:
-A gun with no safety....some people like it, but i seem to recall reading about a lot of ND's with safetyless guns.

-A gun with plastic 3 dot sights. They work, but is that good enough for you?

-A polymer frame. Light, but slick in cold weather.

-A heavier, hard to learn trigger, but it is quite capable.

-Higher capacity than comparable size guns

-Durable finish.

-Reliable to a fault!

^^^Yea I keep hearing that Glocks are the AK's of handguns. I like larger capacity. I have no doubt I'd like a Glock once I got hang of it. I have slender hands though and remember that I had some problems racking the slides on the semi's. Maybe gets less awkward over time.

As of now, tempted to get a Bulldog for the night stand and perhaps a Beretta Tomcat for pocket down the road.

With your fondness of revolvers, I am with ya by the way, I am a revolver guy, I think your on the right track here. Not necessarily your choices but your thought process. Like mentioned before, there really is no one perfect gun, a revolver for the night stand then a auto for the pocket is a pretty sound plan.

I enjoy shooting my G17 but I don't enjoy trying to carry it and do my job as a grease monkey. For me, carrying a S&W Airlight or Airweight works. The shape and weight of these small revolvers are easy to carry but difficult to shoot well. When I quit wrenching in a few years, I'll probably go to a more capable handgun but for now, it must be easy to carry.

For home defense, I see no reason to handicap myself with just a small J frame but I try to carry it all the time, even at home. The primary home defense firearm for me is a 12 gauge shotgun with a light mounted but I can't carry that around with me all the time.

Moving to an XD gives you:

-same easy to rack slide
-steel 3 dot dovetail sights, but a couple fewer options
-grip safety and optional frame mount thumb safety
-a better, but not great ootb trigger
-1 Rd less capacity except in 45
-more ergo grip, and mod 2 is way less slick in cold, I'd bet
-a tad more slide width, except in 45
-a handier mag release
-infinitesimally better magazines. XD mags are everything a magazine should be.
-more ergo slide release
-better trigger, yes, the actual part feeling...which, yes, does matter...I think Glock is sourcing their triggers from a glove company, because you need leather on your finger to pull the serrated(read sharp) trigger.

I have a CA Bulldog and like it a lot. It is pretty easy to carry. 44 special is a great round. It is one of my preferred carry pieces, and I wouldn't feel at all unarmed using it for HD.

I'm a revolver guy too. I prefer my 4" DA 357 for HD. For the shooting range my Blackhawks are my favorites.

If you're a revolver guy, get you a revolver. That's what you're comfortable with. It will serve you well. After that, if you want to get used to semiautomatics, you can get a surplus service pistol to practice with. In the past year or two I have bought... I don't know... probably close to (embarrassing number removed) of them in the $200 to low $300's range.

Last edited:
I just have this affinity for revolvers that I can't explain. Part of it is loving all things vintage, and part of it is appreciating the old school stuff. I think I've made my decision, at least for this one, going to go with my favorite caliber, the 44 spl in the bulldog. I'll probably check out a small semi or maybe a little 22 mag for pocket carry down the road.

Now that you are back with revolvers, you might look at a 45 auto with moon clips for hd.

For carry, I really like the 640-1 or the scandium version for in the pocket.

I'll probably check out a small semi or maybe a little 22 mag for pocket carry down the road.
Might I suggest some training first--defensive pistoltraining. See how quickly you can draw from concealment and how rapidly you can score hits on a target that's close to you.

I ended up sacrificing concealability for those attributes. That meant going to a somewhat larger handgun and giving up pocket carry for a waistband holster.

Back