CC handgun for 300 bucks

Regardless of what you end up with, you will be trusting your life to a $200-$300 handgun.

If it seems to be in good shape (there is an excellent sticky for examining revolvers in the revolver section here) and you shoot several hundred rounds through it with no problems, whatever you get will probably be okay.

I trust my life to inexpensive handguns often, the difference being that I have owned them for years and put many hundreds or thousands of rounds through them.

As far as my experience goes: I have owned about ten Taurus, and only one has given me problems. I don't love the feel of my Charter Arms revolvers, but they have both gone bang every time and the company has a good reputation for customer service. All of the Eastern European new/surplus service weapons I have owned have been sturdy and reliable. My one Kel-Tec has been very good. I have limited experience with Rossi or Armscor.

If you can order something surplus from a company like AIM Surplus or CDI Sales that have very good reputations, you should be able to get something in your price range shipped to your local FFL.

Good luck to you! :-)

Well right now I can get the armscor 206 Snubbie about 100 rounds of ammo and a speed loader for around 300 bucks plus shipping and the FFL dealer for 20 bucks. So that's around 330 - 340 for everything. Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. I'm still going to wait till Friday to make a choice and still go out and hold a few pistols and call my buddy up and see if he's willing to go out and bring his armscor revolver so I can get a feel for it.

I still think the Sccy is too small for you given your stated requirements. The trigger is pretty lame and the recoil is probably more than a recoil sensitive person will like. If you are thinking Sccy though DO give the Kel-Tec some more consideration. The two are very similar but the Kel-Tec has very strong community support on their own forum. Tips, tricks, and even aftermarket parts to make your pistol better. The Taurus double stack would definitely be a better choice if you need to go that small.

The Armscor revolver is the same weight as the SAR I suggested earlier.The SAR will probably be easier to conceal. Longer but flatter.

Last edited:
I have read good things about keltech. The only one I got to put my hands on is a p32. 32 is kind of a wimpy round but the gun was small and fit well in my hand and fit into my front pocket with no snags. I'm more of a all metal gun guy but darn that gun fit in my pocket and felt like nothing was even in it.

I would have alot more trust in a 380 then a 32 when it comes to stopping a bad guy, but last time I shot a compact plastic 380 the recoil was rather unpleasant and my shots were going everywhere. I know practice makes prefect but I don't want a gun that I don't want a shoot. If the guns hurts me or I don't feel like I can put the shots were I want them, I don't want to carry the gun.

Stormtron said:
I'm still reading great things about the armscor model 206 snub nose but it seems hard to put your life on a 200 dollar revolver.
Armscor has been in business for a long time, and they have a stellar reputation. You should never carry any firearm until you have fired 'X" rounds through it to prove that it's reliable (where 'X' ranges from 200 to 1000 rounds, depending on which "expert" you're reading at the moment). If you find an Armscor M206 doesn't work, send it back and they WILL fix it, no questions asked.

I trust it enough that when my late wife expressed an interest in having a revolver for home defense when I'm at work, that's what I bought for her. I still have it. I prefer to carry 1911s, but the M206 has never missed a beat at the range.

M1911.org did a review a few years ago: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?140-Armscor-M200-Series-Revolver-Review

Last edited:
I may pick it up. I'm tempted to just get one online right now but I'm going to wait it out till I get my hands on a few more guns today when I go out. Although at first I was leaning more towards the semi auto but I'm more used to a revolver. The only guns I've owned personally so far was a heritage rough rider 22lr. I liked shooting the single action so much I sold it and and got a single six. I take that gun out almost every weekend and love it, but my money's tight this time around.

my pt111 has been impressive, if innacurate, but the sar b6p compact oozes quality for $250 from sportsmans guide. I would spend the extra fifty, you can see amd feel the difference.

In your price range, the Taurus PT111 G2. Mine has been nothing but reliable, and it is a great middle ground size - better capacity than the little single stacks, but almost as small. It's easy to conceal, and the grip length gives just enough room for my whole hand. The best part: $200 price tag.

stick with revolvers

since you enjoy the ruger single six (i do too) stick with revolvers for a faster learning curve. my first and always handgun is a taurus model 85 steel 38spec that i got gently used 30 years ago when i was young and poor. i swapped out the wooden grip for rubber pachmyr. the steel absorbs recoil and the exposed hammer lets you shoot single action. i can hit much better than any ultralight snubbie 38s, which have too much recoil. i would think that you can get a gently used steel 85, that now comes with stock rubber grips, 1 speedloader, a bargain bin holster and a box of 38spec range ammo for about $300 if you look around. this setup will serve you well and reliably.

I may be too late to this party, but there are some good revolvers at the $300 mark. The Rossi 461/462 is a 6 shot 357 that is excellent. Charter Arms makes the Police Undercover 38, a 6 shot. They also make a 5 shot ported 357, the Mag Pug, that is just a few dollars over the $300 budget. I have experience with all three I mentioned, and all are excellent revolvers. I like the Charters because they have models that are DAO, with a spurless hammer, or for an extra $20, you can buy the spurless hammer, and its a 2 minute install.

Last edited:
Taurus PT-111 G2.

Handle one, and you'll see why. Utterly dependable, fairly accurate, great trigger with a VERY short reset. Second strike capability.

$200-$250.

I don't own one but have fired one several times. That was a Diamond Back Arms DB9. Nothing to brag about but it fired and hit the target every time. But remember that is only one gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/72970/Diamondback+DB9+DB9+6+1+9mm+3"

72970_1.jpg

LC9s Pro. LC9s if you must have a manual safety. The trigger is sweet, MUCH better than the original LC9. It's a hair over $300. 2 weeks running I shot it about as well as I did my full sized CZ75BD at 10 yards. YMMV.

PT111 G2 is my top pick. The LC9s would be my top choice for a single stack. The G2 is a great little reliable pistol that packs an unusually large amount of bullets in such a short/thin package. People will gripe about Taurus, but check out the user reviews on the major seller's websites, and you'll see very few bad remarks about this model. I couldn't ask much more from the G2 even if it costed 300$ instead of 200$. The only thing I would complain about is I could use a flush mag for better pocket carry, it seems to be a perfect pocket gun except that tiny little point of plastic shows. Still, you should get one.

I was close to buying the DB pictured above, but after researching user reviews I kinda got cold feet, but it has as many happy customers too, and if it was problematic, most seemed to get appropriate CS response.

I only have a budget of around 300 dollars because me and my old lady are saving up for a Disney trip this Holiday season

A co-worker's husband got her an SCCY 9mm. I had a chance to look it over.

It's OK, I guess. A bit chubby in the grip for a pocket gun. IMHO&YMMV. But it is a double stack 9mm. You'd defiantly want to run some rounds through it first before trusting it. Magazine looked a bit cheezy, but my understanding is that a particular S&W magazine will work as well.

Ruger Lc9s or pro is a option but only comes with one magazine 310$ shipped plus applicable FFL transfer free.

Or a Smith&Wesson Shield for 340$ shipped plus applicable FFL transfer free.

I saw Glock19 Gen2 Police trades for 360$

Back