CC Where to you carry your extra magazine(s)

Bigkrackers: Perhaps I didn't make it quite clear enough. The little baggie doesn't completely cover the mag, only the holes that would catch lint, and the rubberband is only tight enough to keep the bag from falling off in my pocket. If I try to take the mag out of my pocket the bag and band always come off. I am only using this until I can find an acceptable mag pouch. The leatherman pouch idea isn't too bad, but I would have to stuff some kind of filler in the bottom so I wouldn't have to fumble with digging the mag out. The LCP mag is pretty small for most pouches I have seen. I tried the watch pocket idea, but was worried about losing the mag from the pocket. Granted the baggie idea is not the best, sort of Redneck, but it is the best I have found at this point.

I would like to get an IWB double mag pouch, something like what crossbreed offers but I need to be sure it fits my "less then common" magazines.

For now though carrying 2 in the weak side back pocket has been working. It's quite comfortable despite what you (what I) thought it was going to be like. However access is not as fast as a open top mag pouch.

What's your source for that style of mag holder? Thanks

Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a few days. I ordered it from:

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.php

It's the Joab Appendix carry. There's a holster and a mag pouch. I don't have the holster, but I ordered the Mag pouch. It actually came in a few days ago (he says he has a 2 week backup on orders right now, but mine shipped in a week). I've been using it since I got it and I love it. I hardly know it's there. It's very comfortable, and since it sits along the belt instead of perpendicular to it, it's easy to conceal and it doesn't dig into my stomach when I sit down. It holds the mag very nicely, and ha adjustable retention. It's a bit spendy (about $50 after shipping), but worth it, I think.

Good topic....

This is a good subject.
I gave this point some thought a few years back & decided I'd carry spare mags in rear/back hip(right side). I'm left handed & would want to maintain the same draw/reload method for duty-uniform details as a EP or concealed carry(off duty) draw.

The back-rear carry method would conceal the spare mags but still have a swift smooth motion.

Muscle memory & reflex are common too. You won't shift around looking for magazines in a high stress event. ;

P1010978-1.jpg

dillonprecision.com sells this item.
They call it: SOS-DL (One Magazine, One Tactical Light Pouch)

If I'm lazy, I carry one in my weak side cargo pants front pocket. When more industrious, in a Jeff Hays OWB mag carrier.

Doesn't carrying spare mags OWB (unless it is a discrete pouch like one that looks like a knife pouch), kinda defeat the purpose of CC?

Also, are there any pouches that are better for single stack mags, as opposed to the wider double stack mags? I've got a Shield (single stack) and am specifically looking for one that covers the mag (like a knife pouch on the belt look).

I carry my spare magazine in my left front pocket, if I've got the 709 Slim on me.
However, I plan to get an XDM9 Compact or XDM40 Compact sometime this year, so IWB all the way.

Also, are there any pouches that are better for single stack mags, as opposed to the wider double stack mags? I've got a Shield (single stack) and am specifically looking for one that covers the mag (like a knife pouch on the belt look).

The one I noted was good for both 1911 mag and M&P as it was slightly flexible.

Doesn't carrying spare mags OWB (unless it is a discrete pouch like one that looks like a knife pouch), kinda defeat the purpose of CC?

It depends. Many people can conceal a handgun in an OWB holster. Under a concealing garment, even if the mag pouch prints, it'll look like a cell phone holder, or knife holder. However, I have an OWB mag pouch that conceals very well, under nothing more than a T-shirt. I've already mentioned it in this thread, the Dale Fricke horizontal mag pouch.

Obviously if you're wearing a tucked shirt, it's not going to work, but in that case most traditional methods of concealment won't work anyway, unless you have a coat or vest on over, in which case, this mag pouch would still work.

I just applied for my ccw and I bought a fobus double mag paddle holster for my 1911 mags, easy on/off, secure and hides easily under an untucked shirt.

Back