Changing EDC based on time of year?

My EDC does vary. Sometimes an LCP II, sometimes a full size XDM with 20 rounds in it, sometimes a SW 642, etc! I practice with all of them, I practice my draw with all of them. I have favorites, sometimes I carry a full size just because I CAN and it makes me happy. If I am wearing shorts and I'm coaching my kids soccer team, I carry what I can!

I use two CC guns, LCP and G23. Sometimes I carry a single sometimes two but weather or clothing has nothing to do with it. I can conceal the G23 just as well with shorts and oxford as jeans and flannel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like big calibers and I do not lie...

Well, that statement is 50% true. :)

If it's cold and I'm wearing a coat, there will be a 44 caliber revolver in my coat pocket.

If it's hot outside (North Central Texas), I carry something smaller.

Thanks for all the responses. I like seeing the carry experience through other people's eyes!

I'm considering a few models for a "winter pistol." I'm having the age-old argument with myself about power vs. capacity. Do I want to carry something bigger that holds more (15-17) rounds of 9mm, maybe in +P, or do I want to get not only a larger/full grip doublestack pistol, but one that fires a completely different, more powerful round (.40, .45, 10mm). I would stick with the same manual of arms either way (polymer, striker fired, no safety, etc.). This still leaves dozens of options.

The other way of looking at it (in my limited view) is carrying the same pistol year round, and using standard 9mm for 6 mos., and switching to 9mm+P for the colder 6. I've already decided to do at least this.

But I like guns, and I want to buy a new one. So there's that. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about my gun penetrating a few layers of cloth.
Anyone who does, doesn't know much about guns.
BTW- traditionally, crime goes up when it gets hot, and down when it gets cold.

Although I live in the Sunshine state now, I was born and raised in upstate NY's cold, snowy winters. Aside from hunting season I didn't change my carry gun. I did change my carry method. Belt carry when it was warm switching to a shoulder holster when the temperature dropped. Wearing layers of long johns, sweatshirts, and coat I felt it was easier to access the firearm from a shoulder rig.
YMMV

I carry a 1911a1 year round my method of carry does change when it get very cold I use a shoulder holster when it is not OWB.

I have Snake Season, and the rest of the year.
When snakes come out, we have Copperheads, CottonMouths, and Timber Rattlers where I live. I carry revolvers most of the time with a couple shot shells up front unless I am going to town. My revolvers normally carried would be a 2" Model 64, a 3" Model 66, and the Snake Destroyer my 480 Ruger Alaskan.
It is December, and I am carrying my Glock 23 Gen 4 most of the time. I will carry my 1911 Colt once in a while just because I like it.

Bob

I'm having the age-old argument with myself about power vs. capacity. Do I want to carry something bigger that holds more (15-17) rounds of 9mm, maybe in +P, or do I want to get not only a larger/full grip doublestack pistol, but one that fires a completely different, more powerful round (.40, .45, 10mm).

I think this is a fun argument to have. Bill DeShivs is right that heavy clothing won't do much to impede penetration. (Neither will most of the things people hide behind in movies and TV.) However, heavy clothing can interfere with the expansion of hollowpoints. You can always increase mass or speed within your personal recoil tolerances. Some people actually advocate switching to solids for winter carry. FMJ is certainly cheaper but there are premium defensive solids on the market now. Just search YouTube for gel tests of Lehigh "Xtreme Penetrators" in your favorite caliber. In 10mm or .357 Sig, those could easily serve double-duty as an outdoors load.

Ah yes, it's long jacket weather here in KY...and I'm back toting my Sig .45 1911 RCS...alternating with a new acquisition; a Browning Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W. Rod

Yes, for the simple fact that I wear coats/heavier clothing during winter, which means it's easier to carry a larger gun with a longer barrel. Sometimes a 1911 or 92FS in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mag holders in winter (that's 55 rounds of mayhem in the Beretta! :eek: ).

But most of the year, it's what is now called a "mid-sized" 9mm with a 4" barrel IWB or OWB.

Ammo for each gun is always the same.

Yes.
Not as much because of the clothing a possible attacker might be wearing, but because of the clothing I will be wearing. I prefer having the most firepower that I can reasonably conceal. In the hottest summer weather that may be just an LCP.
But with more coverage from heavier clothing I can easily move up to a Kahr CM9, or Springfield XD40 Sub Compact.
In the coldest weather, requiring a heavy Winter coat that could hinder access to my IWB holstered gun, I also coat pocket carry a Ruger LCR 38 Spcl. loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. +P ammo.

Yes, but not because of clothing. I tend to go with a lighter gun in the hottest months as the weight of my 1911s only bothers me in the high heat.

Else I tend to stick with a full/duty size carry the rest of the year.

Yea, more clothing makes it easier to carry bigger guns. But bigger calibers don't penetrate heavy clothing any better. A 9mm will penetrate heavy clothing at least as well as a 40 or 45. It's about the bullet, not the caliber.

During temperatures requiring a heavy coat, I can conceal/carry my .357 Ruger Blackhawk or my Service Six. I'm very comfortable with either.
During warm seasons, it's Wranglers pocket carry .38/.380, or maybe shoulder holster carry .380/9mm mak over a tee shirt but under a Hawaiian shirt.
If all else fails, it's an NAA .22LR mini or NAA .22mini-mag.
I always want to carry something, regardless of what I'm wearing.

My carry piece is the FNH FiveseveN all year long, every year. With 21 rounds of "personal loads" making around 2,000 fps/40 grain FMJ, I'm satisfied.

I don’t change my carry guns or loads depending on the seasons. Most of the time I’ll just have a S&W 442 on me, year round, and occasionally a P938.

The only exception is there are times in the summer when I can only carry an LCP, but those times are pretty rare. I think I got my LCP out twice this past summer to carry.

Yes.
Not as much because of the clothing a possible attacker might be wearing, but because of the clothing I will be wearing.
In the coldest weather, requiring a heavy Winter coat that could hinder access to my IWB holstered gun, I also coat pocket carry a Ruger LCR 38 Spcl. loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. +P ammo.

This is where I'm at. Yes you can conceal a larger weapon under a heavy coat, but if you go indoors and take it off, it may also print more easily. If I'm wearing my usual flannel shirt under a zipped up heavy coat when it is really cold, it is impossible to draw a belt holstered pistol with any speed. The hand warmer pockets on most coats allow quick access to a gun, but generally only smaller ones will fit. If weather allows, I will leave my coat unzipped for better access to my primary gun, otherwise, I add a second gun (something like an LCP) to the outer coat pocket.

I get the argument one the why. It's easier to conceal a larger handgun with more clothing and more clothing MAY impact bullet performance.

However the counter argument is that it is much easier to maintain proficiency with a single firearm than two. I don't see switching from a 9MM in one platform to a .40 in the same platform gaining much. Maybe a .357 SIG? but I doubt that gains you enough to matter.... Personally I would not do it.

Pick your firearm, gain and maintain proficiency with it, and carry good defensive ammo. Then quit worrying about it.

Back