CCW question

As Craig points out, if you are using an ATM and someone approaches, you have to ask yourself whether he is after your money or coming over to withdraw his own after you have finished your business.
Etiquette demands the next person is still on the sidewalk or at least 8 or 10 feet away from you, depending on ATM placement, certainly still outside, if the ATM is mounted in a vestibule. I've had a few go-arounds with ATM "customers" in the past. The ones with their cards in their hands, especially those still on the sidewalk are, of course, the least of my worries, normally. Others have come right up behind me, and those I'll turn to face. Usually it's "I'm next!" or something like that, and I'll respond with "Not until you give me some space!" The ones with their cards in hand will usually say, "Oh, sorry" and back off, others with both hands in pockets or simply questionable in another way, will generally either harrumph and back off, cuss and simply leave, or in one case, take it a step further. In that case, the guy asked me who the hell I thought I was. I responded, "Somebody that doesn't want anybody looking over their shoulder while I am punching in information!" He softened a bit and backed off quite a bit, but I still glanced at him every couple seconds. He did use the machine after me, as I was getting in my car. Another time at the same ATM, I was just pulling money out and noticed some guys out of the corner of my eye appearing at the corner of the building and one starting to divert from the sidewalk toward me. I spun around putting my hand on my gun and he immediately angled back to his buddies with a look of bewilderment on his face, and they kept walking as if nothing was ever planned. I hate ATMs that are placed in this way, even though they are put there with the intention that it is a busy street, and so many witnesses. Problem is, criminals are getting bolder all the time. The ATMs I frequent now are both drive-up, and I prefer them far more than what I was used to in the Detroit area. Also, a far better area, but I'm still watching my mirrors all the time.

Situational awareness is key.

Training for something other than gunplay is also key.
Martial arts, ANY, is better than not being trained at all.
I've seen old Tai Chi dudes kick royal buttock...you'd never imagine they could :)
So join the nearest to your home, or the one that you think looks the best...doesn't matter.
Just get trained. You can always get More training. Learn the basics, then improve.
Find what works for you and learn it inside out.

Next...weight training.
I'm here to tell you that it is a huge help, just don't go overboard.
Low Weight, High reps. Low weight, High Reps. Low Weight, High Reps. Make it your mantra.
Used to be massive, as in Lou Ferrigno massive...
now due to High Weight, as many Reps as possible, I've got Degenerative Disc Disease.
Found out the same results could have been achieved by supersets and low weights,
and there would have been no DDD, no pain, and a better health outlook for my Golden Years.

And unless you WANT heart problems, don't mess with Steroids.
Ever wonder why all those Pro Bodybuilders & Wrestlers kick off around 50??
That's Why.

Situational awareness is key.

Training for something other than gunplay is also key.
Martial arts, ANY, is better than not being trained at all.
Couldn't agree more. Boxing, wrestling, body building in the past, and currently looking for Tai Chi in the area. Can still handle myself better than most my age, but seem to have lost a lot since my late 40s.

Stevie-Ray said:
The ATMs I frequent now are both drive-up, and I prefer them far more than what I was used to in the Detroit area. Also, a far better area, but I'm still watching my mirrors all the time.
I've always disliked ATMs and hardly ever use them anymore now that almost everywhere I shop takes plastic and the fact that you can get cash back from groceries, Target, etc.

stagpanther said:
Let's say you are carrying and 1 or more aggressive individual perceive that you are armed--and decide that you're an easy mark taking you on and attempting to disarm you and take your weapon. Essentially--within the 6 or 7 ft personal space zone they are a potential but "unproven" threat.

Can you articulate to a jury how someone attempting to draw a gun at you poses an immediate, potentially lethal threat? Can you articulate that it doesn't matter whether the gun they're trying to draw is on their belt or yours?

Related: If you're being attacked by someone within arm's reach, you don't have a gun, y'all have a gun. It's probably best if it stays in the holster until you've bought enough space to make it just your gun again.

Back