Choosing a Handgun for SD/HD

kyguy1

I'm a fairly new shooter/gun owner, and despite having a couple rifles, I don't currently have a handgun for self/home defense. I'm planning on getting one, but no clue what to get. A year or so ago I got a couple revolvers based on kind of falling in love with them, but they were too big and not practical for carry/defense, although they would have done well for home defense. I sold them in order to purchase a rifle that I wanted. But I feel vulnerable without a good defense handgun...I've never handled semi auto pistols at all, but I like their capacity, and ergonomics in case of needing to carry..I feel a bit more comfortable handling a revolver, because I have handled those before, but I find them a bit bulky too. I won't be carrying concealed too much, although I'd like a gun I could put in a small holster if need be on occasion..And, this gun will also serve as a nightstand/home defense gun. I'd prefer something in a larger caliber too. I'm considering a Glock 23 in 40s&w just because I love all the things people tell me about Glocks. Or maybe a Springfield xd in 45 acp, I handled one once and it was so comfortable in my hand. I'd be open to a S&W Shield. If I choose a revolver, some I'm considering are a S&W 442 or 642, a Charter Arms 44 bulldog, or Magpug 357 magnum, whichever type of gun I choose, I won't be spending much over 450-500 bucks. Just weighing the pros and cons and wanting to find that perfect balance in one package. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would recommend a Glock. They are very simple to operate and maintain, very reliable, mags are cheap, the list goes on. They are proven.

I like 9mm Glocks the best, such as the model 19, especially for a new handgun shooter. The 9mms are easier to handle and you get more rounds in the mag. I'm not going to start a caliber war though, if you are dead set on larger caliber, the Glock 23 or 30S are great choices.

Everyone has their preferences and I'm sure you will get a lot of various responses. It's hard to go wrong with most of the choices you've listed.

If your looking for .40 caliber or better a Glock 27, M&P40c, FNS40c are a few that I have experience with and would highly recommend for a dual role SD/HD handgun. Out of the three the M&P is my favorite.

Or maybe a Springfield xd in 45 acp, I handled one once and it was so comfortable in my hand.

Ergonomics is very important to this discussion. If the Springer points naturally you are likely looking at a winner. Find a range that rents guns and has one in their inventory. Rent it and try it out. If it is good in your hands while firing it you have found your winner. A few bucks spent on a test drive is money well spent.

I don't care for XD's; they don't fit me. There is nothing wrong with them functionally, they just don't fit...same for Glocks. However, as I started out with, ergonomics is very important in a SD weapon.

Consider a Ruger SR9c. IF it has to be a 40, the SR40c. They are small-ish, come with an abbreviated magazine, but the full size mags fit, to add extra capacity. You can carry with the small mag, and use the larger mags for home defense. The SR series has been available for a long time, and they are proven pistols. Ruger has the best customer service in the industry, IF you would ever have an issue. The SR series is an easy pistol for a new shooter to learn on, and they are accurate, and reliable.

I have owned two Glocks and did not keep either of them. They are excellent guns but I didn't care for them. I have used the EAA Witness series for home defense and for carry but these days my choice is the S&W SW in 9mm and 40. It isn't the fanciest semiauto around but it is well built and shoots well. I don't know if they are still made but they should be. I'll probably add another to my collection. They are fun to shoot and very reliable. Cost is very good. I think it is a good choice for emergency use.

Rick H.

Rent a couple of different guns and try them out. My first handgun was supposed to be a Glock 19. Read all the reviews and thought it was "perfect." I picked up a Beretta PX4 (9mm), and bought that instead because it felt right in my hand. Shoots the best of anything I own.

Overall, I'd agree with Overkill. Glock for a new owner is a great choice. Robust, easy to field strip and clean, reliable, eats anything. A G26 will be fine. Small enough to toss in the glovebox or carry with a winter coat, but large enough to shoot easily. Most people think the G19 is perfect sized, small enough to carry, large enough to hold 15 rounds. I have both, but have only carried the G26.

From my experience smaller (physically) guns are harder to shoot accurately, until you work with them. Grip is a bit different, and recoil (muzzle flip) management a little harder. (I'm talking G42/43, Ruger LCPs and LC9s, S&W Bodyguard et. al.)

My rule, have to put 200+ rounds through a gun before I consider it to be a SH/HD gun. I also try to put 50 rounds/month through a carry gun.

I say go glock. But I might add, in a HD situation, might I suggest a HD shotgun. I keep my g21 next to me for a backup but I'll reach for my shotgun first .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP, I'm going to see if I can help you narrow this down, because you're sort of all over the map. Right now, you've narrowed your choices to: a revolver or a semiauto, somewhere between subcompact and full-sized, in one of about four calibers.
kyguy1 said:
. . . . I'm considering a Glock 23 . . . . Or maybe a Springfield xd in 45 acp, . . . S&W Shield. . . . S&W 442 or 642, a Charter Arms 44 bulldog, or Magpug 357 magnum . . .
Please understand that I'm not being snotty here. I point this out because I really want for you, as a new shooter, to get something that you really like.

You really need to get out and rent some pistols. Plan on spending a little $$ up front on this, because it will help you avoid Buyer's Remorse later. So let's take a look at what I consider to be the essential factors in your post:
kyguy1 said:
. . . . handgun for self/home defense. . . . . I won't be carrying concealed too much, although I'd like a gun I could put in a small holster if need be on occasion..And, this gun will also serve as a nightstand/home defense gun. I'd prefer something in a larger caliber too. . . . . I won't be spending much over 450-500 bucks....
So: HD/SD, occasional carry, larger caliber, under $500. I'm one of the guys that thinks the G19/G23 is an almost perfect jack-of-all-trades guns. I'd suggest looking into a few guns comparable in size for your purposes. They're large enough to shoot well, but small enough for carry. I carry a G19, but the G23 is the same size. Some things I really like about Glocks: Reliability, simplicity, and more aftermarket support than I will ever need. I have to admit, though, that the G19 is in a field crowded with good guns: S&W M&P, Ruger SR series, some CZs, etc. Again, go rent some guns. Figure out which ones you shoot well, and which ones feel good in your hand.

The only hangup here might be getting out under $500, particularly if you intend for that to include peripheral expenses, such as a belt and holster, ammunition and maybe a class. You might consider looking at used pistols, but that naturally has its own hazards for the new buyer.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Glock 23 is an obvious choice, but if you are comfortable with revolvers, I would also recommend the S&W SD40 (aka Sigma Gen 3). I like the SD & the SW model lines. Basically a Glock but with a heavier trigger. Some say crappier, but I only shoot revolvers in DA so the heavy trigger is no big deal for me.

For the new shooter, I do not recommend Glock. Most new shooters are not comfortable with Glock because it because it is (basically) single-action and has no traditional safety. So, what many Glock owners do is they keep the gun with a full magazine, but no round in the chamber.

First, figure out if the gun is really going to be for home defense or carry. If you already have your Cary Permit, and you will only have one handgun, then I'd probably pick a small .357 revolver. Something like the Kimber K6. It's a small, concealable, 6-shot .357. If that's too expensive and you want to go cheap, then look and see what Taurus has in a small .357 revolver.

First, figure out if the gun is really going to be for home defense or carry. If you already have your Cary Permit, and you will only have one handgun, then I'd probably pick a small .357 revolver. Something like the Kimber K6. It's a small, concealable, 6-shot .357. If that's too expensive and you want to go cheap, then look and see what Taurus has in a small .357 revolver.
First, try the firearm before buying. Small guns, whether semiautomatics or revolvers, are more difficult to shoot effectively that larger ones.

Should you be seduced by the siren song of the .357, make sure that you choose ammunition that permits you to practice extensively and to shoot controlled shots very rapidly. Look for premium loads in .38 Special for carry, and practice loads with very similar ballistics.

I firmly believe that a first handgun should be a double action revolver.
Get a good, well made modern gun. I prefer Ruger. They are one of the strongest guns made. You will find special sections in most reloading manuals for Ruger and Contender because they are strong enough to take more pressure than other guns. You can load a revolver down or shoot the less powerful Special cartridges in the magnums and get used to shooting with low power loads while working up to the magnum loads. If I was buying a a gun for self defense today it would be a 4" Ruger GP 100 357 in stainless steel.
Why not a self-loader? With a revolver once the cylinder is empty you know the gun is unloaded. It is simple With an auto you have to remove the magazine and then clear the chambered round. It is easy to forget that chambered round until you get used to handling the gun. The other thing about semi-autos is the complex feed and fire mechanism. The first thing you learn in handling the auto-loader is how to clear a malfunction. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence but it is necessary because they are prone to malfunction. That doesn't mean that any particular gun WILL malfunction but it can happen. If a malfunction occurs when your life is on the line you are in trouble.
Revolvers rarely malfunction but if they fail to fire you just pull the trigger again.

If you live in the city with neighbors around you you need to remember that a pistol round is going to go through your walls and likely through your neighbors walls too. A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun is a far better choice for home defense than a pistol.

A word of "discouragement"...

A bigger heavier handgun with big sights is better for the range and HD. They are easier to shoot well.

For CC I very much prefer something considerably smaller and lighter, and I want it to be safetyless and snagproof.

I don't own a handgun that I feel is anywhere near ideal for both roles.

Personally, I would get a medium-framed 357 or largish 9mm service pistol, and practice til I was good with it. After that I would look for something smaller to CC.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Yes,try before you buy and perhaps get some instruction. I personally think you should be a pretty good target shot before attempting SD training. "Speed and power are fine, but accuracy's final." And in a stress situation 100% familiarity and comfortability with your defense handgun is a must.

I'm not a fan of "try before you buy". Here's why:

1. Most guns you will be able to rent are not good for concealed carry - they will be full-sized range guns - mostly of the polymer frame variety, 22's and old revolvers. Most gun-friends aren't going to let you run through their arsenal shooting various guns. They might let you shoot the one or two they reserve for "friends".

2. If you stick with quality, like the gun, it fits for CC purposes, feels good in your hand and you have no problem working the action/controls then buy it, use it and if you want something different in the future, sell it and buy something else.

3. You are not going to know if you really like a gun until you've owned it for some time and shot it a lot.

4. There's just something about owning a nice quality gun that you can be proud to carry and/or shoot that does something for me. Do you need to rent and try out various watches before you buy one? No, you buy the one that does something for you, tickles your fancy, and ENJOY it!

I think some of the people around here put way more thought into buying a gun than they do a car or even a house! For the most part, we are talking a sub-$1,000 purchase!

The two that jump out at me when I read the OP's opener are the Glock 19 and the CZ P-01. The P-01's are hard to find, and for the right reasons, unless you order a new one. So if you can find a decent P-01 in your price range, I'd recommend you snap it up. The G-19 is a decent second choice that is easy to find, but get the CZ anyway.

You are probably going to get as many different suggestions as you will responses to this question. They are all likely to have some merit. And you should probably ignore them all, including any advice I offer.

Only you can decide what handgun is right for you and you can only do that after having gained some experience. So the one piece of advice I would take to heart is to go out and try some different handguns.

I have actually found at the local range I frequent, fellow shooters are often happy to let you shoot a magazine through their gun if you are polite and show interest. People like to show off their firearms, and that is one way to do it. There are local indoor ranges near me that have a pretty wide selection of rental handguns in different sizes and calibers, including compacts and subcompacts like the M&P Shield.

The decision making algorithm is somewhat complex. First you need to choose between revolver and pistol. Then you need to select the trigger action. Revolvers will be single action only (think cowboy guns), double action (the most common variety which can be fired uncocked or after cocking the hammer, or double action only, which often have a bobbed hammer that cannot be cocked. Most revolvers do not have an external safety.

For pistols you will need to decide between all-metal or polymer-frame, striker-fired or hammer-fired, and again, trigger action. Single action pistols like the model 1911 have a relatively short, crisp trigger pull that can be made quite light, and virtually always have an external safety or safeties.

Double action only (DAO) hammer-fired pistols have a relatively long and typically somewhat heavy trigger pull much like the DA trigger pull of a double action revolver. DAO pistols generally lack external safeties. There are also "enhanced" double action only triggers like the SIG double action Kellerman (DAK) or Heckler and Koch LEM.

Traditional double action or DA/SA pistols have two different trigger pulls, somewhat like a double action revolver. The DA trigger pull is long and heavier and the SA trigger pull is shorter and lighter (although usually not quite as light as the SA trigger pull of a double action revolver). The big difference between a DA/SA pistol and a double action revolver is that the slide action cocks the hammer after the first DA shot, so that all additional rounds in the magazine can be shot SA without cocking the hammer. Most DA/SA hammer-fired pistols have a decocker lever, and some also have an external safety.

And then there are striker-fired pistols. Some of these are categorized as single action only and some double action only, but the trigger pulls are much unlike those of a single action hammer-fired or double action hammer-fired pistol. They vary in the length and weight of trigger pull, but most are rather more like a single action pistol with a medium to moderately heavy trigger pull than a double action revolver or DAO pistol. Most striker-action pistols lack external safeties, although there are many exceptions. There is also one striker-fired pistol that actually has both DA and SA trigger modes and a decocker button, the Walther P99.

DAO revolvers, DAO pistols and the vast majority of striker-action pistols have a consistent trigger pull length and weight that does not change shot to shot. For so-called DAO striker-fired pistols, slide reciprocation is required to pretension the internal striker. The significance of this is that they typically do not have second strike capability like a DAO or DA/SA pistol. Pulling the trigger will not do anything if the striker is not pretensioned.

After you have decided between revolver and pistol, hammer-fired or stiker-fired, and trigger type, you can then consider size and caliber.

The significance of the trigger type is that it greatly influences ease of shooting and handling safety. Many feel that double action revolvers or DAO hammer-fired pistols offer the greatest safety in handling because the rather long and heavier trigger pull helps prevent an unintentional or premature discharge. Traditional double action (DA/SA) pistols offer the relative safety of the long DA trigger pull for the initial shot with lighter, shorter trigger pulls for followup shots. Many people feel safer carrying TDA pistols with a round chambered, decocked, with safety off (or no safety) than they would a striker-fired pistol with a shorter and typically lighter trigger pull.

In my opinion, the easiest handgun to learn to shoot accurately is probably the single action, hammer-fired pistol due to its consistent and crisp trigger action. But using a single action pistol safely requires an absolute mastery of engaging and disengaging the safety effectively, especially if it is to be used for self-defense. And many people are simply not comfortable with the idea of carrying a single action, hammer-fired pistol "cocked and locked" (hammer cocked, thumb safety on).

In my experience, the second easiest handgun to learn to shoot accurately is the striker-fired pistol with a consistent trigger pull that is generally shorter and lighter than the DA trigger pull of a hammer-fired revolver or pistol. Most striker action pistols also have simplicity of controls with no external safety (usually) and no decocker.

DAO revolvers, and DAO hammer-fired pistols also have simplicity of controls and consistent trigger pulls, but the trigger pull is much longer and often heavier than that of most striker-fired, or single action, hammer-fired pistols. It is simply harder for most new shooters to keep the sights properly aligned during that longer, heavier trigger pull, so these weapons may take longer to master.

Double action revolvers have two different trigger pulls, but if used in a self-defense scenario, they will almost certainly be shot in DA mode only. So if you choose one of these make sure you consistently practice with it in double action.

Traditional double action pistols require mastery of two quite different trigger pulls as well as the transition from the DA to the SA pull, which again can require a longer period of training to shoot effectively. They also have either a safety, a decocker, or a combination safety/decocker lever to master.

In my opinion, choosing the type of handgun and type of trigger action is far more important than selecting the caliber. I shoot most of the common handgun defensive calibers (9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 357 SIG, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum) and there is something to be said for all of them, but the recoil characteristics can be quite different and very dependent on the size and weight of the handgun. Recoil sensitivity is very subjective, so again, only you can decide on what caliber is most appropriate for you. I will say however, do not consider buying a small and relatively light revolver with the intention of shooting 357 Magnum through it without first trying it.

Last edited:
To me a HD gun and a CC gun are two different guns. I will say up front I always recommend a revolver. For HD and 4" barreled revolver in 38/357 will do the job. For CC I would say a 5 shot 38. But if you really like the idea of an auto for CC a Glock 19 or a S&W SD9VE is a good, less expensive alternative.

I have read the Armed Citizen in the NRA mag off and on for many years and I cannot ever remember reading of anyone ever firing more than 6 shots in a defense situation. If they did I missed it. To me idea of 12+ rounds is a comfort but I doubt they would ever be needed by an armed civilian.

Enjoy the search. Thats half the fun.:D

To me a HD gun and a CC gun are two different guns.
I carry the same gun at home that I do elsewhere.

For CC I would say a 5 shot 38.
That would not be my choice for primary carry. It was, once, but that was before I availed myself of some good defensive pistol training,

I have read the Armed Citizen in the NRA mag off and on for many years and I cannot ever remember reading of anyone ever firing more than 6 shots in a defense situation.
I would not make a decision on the basis of anecdotal stories in a magazine--particularly when the only accounts published concern incidents that turned out well for the defender.

To me idea of 12+ rounds is a comfort but I doubt they would ever be needed by an armed civilian.
Ever is a long time, but I agree that 12 would be on the high end of the distribution.

Six is better than five, and more so than most people may think. Seven is still better. I happen to carry eight, but I would prefer ten. Twelve would not inconvenience me.

Back