CC handgun for 300 bucks

Stormtron

Inactive
I'm a sub contractor and been getting a lot of jobs in rough parts of Harrisburg the past month or so. I only have a budget of around 300 dollars because me and my old lady are saving up for a Disney trip this Holiday season. I'm looking for something decent and don't mind buying a good used gun or surplus gun for the right price. Went to a gun show last week and looked at a few guns in that price range and came up with a few choices a liked being
A bersa thunder 380 acp
A keltech p32
And a cz 82
The only gun I own currently is a ruger single six I use for plinking with the buddies on the weekend. Just looking for some piece of mind of having a decent carry gun when I'm working in rough parts of town without breaking the bank. Don't mind if it's revolver or semi auto as long as it's reliable.

I won't try to give you advise on a particular model. I will, however, try to steer you to a particular caliber. Stick with regular 9mm. The reason is cost. It sounds like your budget is tight. A CCW without ACTUALLY PRACTICING with it is useless. 9mm ammo is by far cheaper than .380 - you can frequently get decent practice ammo at Walmart for $11/box. If you can only afford $300 for a weapon, then your ammo budget is also going to be tight - therefore get a firearm which will allow you to shoot a chambering that fits best within that tight budget.

My 2 cents:
.32 is a wimpy round... why bother with it when there are 9's as small now?...

I'd consider the SCCY:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/93778/SCCY+CPX-2-TTDE+CPX2+10+1+9mm+3.1"

SCCY's production is way better now than it was few years ago... Lotta bang for the buck and 15oz. weight... Nice size and capacity... Looks nice too.

If you want to go really small, the LCP is highly proven and popular:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ucts_id/54585/Ruger+LCP+3701+6+1+380ACP+2.75"

Last edited:
Good advise from Doyle. $300 is a tight budget, as you are aware. Used guns will open more possibilities, but you need to research on what to check & be willing and able to do maintenance and "fluff & buff" on some pistols. With that caveat, I'm going to take a shot at some options.

9mm semi-autos:
Kel Tec PF9 - I've had one,worked well for me; thin
Kel Tec P11 - I still have one; thicker than the PF9; works well for me; it's my truck gun for traveling into unfamiliar areas - 10 round magazine capacity & I carry 3 magazines
SCCY - a copy of the Kel Tec P11; gets pretty good reviews
Ruger LC9 - the older hammer model to be in budget; thin; well made
Taurus PT709 Slim - haven't used one, getting really good reviews now
you may find an older used S& W like the 469 or 6904 in your budget, but they are large for cc

If you really need smaller, go with .380acp caliber; ammo is more expensive than 9mm:
Bersa Thunder - as you mentioned
Kel Tec P3AT - I have 2, work well for me; they push the limit on small size for the caliber
Ruger LCP - a higher quality copy of the P3AT

Hope that helps some.

I wasn't going to give a pistol recommendation but I will now. Hi Point C9. They are butt ugly and have the ergonomics of a brick but they are very dependable, have an iron-clad warranty that the manufacture absolutely backs up, and are dirt cheap. You can get a good used one for about half your budget.

Bersa BP9CC and Ruger LC9S are both easily obtainable at aprox $300.00
The LC9S only comes with one mag which is kind of a bummer.

Thanks guys. I got a few buddy's that have some 9mm cc guns I could have them bring out and see how they feel. I'm a pretty small guy so I wouldn't want to go anything bigger then a 9mm as far as conceal carry goes. My buddy has a Walthers ppk 380 and it's a nice a little gun, that's what kind of Drew me towards the bersa. I was also looking at a few used S&W model 10 snub nose as well.

S&W snubnosed model 10s usually go for much more than $300. They have become prized with the collector crowd.

Yea my buddy has a hi point c9. The mag it came with broke and he sent it back and got it replaced. Shoots great every time now. Ugly and heavy but works well and puts the shots in the right place and I can pick one up now for 150 brand new at the gun shop up the street. I will be looking into a few different 9mm.

Went to a gun show last week and looked at a few guns in that price range and came up with a few choices a liked being
A bersa thunder 380 acp

Would be my choice, of those you specifically mentioned.

A keltech p32

look for the P3AT, or one of the copycats from a different vendor. Same thing, in .380. That said, all of them are too small to shoot well. IMHO&YMMV

And a cz 82

The one example I've had a chance to mess with, was very nice but had a problem out of the box with the magazine release.

Others:

If you see a real Makarov (the Polish and Hungarian guns are not Makarovs), grab it. They're not the super deal they were a decade ago, but they're still a worthy, reliable gun.

Kel Tec PF9. Bigger than the P3AT, in 9mm. Hard ont he hands, but can be a good gun, once tested.

I'm seeing good reports (Interwebz Hearsay, worth every penny you pay for it) that the Taurus Millenium 9mm, Generation 2, is reliable for people.

You might be able to find a good Taurus .38 snubby in your price range.

I do like the bersa a lot and heard tons of great things about them, but I still want to shoot a few 9mms first. Personally I prefer an all metal gun but it's not a must. I'm a small guy so recoil is a little bit of a concern. I've shoot some tiny plastic 380s that had to much snap to really be accurate. The price of ammo is slightly a concern and 9mm is a lot cheaper. I do really like 38s, the recoil is nice and doesn't make me feel under gunned but I've heard some bad rap about cheaper Taurus revolvers. I was also looking at a Rossi 38 snub nose but I've also heard some spotty things about them.

Do yourself a favor and just check out the SAR B6PC. I put it in a 12 dollar soft leather IWB holster that I picked up from Ebay and I literally forget it's there. Extremely comfortable to wear all day. I was, like you, a fan of all metal guns. This is still a hammer fired gun. It's a soft shooting double stack (13+1) CZ pattern gun. And don't think that the double stack is automatically too big. It's not. Mine and those of pretty much everyone I have read about has been totally reliable..

The .380 Bersa is OK but blowback guns are going to have some pretty harsh recoil if you're sensitive. A heavy 9mm or a Plastic 9mm will both be more comfortable to shoot. You don't want to go too small either. I started going in that direction and then I realized that compact was good for practically every situation.

Not really trying to push this gun but I hate to see someone go too small and regret it. Especially on a tight budget.

st,

There are a number of pistols which meet your near-$300 price range.

Check out www.summitgunbroker.com. He has used Glock 23's at $329 and Kahr CT-9's for $299. As well there's the SW Sigma listed at $329 new on Gunbroker. The used ones go for cheaper. Also take a look at the used Stoeger offerings which are made in Turkey on Beretta supplied machinery.That's about all I can think of at present but I'm sure others will suggest other options as well.

best wishes- oldandslow

Polish P-83 from Wideners. $200. 9x18 which is a little more powerful than .380, and excellent defense rounds are made my Hornady (Critical Duty). Ultra reliable, and accurate. I have two of them, and carry one a lot.

Stormtron

Yea my buddy has a hi point c9. The mag it came with broke and he sent it back and got it replaced. Shoots great every time now. Ugly and heavy but works well and puts the shots in the right place and I can pick one up now for 150 brand new at the gun shop up the street. I will be looking into a few different 9mm.

If you would trust your life to a HiPoint, I might not be able to help.

Seriously, at $300 to $350, an XD9, S&W M&P 9, Shield 9, Kahr CW would all be great guns.

I agree. You should go with 9mm or better for SD. A .40 S&W would be fine too if you find one in your price range. I would suggest a SAR B6PC for your budget and requirements. Very under rated and high quality guns. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/88391/SAR+400424+B6PC+9MM+13RD+3.8IN
My daughter n law just got her a B6P and I will tell you that it is a nice little gun. Easy and fun to shoot. It was hard to rack the slide at first but has eased up since breaking it in. I also agree that you should look at the SCCY. American made and a lifetime warranty. I have a couple of friends that bought one for their first hand gun and still shoot it in a regular basis.
Good luck and let us know what you get.

If you would trust your life to a HiPoint, I might not be able to help.

Although I personally wouldn't want one because they are ugly and clumsy feeling, I see FAR, FAR fewer failure reports from them than I do from Kimbers costing many times more.

Back