Choice Browning Hi-Power or Beretta 92?

Can't go wrong with either

It depends if you prefer a single action or a DA/SA pistol like th 92. I like the thin lines and single action trigger of the High Power, but the 92 is a fine weapon. You can find hi cap mags easily for both pistols. I think the HP is a bit more accurate than the 92 for range work, but for a home defense gun, so what. The 92 holds 15 in the mag, while the HP holds 13. Both are military pistols, but the 92 is the more modern design. Toss a coin or get both!

Pilot

I'd choose the Beretta. At home defense distances accuracy is the same. The new Elite II's are very impressive. If you want to mount a light on it I believe Surefire makes a mount for it.

Both guns can bu tuned up by a good gunsmith and I've seen Rensom rested Beretta's that have been tuned that shot less than 2" at 50 yds.

Good Luck

Beretta

I chose Beretta over Browning. I liked the feel of the beretta and had heard better things about it that hi-powers.
Shoot 'em both though before you buy!

@ndy

Both are extreemly proven designs, IF both fit your/spouse(s)hand(s) then the real issue is ...

"Do you need/desire the ability to simply pull
the trigger on a chambered round to fire the gun"?

The Beretta. The Hi-Power's grip is too small for my hands. I had one several years ago and it shot great. If you have normal sized hands the Browning will work fine.

Not a lot to add. Both are fine handguns. If you like the traditional double action, go with the Beretta. If you like single actions and don't mind carrying in condition one, go with the Browning.

The Beretta is a much larger feeling than the Browning. The Browning is generally acknowledged as one of the most comfortable/ergonomic designs available. The Browning makes a decented concealed carry handgun.

The Hi-Power has been around for 65 years: it has
withstood the test of time.

The Hi-Power was designed by the greatest gun
designer of all time: John Browning. It was
his improvement over the 1911 .45

When you put the Hi-Power in your hand...you
will know. You will feel intuitively that this
is a great gun.

I shot one of those Beretta 92s once. The grip
is unbelievably thick and uncomfortable. The gun
is ugly. The one I was using jammed after 3 rounds.
My Hi-Power never jams.

BHP

Pick it up and see. The first one I touched become spot-welded to my hand and I just had to take it home with me.

Seriously? Both are high quality...I never liked the feel of the beretta. As everyone has said, the issues are SA only or DA/SA, and hand-feel.

Mike

Here's my .02 cents.

It would really depend on how experienced you are as a shooter. All single action pistols like BHPs and 1911s have a safety you have to swipe off before shooting. A real liability for untrained hands.

If I felt I was disciplined enough I would choose the Browning, but since I'm not, I choose modern designs with longer initial trigger pulls with no safeties. Personally, I don't want to overestimate my own abilities under intense stress. Even most federal and local law enforcement agencies only allow highly qualified personnel, like SWAT and HRT members, to carry single action autos. (The Browning HP used to be carried by the British SAS). If you feel you can dedicate yourself to a single action auto, by all means.

Its a superb design and will remain a viable choice until the day we have guns that shoots lasers.

And no I'm not an old guy.

I prefer the BHP because of how it feels in my hand. The grip isn't blocky, not unlike the Beretta's. However, I wouldn't turn down the chance to own a Beretta for the right price. I luv'em all !!! :D

I choose and use the BHP - carry and compete with it. As compared to the Beretta, it's more compact, with a better trigger, and has superior ergonomics. The Beretta is mechanically a good gun, but big for a 9mm...anything that bulky should be at least a .45.

Way to big???

Way to big? Only if you have little girly hands!:P

I was a confirmed Ruger freak until I made the mistake of picking up a Beretta 92FS, it was love a first feel. I have no experience with the Brownings (except that I live about 15 miles away from their offices in Morgan, UT), they may make a fine firearm. But firearms are a very individual thing, there are a ton of glock fanatics, and I only had to hold one for about 30 seconds to realize that I would never own one. On the other hand I hear people whine about the size of the Beretta, yet my wife (petite, little thing) likes mine as much as I do.

Try them and then decide for yourself. As for the previous comment about no Berettas read between the lines - Rugers, Berettas and Taurus, no Brownings!!! So there.

Terry

Back